Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Adios Chris (Colabello)

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:21 AM

apperently Chris Colabello is headed to the far east for about 1 million dollars, the Twins are trying to sell him to KBO to clear a roster spot for Kurt Suzuki. Hey Cola , good luck , im glad your getting a chance at a good payday , I also hope you rake over there,and if you see any good pitchers , give Terry a call will ya?

Edited by johnnydakota, 21 December 2013 - 01:24 AM.

#2 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:54 AM

I can't imagine the payday is that good although I imagine he will get paid higher than the MLB min if the posting fee is 1M. I think Chris could be pretty successful in the Korea (or Japan). I'm not so sure about the MLB but he seems like a type that could put up some big numbers against AA/AAA competition.

I don't disagree with this move but I find it ironic that TR is basically selling a player.

#3 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:44 AM

The story
http://sports.news.n...e_id=0002679898

The headline

[h=4]LG, “외인타자 콜라벨로 리스트에만 있다”[/h]
기사입력 2013-12-21
14:02 Posted Image

[FONT=굴림]

[TABLE="align: center"]

[TR]

[TD="align: center"]Posted Image[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/FONT]

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:07 AM

Definitely a strange 1 a.m. on a Friday night story, for sure. Kind of comes out of nowhere. It is something that happens, but Colabello just got his big league taste, so he might want to try to stick. Or, he might be able to go to Korea and cash in, which you couldn't blame him either. He would have to OK the move, so I'm curious how this plays out.

#5 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:00 AM

It would have been in the afternoon in Korea. KBO pays foreign players a max of $300,000. Better than AAA pay, but that is not cashing in

#6 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:10 AM

If he rakes for a whole season (and I would expect him to do so) he can probably come back and sign an MLB contract for about 1-2M I would guess? On a poor/average team, you could do a lot worse than play him as your 1B, or platoon him there or in the OF. I honestly think he would hit .320 with some power in an MLB platoon.

#7 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:11 AM

It would have been in the afternoon in Korea. KBO pays foreign players a max of $300,000. Better than AAA pay, but that is not cashing in

How about signing bonus? Incentives? Perks? Could that number flesh out a bit?

#8 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 3,909 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:15 AM

Not sad, not angry. Colabello's is a nice story. He got to play major league baseball after being passed over for years. He just couldn't hit at the mlb level at least in a part-time role. Best wishes to him.

#9 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:19 AM

It's surprising that they would pay 1M when the max salary is only 300K.

I don't think it's likely that Colabello comes back and is able to sign a guaranteed MLB contract. It's more likely that he goes to Japan if he is able to. 1+M is not uncommon for foreigners there.

#10 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 3,909 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:30 AM

What is Youk going to make? I realize he's going to Japan, but I thought I saw something saying he was going to get $5-7M.

#11 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:35 AM

He really wasn't terrible in his first attempt in the MLB. He was older when he came up but he was still a rookie. There is still a learning curve when it comes to hitting MLB pitching. I Really hope they let him stick around I would prefer they don't add anyone else and drop Fryer. We don't need him on the 40 man at this time and his contract is ridiculous anyway so I don't think anyone would take that.

#12 TNTwinsFan

TNTwinsFan

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:48 AM

I did the Google translation on the article. It looks like he is on a list of players for consideration, but nothing concrete just yet....The translation was pretty fun to read. Ya'll should try it.

#13 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:53 AM

Max ammount is the money as they had a salary cap from what I read. Perks like a place to stay, transportation and entertainment I am not sure about.

#14 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:54 AM

What is Youk going to make? I realize he's going to Japan, but I thought I saw something saying he was going to get $5-7M.

Japan has deeper pockets.

#15 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:56 AM

My understanding from other articles is KB is "relaxing" the rules a bit for foreign players. Allowing teams to expand how many foreign players they can take, and additional compensation on top of the max 300,000 salary.

#16 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:03 AM

I did the Google translation on the article. It looks like he is on a list of players for consideration, but nothing concrete just yet....The translation was pretty fun to read. Ya'll should try it.

Good advice. If Collabello doesn't leave for Korea, "Coke bellow" might become a new knick name.

#17 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,724 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:24 AM

For those of us who prefer English, Berardino did a nice summary:

http://blogs.twincit...eaded-to-korea/

It was only in 2010 that they sold Keppel's contract? These last 3 years have been reeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy long.

#18 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:46 AM

According to that last article, Colabello would have to approve it. Can't tell if this was his idea or the Twins' idea.

I'd be a little sad to see him go, as someone else posted above, I think he can have a measure of success in MLB. Get the right splits and he would be one of the Twins better hitters, at least for now. I wouldn't be surprised for him to hit .280+ and 15HR+ in about 380-420 ABs, though maybe just a hopeful ceiling, but that was my thought. Although, I kinda thought Parmalee could put up somewhat similar (a little lower) numbers - and that doesn't look like it'll happen.

