Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

From MinnCentric

Photo

MLB Pipeline - Callis (Pirates) and Mayo (Twins) pick best draft of 2013

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 InfraRen

InfraRen

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:54 PM

Cool to see that Mayo liked the Twins draft the best out of anyone last year, highlighting Stewart, Eades, Gonsalves and Turner.

Check it:

http://wapc.mlb.com/...ent_id=31271123

I was all the way for Stewart last year, but it's Gonsalves that has me excited from this class. Shoulda been a 1st rounder, but couple ticky-tack things dropped him. Lucky to have gotten him and got him to sign.

Hopefully Eades can become a decent 3/4/5 type of guy.

Edited by InfraRen, 17 December 2013 - 02:58 PM.

Till I Collapse

#2 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:08 PM

Haha, you literally just beat me to posting it.

I prefer Callis to Mayo, by a large margin when it comes to prospecting, but I like his ideology here. While the Pirates are the easy choice, like the Blue Jays next year, because they have two choices in the top 15 picks the Twins did well without any extra picks. Personal I like a few drafts better than the Twins but we had a great draft. Hopefully next years is even better!

#3 InfraRen

InfraRen

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:12 PM

I agree on Callis>Mayo, was going to say that but forgot. But either way, cool to see the recognition. Add in another highly skilled player at #5 this year and we'll be on our way in a couple years.
Till I Collapse

#4 howieramone1406390264

howieramone1406390264

Banned

• Banned
  • 715 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:24 PM

This is great news!

#5 JP3700

JP3700

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:24 PM

Thanks for the post. Appreciate all the news and updates you two (giving cmb some credit too) bring us about prospects and the upcoming draft.

I really liked the Twins' draft. My favorite was the Stuart Turner pick. Defensive catchers seem to be where the game is going. As long as the bat comes along, looks like he could be a good one.

#6 Smcginnity

Smcginnity

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:44 PM

I like the Twins draft too but not as much as the Pirates. I think they came away with better overall prospects. I don't think Eades will amount to much but I do think Gonsvalves and Stewart will be studs and Turner will become an everyday catcher.

#7 2wins87

2wins87

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:13 AM

Gonsalves might end up being the biggest steal of the draft coming out of the 4th round. If I remember correctly it was mainly a lack of command and consistency that dropped him down the boards before the draft, and his command didn't seem to be egregious in the small statistical sample last summer, certainly no worse than Eades' was. I'd rank him ahead of both Eades and Turner.

#8 maxisagod

maxisagod

• Members
  • 342 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:14 PM

I'm a fan of what The Royals did in the first round. By making predraft deals they were able to get Sean Manaea and Hunter Dozier. There was no way Dozier was going to be there at pick 34, and Manaea got paid like he wanted to even though he was injured. I don't know how the rest of their draft looks compared to the Pirates or the Twins, but it was a bold move.

#9 InfraRen

InfraRen

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:49 PM

Yeah I really like what the Royals did too. With the crapshoot that is the MLB draft, if you can lock down two of the top 30 or so guys, much better odds one of them pans out. If both do you've hit the lottery.
Till I Collapse

#10 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:25 AM

Twins have been hitting on their recent drafts. Whoever was put in charge of that has been doing a very good job lately. Makes it easier drafting in the top 5, but the secondary picks have been money.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#11 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:26 AM

Twins have been hitting on their recent drafts. Whoever was put in charge of that has been doing a very good job lately. Makes it easier drafting in the top 5, but the secondary picks have been money.

I wonder if there's a sabermetric component to luck in the draft. It sure seems like after the bad drafts they had a few years back that things were bound to change. I agree with your assessment here. So far it looks like they've nailed the last couple of drafts. 2013 was a weak draft, but I find myself pretty excited about several of the picks. I have a feeling a lot of teams are going to regret not drafting Gonsalves in particular....

#12 RinaldiPhotos

RinaldiPhotos

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:51 PM

Yeah I really like what the Royals did too. With the crapshoot that is the MLB draft, if you can lock down two of the top 30 or so guys, much better odds one of them pans out. If both do you've hit the lottery.

Dozier was born in '91 and projects as a 3B. Probably doesn't have much "star" potential and quite honestly I feel like it was a lazy pick when you consider McGuire got a 2.4 bonus, Crawford got a 2.3. Granted the slotting scale for those picks are different, but you assume you can get them at around 2.6 or so instead of Dozier at 2.2. Crawford as touched on by an analyst has "star" potential, and McGuire is TBD- but someone I really like. Both are also 3 years younger and have more potential than Dozier despite Dozier having a higher base.