Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

From MinnCentric

Photo

Proposed Trade with the ChiSox

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:28 AM

Chicago is looking for help at 3rd. They could to be open to trading De Aza or Viciedo to get a 3rd baseman.

Would Chicago be open to trading either for Plouffe? I would prefer De Aza to play center for us and steal some bases. I don't think Plouffe would come back to haunt us as he does most of his damage against lefties and we may have a lefty free rotation.

Thoughts?

Edited by Chance, 15 December 2013 - 09:44 AM.

#2 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:59 AM

Who plays 3rd base this year if this trade were to happen?

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,027 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:12 AM

I think, OK I'm sure, I'd rather have Plouffe than either of those two.

#4 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,515 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:23 AM

Why trade any one of value within the division. I never got that logic.

Especially your best RH power threat who is just entering his prime and the only starting 3B you got on the 40-man roster.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#5 mudcat14

mudcat14

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:06 PM

I'm not in favor of dealing Plouffe to the ChiSox, but I'm not against moving him somewhere. I think the Twins need to go all in on Sano @ 3B, even if it means Escobar handles the spot for most or all of 2014. Perhaps I'm wrong about Trevor, but I don't think his value will be any higher than it is right now.

Seattle seems to be a team that has a heavily LH leaning line-up. Plouffe could give them a RH bat at either corner IF or OF position. Willingham might be an option otherwise. Seems to me that they now have a surplus of middle IF's, and Nick Franklin would be a nice offensive upgrade and perhaps long-term solution for us @ SS.

#6 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:28 PM

I don't think it's as crazy as you guys think. The players are almost a wash and Sano is getting close. Plouffe will not have a position on this team in about a year. I don't believe Plouffe will hurt us as much as De AZa would help us.

#7 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:57 PM

If you can get value for Plouffe or Parmalee I'm in. Like Hendricks, they've had their shots and it's time to move on. I am betting on Sano coming out of Spring Training. I'd prefer prospects with higher upside than the MLB ready names given so far.

#8 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:12 PM

If you can get value for Plouffe or Parmalee I'm in. Like Hendricks, they've had their shots and it's time to move on. I am betting on Sano coming out of Spring Training. I'd prefer prospects with higher upside than the MLB ready names given so far.

Fair enough. I think that it would be nice to have a better outfield option to transition for Buxton this year. De Aza could move to a corner for Willingham if he was traded at the deadline and Hicks or Buxton are up.

#9 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:23 PM

Fair enough. I think that it would be nice to have a better outfield option to transition for Buxton this year. De Aza could move to a corner for Willingham if he was traded at the deadline and Hicks or Buxton are up.

Can't argue with the desire for a better OF. Need more power from the corners (Praying for a Willingham rebound) but I think Arcia will provide that from RF. But even with a Willingham rebound, it would be nice to have power AND defence in left.

#10 stringer bell

stringer bell

Front office apologist

• Twins News Team
  • 4,551 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:34 PM

I would give Parm another chance before cutting him loose. He played surprising well in RF last year and he's raked in the majors. Obviously this is his last chance.

#11 raindog

raindog

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:04 PM

I'm surprised so many people are attached to Plouffe. I don't know if I would make the trade, but I don't think it would come back to haunt the Twins. Besides, the Twins don't know how to utilize him properly.

You'd have to sign a third baseman, though. I'm already resigned to the fact that Miguel Sano is going to have Tommy John surgery in March. :/

#12 stringer bell

stringer bell

Front office apologist

• Twins News Team
  • 4,551 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:28 PM

Plouffe is still pretty young and he's only been a 3B for a bit over a year. I think he would be league average this year. Give him a chance to increase his value before Sano arrives.

#13 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:39 PM

His value could also decrease enough that he would be worth nothing. I honestly don't get how this would be a "bad" move for the Twins. De Aza could slot into a great 4th outfielder with pinch running ability after Buxton and Hicks arrive. Whether its early this year or to start next season, Sano will man 3rd. If Plouffe has enough value to land a quality OF, I'd make the trade. I'm a Plouffe guy but this is a move that could be an even trade this year but work in our favor as the years go on.

