Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Twins and Pelfrey Agree to Deal

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:09 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...y-Agree-to-Deal

#2 S.

S.

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:13 PM

"[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Georgia]Mike Pelfrey agrees to 2-year deal, $11M, $3.5M performance bonuses. [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#66C1C1]#[/COLOR]twins"

Ugh.

https://twitter.com/...010452659363840

#3 Reider

Reider

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:21 PM

I know most people (including myself) would rather have Garza or Arroyo on a 2 year deal, but looking at the big picture, we have the same pitching staff as last year plus Nolasco and Hughes. Having those two extra starting pitchers should help take some pressure off of the bullpen. I'm not a big Pelfrey fan, but I'd rather give him the ball, than an AAA pitcher.

Stability is good. These 3 guys (along with Correia and a healthy Deduno) should help stabilize the starting rotation and give the Twins something to build upon. They can always trade, sign, and develop pitchers over time.

Edited by Reider, 14 December 2013 - 06:27 PM.

#4 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:22 PM

I'm not terribly upset by this, but I really don't get it.

I could see Pelfrey coming in to compete with others for the 4/5 spot in the rotation, but he surely has not earned a roster spot. Money is irrelevant to me because I feel the Twins have it to spend, but you can't tell me that there aren't other pitchers available that are just as talented that could compete for a rotation spot. Or perhaps one that deserves a spot. Pelfrey should have had to prove he was better than Gibson, Worley, etc. before receiving a contract that stats he is a lock for the rotation.

Underwhelming and mildly annoying move.

#5 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,725 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:25 PM

Watching him pitch is cruel and unusual punishment.

#6 Legend of the Arctic

Legend of the Arctic

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:30 PM

Not an exciting move, but not a bad one. Considering that the alternative was Bronson Arroyo, I'm very happy to see Pelfrey return.

#7 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:31 PM

After starting out pretty nicely with Nolasco, Ryan has tailed off badly, IMO.

#8 B Richard

B Richard

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:34 PM

This is a reasonable move. I'd much rather have Pelfrey at 2/11 than Colon at 2/20. Pitchers coming back from TJ are always questionable, but Pelfrey had a strong second half of the year. If you look at his overall numbers for the year, they are somewhat ugly, but the big Pelf showed marked improvement

Per Fangraphs:

1st Half/ 2nd Half (2013)

K%: 12.4/17.7
HR/9: .98/.51
Avg. Against: .311/.279
SLG: .478/.374

The one area of concern lies in BB%: 6.6/9.2

But his K:BB ratio still improved, albeit marginally: 1.88/1.93

I think this signing is fine. Again, it's a sign (no pun intended) of an improving rotation. Pelf might not be here for our WS, but he will help this team improve in the immediate future by bringing stability to the rotation.

#9 VandyTwinsFan

VandyTwinsFan

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:36 PM

Just a thought, but what if the team trades Correia? He looked pretty solid last year. Innings eater. While he has a place as a starter on this team, he might bring in some value in prospects. Just a thought.

#10 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:38 PM

The only way this makes sense is if the Twins think he will be better two years removed from TJ surgery. It is a typical to have such an improvement. It's also common to have a long dead arm period the year after a huge jump in innings. So this is a big risk.

But, as the saying goes, you can never have too much pitching. If he sucks, hopefully they give one of the other guys a chance, including Scott Diamond, whom you left off the list.

#11 Nor-CalTwinsfan

Nor-CalTwinsfan

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:38 PM

Well, I think his pitching was better than his record, wonder if they are done. Still like to see a Johan rehab deal. who gets dropped to add him to the roster?

#12 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:40 PM

Pelfrey was the Twins' best pitcher in 2013, in a season when he made a record time comeback from TJ surgery. Got his K% up to 17.9 in the second half of the season.

From 2008-2011 he averaged 195.7 IP a season. He hasn't even turn 30 yet. Very similar pitcher to Hughes when healthy. I expect a lot from him the next 2 seasons.

All in all a good signing. Not to mention that he is a great clubhouse guy too.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#13 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

It's not a bad deal. That's not a lot of money for a backend starter and it doesn't prevent the Twins from making moves next offseason, if they want.

It probably means Gibson starts the season in AAA, which I'm against, but it looks like Ryan is getting some innings, if nothing else.

#14 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:43 PM

I expected Pelfrey back, so no surprise. And I'm glad he is. Now with Deduno, we have a rotation. Now if TR can just get some bats, I'll be alot more enthused about this coming season.

#15 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:45 PM

After starting out pretty nicely with Nolasco, Ryan has tailed off badly, IMO.

I don't even think Nolasco is that wonderful. Sure, he's a step above what we're used to but that isn't good enough to win. The money is getting thrown around but all I'm seeing are the same type of pitchers.

#16 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:46 PM

I'm not terribly upset by this, but I really don't get it.

