Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Who gets DFA'ed?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 SweetOne69

SweetOne69

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:25 PM

Who gets let go to make room for Pelfrey?

Do they let go of another pitcher or does a position player get the boot?

#2 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:50 PM

Who gets let go to make room for Pelfrey?

Do they let go of another pitcher or does a position player get the boot?

Hopefully it is Pelfrey that gets DFA'ed...

#3 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:09 PM

Albers
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#4 DuluthFan

DuluthFan

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:33 PM

Considering Diamond, Deduno and Worley are all out of options and two of them will need to be dfa'd in the spring (only one rotation spot available now), I would guess one of these pitchers will be dfa'd. There is still a possibility that one or two of them may still be recovering from their injuries from the past season, in which case one may end up on the 60 day DL to start the year. In that case you dfa the pitcher with the least chance of making the opening day roster based on past lack of success (Worley?).

If the possibility of 60 DL stints for the above pitchers is unclear, they could dfa a position player where there is no position available. Since Mauer is the starting 1st baseman for the foreseeable future, Parmalee and Colabello become expendable.

My gut says Worley gets cut. I can see Gibson or Albers beating out Worley on the depth chart.

#5 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 3,909 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:09 PM

My guess is Colabello, second guess is Mastroianni, then Albers.

#6 Zephrin

Zephrin

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:53 PM

I would guess Colabello. His AB potential plummeted between Mauer and Kubel. We still don't have tremendous CF depth until either Hicks proves he's here to stay or Buxton is ready, so Mastrianni probably has another life left in him.

#7 lee_the_twins_fan

lee_the_twins_fan

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:58 PM

I suspect Worley will be gone. It'll be one of the starters. Even though he started Game 1 in 2013, he'll be gone before opening Day, 2014.

#8 Mai.K

Mai.K

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:19 PM

Scott Diamond or Vanimal Trade

#9 robbie111

robbie111

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:25 AM

I'd rather it was Worley, considering Albers had the best 2 starts of the Twins season last year.

#10 Otwins

Otwins

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:41 AM

Colabello - DFA
Kubel could fill in at 1B if needed
I would keep Worley and Diamond in the bullpen
A lot of teams looking for bullpen help. I think Burton, Swarzcek and/or Fien gets traded. Twins have lots of parts- could rebuild the bullpen.

#11 Jdosen

Jdosen

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:05 AM

Fingers crossed for Fryer because I keep envisioning him being in MN for 4 months this year taking up a roster spot and playing 1-2x/week.
I just started the blog Troy Williamson's Hands which is about MN sports and whatever else I want to write--you can find it at http://troywilliamso...s.blogspot.com/
twitter: @dose17

#12 Zephrin

Zephrin

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:23 AM

Fingers crossed for Fryer because I keep envisioning him being in MN for 4 months this year taking up a roster spot and playing 1-2x/week.

I think this is reality unless we sign someone. The Twins aren't going to let Mauer catch at all now that he's switched, and Doumit is a terrible catcher. Better pray we sign Buck or someone to split time with Pinto.

#13 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 786 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:01 AM

How long until he has to be put on the 40 man? Maybe a trade will happen

#14 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:22 AM

How long until he has to be put on the 40 man? Maybe a trade will happen

Spring Training
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#15 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:39 AM

mastro. i say that cause he has the least value to the team with pressly in center and hicks in AAA. Also i feel he is most likely to clear waivers

#16 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:01 AM

Maestro because Hicks will hopefully be in Minny and Presley as a backup

#17 DJSim22

DJSim22

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:53 AM

Collabello. He has no position on this team except as a PH. If Kubel is around, he likely will fill that role as well.

#18 raindog

raindog

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:59 PM

My choice would be Fryer, followed by Kris Johnson. It's more likely to be Colabello.

#19 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:17 PM

I'd suggest it be Colabello. I'm disappointed with this signing though. Not sure we needed to rush to get him, should've let things work out with Arroyo or Garza first. This still leaves us with quite a bit of money, so it'll be interesting to see what other moves we make. I just hate to lose either Deduno, Diamond, Worley to have a guy like Pelfrey in the rotation. Oh well, still lots of off-season left to see what TR has up his sleeve.

#20 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:54 PM

I believe it will be a LHP--one that is the easiest to trade for a useful minor leaguer. Might even be Duensing, but Diamond and Albers qualify.

#21 JP3700

JP3700

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:50 PM

I like the idea of a trade.

Relievers seem to have quite a bit of value. Jerry Blevins just landed the A's a nice prospect.

Worley and Diamond should still have some value as well. Both have had MLB success, are still young and cost controlled.

