Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Morneau 2014

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:27 PM

Now that Morneau's signing with the Rockies is official. I am curious to read what you folks think his offensive numbers will look like at the conclusion of the 2014 season.

My take: 25ish HR's • .280ish BA • 60ish BB • 620 PA's

My prediction with the HR's is based on the assumption that Morneau plays the whole season with Colorado and is not traded.

#2 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:18 PM

you realize that the 25ish HRs would be close to his career high, right?

I think that the Steamer projections: .276/.345/.461 19 HR, 49 BB, 553 PAs might actually be optimistic.
[TABLE="class: rgMasterTable"]
[TR="class: rgRow grid_projections_show"]
[TD="class: grid_line_regular, align: right"][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#3 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:55 PM

I think that the Steamer projections: .276/.345/.461 19 HR, 49 BB, 553 PAs might actually be optimistic.
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

If Andre Gallaraga can hit .370 and win a Batting Title at the age of 32 after it appeared his career was washed up - I do not think it is outlandish to predict Morneau hitting 25 HR's while playing half of his games at Coors field in 2014.

#4 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:03 PM

Andre Gallaraga did not have a concussion bad enough to make him a shadow of his former self and close to replacement level for 3 seasons...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#5 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:03 PM

My challenge is batting average. I think it's feasible that Morneau hits 23 or so, maybe 25. If he hits it in the air, he still has plenty of power. His bat speed looked so slow, that I question his average. My prediction is home run or out at Coors field. .260 batting average.

#6 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:19 PM

Andre Gallaraga did not have a concussion bad enough to make him a shadow of his former self and close to replacement level for 3 seasons...

I respect your opinion. This thread was created to simply visualize what TD poster's predictions are for the fun of it. My prediction was based on the offensive friendly environment that is Coors Field. I do not want to be argumentative over something that holds no real value to myself. I will take your Steamer Projections as your prediction. If your prediction is different than that - let's say 12HR's • .220BA • 12BB • 400 PA's - that is great. Let it ride.

#7 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:29 PM

My prediction is after seeing the number Justin puts up ,Joe asks to be traded to the rockies and plays 3rd base and wins another batting title and the 3 amigos get there ring they should have won in minni....

#8 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:43 PM

My prediction is after seeing the number Justin puts up ,Joe asks to be traded to the rockies and plays 3rd base and wins another batting title and the 3 amigos get there ring they should have won in minni....

If that were to happen - Joe would have to hit .390... right?:)

#9 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:59 PM

If that were to happen - Joe would have to hit .390... right?:)

.398 He'll play the Braves 6-8 times per season, and Andrelton Simmons will cause him to go 0-25 each season against the Braves because, well, Simba.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#10 thetank

thetank

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:49 PM

He might hit more doubles in Colorado. His 25 games with the Pirates were a disappointment since driving in 3 runs in 25 games is bad regardless of what metric is used. 40 doubles and 20 HRs and he will be considered a good signing.

#11 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:43 PM

140 games. 24 HR .270/.330/.456
I think he has a solid bounceback year, but the Twins won't hugely regret letting him walk.

#12 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:46 PM

[/TR]
[/TABLE]

He hit 30 HR or more 3 times in his career. 25ish would only reach about 70-75% of his career high. I think its certainly possible in Coors Field. Heck even with a mediocre 2013 he was on pace to hit 20 HR playing half of his games in Minnesota.

#13 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:19 PM

Now that Morneau's signing with the Rockies is official. I am curious to read what you folks think his offensive numbers will look like at the conclusion of the 2014 season.

My take: 25ish HR's • .280ish BA • 60ish BB • 620 PA's

My prediction with the HR's is based on the assumption that Morneau plays the whole season with Colorado and is not traded.

So far my prediction seems to be on pace. Glad to see Justin having very good success.

#14 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:27 PM

Wish him the absolute best! A great ambassador for the Twins, baseball, and a great story this year. No fault of the Twins to move him last season, or not to re-sign him the past off season. But it's a shame, even with Mauer's move to 1B, that we couldn't have seen what this season might bring, and have brought him back on board this year.

I wonder, with Morneau's resurgence, and Mauer looking much like his old self before his recent injury, if this might be a positive indicator of Mauer's full recovery going forward.

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#15 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:31 PM

I wonder, with Morneau's resurgence, and Mauer looking much like his old self before his recent injury, if this might be a positive indicator of Mauer's full recovery going forward.

You can only hope that is the case.:)

#16 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:42 PM

Maybe but Mauer doesn't play in Coors field

#17 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:21 PM

Maybe but Mauer doesn't play in Coors field

Except, Morneau's Avg/OB%/Slg%/& OPS are only slight points lower away from Coors Field than at home.

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#18 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:57 PM

Except, Morneau's Avg/OB%/Slg%/& OPS are only slight points lower away from Coors Field than at home.

I knew someone would post this.

#19 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:06 PM

I knew someone would post this.

Don't be sad. Turn the page. Move on from it. It happens to all of us at some point or another.

#20 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:34 PM

Don't be sad. Turn the page. Move on from it. It happens to all of us at some point or another.

It was part sarcasm. But I do believe hitting at Coors helped Morneau's confidence which plays into playing better on the road.

#21 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,719 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:46 AM

Overall, I jus felt Justin needed a change of scenery. Despite all his good accomplishments in Minnesota, the years from 2010-2013 had a lot of misery. I felt like he needed to be away from Minnesota to put all of the lingering effects of those years aside (not just any lingering concussion effects but also the struggles of not playing like he had previously).

If Coors Field played into getting his confidence back, that's great but I really believe it was just having a whole new start this season.

So glad that he agreed to play in the Derby (and so ticked off that my 1,000+ votes didn't help him win the 5th man. Only time I have ever voted that much.)