I could see Pelfrey coming in to compete with others for the 4/5 spot in the rotation, but he surely has not earned a roster spot. Money is irrelevant to me because I feel the Twins have it to spend, but you can't tell me that there aren't other pitchers available that are just as talented that could compete for a rotation spot. Or perhaps one that deserves a spot. Pelfrey should have had to prove he was better than Gibson, Worley, etc. before receiving a contract that stats he is a lock for the rotation.

Underwhelming and mildly annoying move.

He just got 2 years and $11 million... he's in the rotation (at least at the start of the season).

#17 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:52 PM

So many times last season Pelfrey would have a great start for 5 innings,then collapse. I hope that another year removed from TJ will reveal a solid sterter good to go deep in games.

#18 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:58 PM

With this move and Meyer coming up, would the Twins consider moving Gibson for some offense? Since Gibson has options, he won't make the team out of Florida.

#19 S.

S.

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:02 PM

Now with Deduno, we have a rotation.

Career numbers

Nolasco: 4.37 ERA / 3.76 FIP / 3.75 xFIP
Hughes: 4.54 ERA / 4.31 FIP / 4.31 xFIP
Pelfrey: 4.48 ERA / 4.17 FIP / 4.50 xFIP
Correia: 4.49 ERA / 4.50 FIP / 4.41 xFIP
Deduno: 4.06 ERA / 4.67 FIP / 4.32 xFIP

#20 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,938 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:03 PM

I'd have held out for 2/22 if I were him.

#21 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:09 PM

The cost here is not only money but potentially another cost controlled starter. At this point we're handing a lot of starts to two guys who aren't that good and have no part in the future. I'd rather give those to Worley, Diamond, Gibson, or Deduno if its not going to be a true upgrade.

hopefully a trade happens but I doubt that bunch has much value right now.

#22 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 828 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:15 PM

You can never have too much pitching. With the minor league starters the Twins were running out there last year, this is not a bad move. Most of the starters for the Twins last year should not have been wearing major league uniforms. This also gives some depth incase of injuries.

#23 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:22 PM

Adding mediocre players for the short term to a bad team simply adds to the cycle of mediocrity. The Twins need to develop mid rotation starters that have service time and will be with the teams as the prospects arrive.

Best case - Pelfrey pitches well enjoys some BABIP luck and is flipped at the deadline.

Less damaging case - He is really bad and released like Marquis or significantly injured and all the Twins lose is a little money.

Worst case - He performs as a 4th starter in the rotation for two years and the Twins lose the opportunity to invest innings towards developing a mid rotation starter.

Edited by jorgenswest, 14 December 2013 - 08:00 PM.

#24 raindog

raindog

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:33 PM

Posted Image

Absolutely hate it.

#25 twinsfaninsaudi

twinsfaninsaudi

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:33 PM

Boo-yah! Boo-yah! BOO-YAH! Here we come baby. Here we come!

#26 JP3700

JP3700

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:34 PM

Adding mediocre players for the short term to a bad simply add to the cycle of mediocrity. The Twins need to develop mid rotation starters that have service time and will be with the teams as the prospects arrive.

Best case - Pelfrey pitches well enjoys some BABIP luck and is flipped at the deadline.

Less damaging case - He is really bad and released like Marquis or significantly injured and all the Twins lose is a little money.

Worst case - He performs as a 4th starter in the rotation for two years and the Twins lose the opportunity to invest innings towards developing a mid rotation starter.

Very well stated. I just don't understand the direction they are going. It's like they're stuck in the middle.

#27 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:40 PM

We could of had the 4 highest WAR amongst free agents for 2/16, in a place of need, rather then sign another4/5 type pitcher , we have uggles of them already

#28 Trautmann13

Trautmann13

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:51 PM

would have had Arroyo 100 times over rather than Pelfrey. Especially after they all but had him locked. Reports had Reds only offering Arroyo 1 year deal when he wanted 3. twins were standing with 2. He was going to come here!! But no, lets sign a has been who never was. He was never good in NY before TJ, how in the hell is he supposed to suddenly be worth a 2 year deal? Arroyo is a far better pitcher than at 37 than Pelfrey will ever be. Very disapointed with this deal, hope it somehow works out

#29 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 3,909 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:07 PM

Career numbers

Nolasco: 4.37 ERA / 3.76 FIP / 3.75 xFIP
Hughes: 4.54 ERA / 4.31 FIP / 4.31 xFIP
Pelfrey: 4.48 ERA / 4.17 FIP / 4.50 xFIP
Correia: 4.49 ERA / 4.50 FIP / 4.41 xFIP
Deduno: 4.06 ERA / 4.67 FIP / 4.32 xFIP

I'll repeat my very weak endorsement of the Pelfrey signing: I predict Pelfrey will have better overall numbers next year than one of the three veteran free agents signed in the last two off-seasons. He also throws a mid-90s fastball and is younger than both Nolasco and Correia. The cost isn't that high and two years isn't forever.

#30 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:12 PM

I guess this means the Twins will not be signing Garza.