Edited by Chance, 15 December 2013 - 02:43 PM.

#14 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:13 PM

I'm surprised so many people are attached to Plouffe. I don't know if I would make the trade, but I don't think it would come back to haunt the Twins. Besides, the Twins don't know how to utilize him properly.

You'd have to sign a third baseman, though. I'm already resigned to the fact that Miguel Sano is going to have Tommy John surgery in March. :/

He was cleared by the doctors, including James Andrews. So that's not going to happen.

#15 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,047 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:18 PM

He was cleared by the doctors, including James Andrews. So that's not going to happen.

Why would anyone feel totally comfortable that all's okay -- even with what Dr. Andrews says?

There have been too many cases in the past where they simply can't tell exactly what is going on.

But even if he is 100%, I doubt that Sano would be the 3B man on opening day 2014.

I hope he comes out and wows in ST but I just can't see putting all the 3B eggs in the Sano basket at this point in time. I'm not a huge Trevor Plouffe fan but at least he should be serviceable for a few months.

#16 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:45 PM

If we trade Plouffe, Escobar or possibly even Collabello could hold down 3B. He did play some 3rd base in the minors. If Miggy and Plouffe can hold down 3B I don't see why we can't have a platoon of Collabello and Escobar do well enough until Sano arrives. We are building for the future not next season.

#17 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:36 PM

Why would anyone feel totally comfortable that all's okay -- even with what Dr. Andrews says?

There have been too many cases in the past where they simply can't tell exactly what is going on.

But even if he is 100%, I doubt that Sano would be the 3B man on opening day 2014.

I hope he comes out and wows in ST but I just can't see putting all the 3B eggs in the Sano basket at this point in time. I'm not a huge Trevor Plouffe fan but at least he should be serviceable for a few months.

He might hurt it, but right now the evidence says that everything is good to go. People are being obsessed with the string of TJS that have been happening and are being overly pessimistic. That is what I was responding to.

#18 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:36 PM

He might hurt it, but right now the evidence says that everything is good to go. People are being obsessed with the string of TJS that have been happening and are being overly pessimistic. That is what I was responding to.

With our training staff recent history, fans have been trained to worry... Just saying

#19 stringer bell

stringer bell

Front office apologist

• Twins News Team
  • 4,551 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:27 PM

Colabello isn't anything more than an emergency fill-in. I can't see him ever starting a game at 3B. IMHO he can't hit major league pitching either.

#20 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:57 PM

With our training staff recent history, fans have been trained to worry... Just saying

I know but that's why I threw in the James Andrews bit :)

#21 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,529 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:24 PM

So much for needing that third baseman.

#22 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:46 PM

amen! The organization hasn't been exactly been a picture of health over the last several years. Depth is key

#23 NoCal

NoCal

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:04 PM

I believe that someone did an analysis of injury frequency among the ML teams, and the Twins had one of the better performances; and, except for concussions, they have been rather good at keeping players on the field. Unfortunately, those players aren't that good.....

#24 JP3700

JP3700

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:16 PM

So much for needing that third baseman.

Great trade for the White Sox.

I wonder if TR is still telling teams Perkins is unavailable. Davidson is the same level prospect as Owings and Gregorious (when he was a prospect). Considering Perkins is better than Reed, the Twins may have been able to get one of their shortstops and an additional prospect or two.

#25 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:20 AM

If we trade Plouffe, Escobar or possibly even Collabello could hold down 3B. He did play some 3rd base in the minors. If Miggy and Plouffe can hold down 3B I don't see why we can't have a platoon of Collabello and Escobar do well enough until Sano arrives. We are building for the future not next season.

We're willing to end up with Collabello at 3rd all for the sake of De Aza? There's guys in FA who could easily give us what he will. Plouffe is more valuable, period.