Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Twins sign Yohan! (Not Johan)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:47 PM

Yohan, not Johan. Yohan Pinto was once a pitcher in the Twins system until he was the PTBNL in the Carl Pavano trade.

Welcome back, Yohan!

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,433 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:47 PM

I remember at the time of the trade just being upset that the Twins would give up someone like Pino for Pavano... It's part of the reason that things don't bother me anymore, I think.

#3 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:07 PM

Always liked Pino. Good for him. Sorta surprising he's never gotten a cup of coffee in the majors. He has over 100 starts in AA/AAA and over 200 appearances there.

#4 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:17 PM

I remember at the time of the trade just being upset that the Twins would give up someone like Pino for Pavano... It's part of the reason that things don't bother me anymore, I think.

Completely agree, Seth. I had the same reaction (I believe I read about it on Seth Speaks not positive though). I was quickly ok with the move and, over time, forgot who we gave up for him. After Correia, I don't really get to worked up over FA signings. I will voice my opinion of if I agree or not but I will no longer swear off the team because of a move that they make.

#5 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:20 PM

Pino is an interesting case, his k/9 (8.0), bb/9(2.2) and k:bb ratio are all pretty damn good in the minors.

Last year he put up a nice 1.35 ERA and nearly 9k/9 in his time as a relief pitcher, also his starting numbers weren't terrible either.

Potentially could become a nice cheap bullpen option for us, and a potential spot starter as well (Could be a cheaper Swarzak down the road)