#22 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:28 PM

Considering Diamond, Deduno and Worley are all out of options and two of them will need to be dfa'd in the spring (only one rotation spot available now), I would guess one of these pitchers will be dfa'd. There is still a possibility that one or two of them may still be recovering from their injuries from the past season, in which case one may end up on the 60 day DL to start the year. In that case you dfa the pitcher with the least chance of making the opening day roster based on past lack of success (Worley?).

If the possibility of 60 DL stints for the above pitchers is unclear, they could dfa a position player where there is no position available. Since Mauer is the starting 1st baseman for the foreseeable future, Parmalee and Colabello become expendable.

My gut says Worley gets cut. I can see Gibson or Albers beating out Worley on the depth chart.

Just because a roster decision regarding Duduno/Diamond/Worley needs to be made by opening day that doesn't mean that the decision should be made in December.

In addition it's possible that a starting pitcher goes down with an injury in spring training opening a spot and it's also possible that one of the starting spot losers makes the team as a long reliever.

#23 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 3,909 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:55 PM

I doubt that the Twins use only six or seven starters. Injuries and ineffectiveness will happen. If Ryan thinks the out-of-options guys can help then it is his job to find a way to keep them.

#24 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:36 PM

I would guess Colabello. His AB potential plummeted between Mauer and Kubel. We still don't have tremendous CF depth until either Hicks proves he's here to stay or Buxton is ready, so Mastrianni probably has another life left in him.

I agree with you this is how it will work out. I would rather see Kris Johnson go--but I don't think the Twins will let go of a lefty pitcher--no matter how limited his prospect for success.

#25 Lefty74

Lefty74

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:57 PM

I believe it will be a LHP--one that is the easiest to trade for a useful minor leaguer. Might even be Duensing, but Diamond and Albers qualify.

I agree with those who say Collabello. Great story with his long minor league history and stats, but doesn't appear that he will ever be an impact player in MLB.

#26 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:16 PM

I agree with those who say Collabello. Great story with his long minor league history and stats, but doesn't appear that he will ever be an impact player in MLB.

It's a little soon to make that statement, don't you think?

#27 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 3,909 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:52 PM

It's a little soon to make that statement, don't you think?

The age thing. Colabello is 30 (he's older than Pelfrey) already. I'm no expert but the swing and his swing mechanics just don't look polished enough to hit big league pitching. Ever. Add to it that he is marginal at first base and doesn't belong anywhere else in the field, and you have a player who doesn't belong on a 40-man roster.

#28 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:38 PM

Maestro
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#29 DuluthFan

DuluthFan

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:53 AM

Just because a roster decision regarding Duduno/Diamond/Worley needs to be made by opening day that doesn't mean that the decision should be made in December.

In addition it's possible that a starting pitcher goes down with an injury in spring training opening a spot and it's also possible that one of the starting spot losers makes the team as a long reliever.

The long reliever position is currently filled by Swarzak, who doesn't appear to be going anywhere and doesn't look like he will be beat out by Deduno/Diamond/Worley. There are no salary pressures forcing the Twins to move him.

It is possible that an injury to one of the opening day starters could open a spot for one of these pitchers in spring training, but they would then have to be waived before being sent down to AAA when the regular pitcher returns. If one of these three pitchers were to be put on the 60 day DL in spring training like what happened to Deduno last season, they could be 'saved' from being waived but they would need to return to the major league team (after a rehab stint) or face being waived at that point to send him to AAA.

So who should be dfa'd now? The pitcher with the lowest chance of making the opening day roster. Look at the available pitchers on the roster. First choose the five opening day starters. Nolasco, Hughes, Correia & Pelfrey seem locks right now. Who's the fifth? Pick any one, it doesn't matter right now. What are you left with? These will be the Rochester pitchers to start the season (let's assume everyone clears waivers). Rank them according to the order in which you would call them up to cover an injury at the MLB level. Got the list? So who gets called up first? This will be the person who gets to fill the hypothetical spring training rotation spot that opens up due to an injury. Keep in mind, when the injured pitcher comes back, the fill-in will need to be optioned back to Rochester. Look at your ranked list of AAA pitchers. Are Diamond/Deduno/Worley on the list? If yes, then they will need to clear waivers before being sent to Rochester. Since they are out of options, they will need to be dfa'd. At least one of them will not make the team.

So who is least likely to make the Twins opening day roster among Diamond/Deduno/Worley? From past performances, Worley seems the least likely. Deduno seems to be favored and Diamond has shown some success. Now factor in the other pitchers competing in the Twins system. Gibson and Albers have both pitched at the major league level with better success than Worley. May and Meyer are also expected to compete soon. By the time Worley figures it out, there will be younger players with options waiting to take his place.

#30 Trevor0333

Trevor0333

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:28 AM

Colabello, Fryer won't be until/less a catchers signed. Worley will be after ST.

I think Albers has a chance to be a real good lefty in the pen.