Has there been another offseason where it seems the Twins are so active? Maybe I just can't remember the other offseasons that well.

Is Plouffe safe?

#19 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:54 AM

Youk - $2MM signing bonus, $2MM salary, $1MM incentives

http://www.mlbtrader...n-youkilis.html

#20 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:01 AM

Is Plouffe safe?

Yes - for now at 3B. After Sano comes, as a corner OF or Super Utility. As for next year - not if he doesn't improve.

#21 DuluthFan

DuluthFan

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:16 AM

He really wasn't terrible in his first attempt in the MLB. He was older when he came up but he was still a rookie. There is still a learning curve when it comes to hitting MLB pitching. I Really hope they let him stick around I would prefer they don't add anyone else and drop Fryer. We don't need him on the 40 man at this time and his contract is ridiculous anyway so I don't think anyone would take that.

If you are referring to Fryar's contract, he is making close to the major league minimum. While he is not expected to make the 25 man roster out of spring training, he will be at Rochester filling a catching need there. He will also be able to be called up if Pinto or Suzuki struggles at the major league level. Yes, Fryer is not a long term solution to the catching situation. He was never meant to be. He is a short term emergency backup plan to get through the season if something happens to Pinto or Suzuki.

Colabello was in a similar position. He was brought into the system to fill Morneau's place in the short term if he struggled. First base is essentially filled everyday for the next 4-5 years now with Mauer. He will play full time. There will be few at bats available from 1st base for anyone other than Mauer.

#22 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:39 AM

Fryer is valuable in a role of working with pitchers in Rochester. I am not sure the Twins would lose him if they took him off the 40, but I do think he has more value to the organization that Colabello.

Vargas and Hicks are both at an age where they need to be playing AAA and AA next year. With Mauer's move to first, Colabello is squeezed at both ends.

#23 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 3,909 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:04 AM

Colabello is squeezed at both ends.

That's got to be painful!

#24 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:05 AM

I agree with both of you. Thanks for changing my mind! My thought process was Colabello could DH platoon with Kubel/Parmelee/Arcia or Pinch hit. I think his bat could play in the majors and would like to see him stick around on this continent. I wonder if we have tried to shop him around the league.

#25 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:06 AM

I read the headline and thought it was Parmelee, nuts, it's the other Chris.

#26 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:30 AM

I did not know that , so the Twins get 1 million and the player only gets paid 300,000?
I expected Chris to go to Japan where he could earn a nice 1-2 million dollar payday,
well nice concidering last year he earned about 250,000 between the majors and AAA

#27 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 987 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:33 AM

It would be great for Colabello, cashing in on his Twins season and maybe making $300,000+. Yes, he could do similar here if called up for an extended amount of time. I think if the Twins "sell" him, they still retain some control over him if he comes back here. Not sure how all of that really does work (if he needs to go thru waivers now or then). After toiling in the indy leagues forever at modest pay, and spending two seasons with the Twins on a minor league contract (he got a bump when added to the 40-man).

Youklis is a different story. Japan pays more. Lot less than he made here. He might be a king over there for the next few years. He wanted to be closer to home, but they will treat him like a king and he can bring his family along and spend a season in Japan, which is a great experience for the family. He wasn't getting any deals from the teams he favored, it seemed.

Back to Colabello. He was a GREAT story, but will be pushed by Vargas and Hicks in the minors, and Parmelee is still around in the majors (does Parmlee have another option, or is he out this year). You can find an AAA replacement part. So it is money in the Twins bank.
Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#28 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:39 AM

The sad thing is , we wont really know what his ceiling could have been, Once Justin was traded, Colabello should have been in the line up every day , a 1 month try out, make or break , but when you are jacked around as much as Cola was last year is a bit harder to show what you can do ...

#29 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:47 AM

Back to Colabello. He was a GREAT story, but will be pushed by Vargas and Hicks in the minors, and Parmelee is still around in the majors (does Parmlee have another option, or is he out this year). You can find an AAA replacement part. So it is money in the Twins bank.

Chris is the odd man out--somebody has to go from 40 man and it is him. He is competing with Parmalee, Kubel, Willingham and Kubel (and Plouffe when Sano comes up) for 2 spots DH and RF/LF (Arcia has one.) Vargas has spot at Rochester. Too many bodies and Chris is 30 years old.

Go to asia and take the money and run.

#30 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:54 AM

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe a player has to clear waivers (if under team control) to be sold internationally. I also believe that there is a gentleman's agreement between the MLB teams that if you have a deal in place to sell a player, that other teams won't claim him.

Regardless, once you sell a player's rights, you have no ties to him if he ever chooses to return.

My take: If it comes to the point where the Twins are looking to sell him, he'll at least want to explore his opportunities here first (i.e. - be placed on waivers and if he cleared, then be sold).