Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Reds offer Arroyo one year deal

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jcphitman

jcphitman

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:40 PM

http://www.rotoworld...e=416846&spln=1

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="class: headline, colspan: 3"][h=2]Bronson Arroyo: Reds to offer Bronson Arroyo one-year deal[/h][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #c6011f, colspan: 3"]Bronson Arroyo - S - CIN - Dec. 13 - 6:42 pm et [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 3"]According to Buster Olney of ESPN, the Reds have told free agent right-hander Bronson Arroyo that they will offer him a one-year deal.
[COLOR=blue]The Reds don't expect the 36-year-old for a ninth season with the team, as there are several other teams interested in his services. Perhaps if he can't secure the deal he's looking for though, it could make sense to re-up for another season and test the free agent waters again next year.[/COLOR] Dec. 13 - 6:42 pm et
Source: Buster Olney on Twitter
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 300, colspan: 4"][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]To see more Bronson Arroyo news items click here...
To see more MLB news items click here...

I also read an article I think from the Cincinnati Enquirer (or some Cincy paper) I now can't find confirming they were offering him one year. The article discussed the Reds already having a 5 man set rotation and jokingly saying it would go 6 if they can bring back Arroyo. It did say two of the pitchers are coming back from injury, but the Reds are still set to go with them.

The article also discussed the Reds wanting to give Arroyo a chance to explore the FA market before coming back to him.

I think if all is even and 1 year is all he can get, Arroyo goes back to the Reds. In the article, Arroyo said he would have accepted the qualifying offer had the Reds offered it to him (and the 14 + million salary that comes with the one year offer). He certainly isn't going to get that kind of money with whatever one year the Reds are offering now.

I think Arroyo may have to downgrade his demands to 2 years. If he does that, I see TR setting aside his other options and going for Arroyo. I've seen a report TR wants Garza for 3 years, but Garza wants 5. If TR can get 2 years on Arroyo, he's probably set stop pursuing Garza. I also think TR would even prefer Arroyo over Pelfrey on a two year deal (even though I'm sure Big Pelf is cheaper).

Should be interesting to see if the Twins or another team make a two or even three year offer to Arroyo now that the Reds have played their hand. The Reds may have done it just to say "we did something to try and retain him" or are banking on Arroyo really wanting to retire there and taking a series of one year deals to do it so the team has minimal risk should an injury happen or he declines in pitching.

What say you?[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

#2 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:47 PM

HBT says Arroyo is between the Reds and Twins, so if Minnesota offers two years, I think they have him signed. If it stops Pelfrey's return, I am all for this.

#3 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:52 PM

HBT says Arroyo is between the Reds and Twins, so if Minnesota offers two years, I think they have him signed. If it stops Pelfrey's return, I am all for this.

Bingo to all of the above.

#4 stringer bell

stringer bell

No Speed, Warning Track Power

• Twins News Team
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:13 PM

I'd take Arroyo for two years. That would take one veteran off the books each year--Correia (2014), Arroyo (2015), Hughes (2016), and Nolasco (2017). It seems he would be a much safer option than Pelf and the change to the AL would be offset by pitching in a much more pitcher-friendly environment compared to the GAB in Cincy.

#5 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:16 PM

If the Twins can get him on a two year deal I am all for it. If he continues to pitch well they can likely flip him for prospects. If he doesn't pitch that well we are only out the two years. If they have to go three years then I don't like it as much but it still could work out OK in the end.

#6 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:34 PM

Agreed. At 2 years, I sign Arroyo no question. Plus, as stringer bell mentions, it staggers the contracts very well for maximum flexibility.

#7 Trautmann13

Trautmann13

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:02 PM

I agree completely with everything already said. Ive said all along that Arroyo for 2 years is a great pickup. If Arroyo signs, (likely) no Garza, no Pelfrey, no other starter. Im 100% satisfied with a Nolasco, Arroyo, Hughes, Correia, PLACE NAME HERE rotation for '14. Now if they can add one bat, just one, I think this off season is good and complete

#8 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:14 PM

I agree completely with everything already said. Ive said all along that Arroyo for 2 years is a great pickup. If Arroyo signs, (likely) no Garza, no Pelfrey, no other starter. Im 100% satisfied with a Nolasco, Arroyo, Hughes, Correia, PLACE NAME HERE rotation for '14. Now if they can add one bat, just one, I think this off season is good and complete

Does anyone know the parameters of a potential deal? 2/$26...2/$30...2/$32??? Is there a buyout in the negotiations for the 2nd year and/or team option for a 3rd year? (leaving room to sign a position player or prefarably, two, or a 5th starter like Maholm?).

#9 JP3700

JP3700

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:46 PM

Does anyone know the parameters of a potential deal?

This is just pure speculation on my part. But if Arroyo did indeed say that he would have taken the qualifying offer. I'd think the AAV on deals that have been discussed is closer to $10M than it is $14M.

#10 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:05 PM

Arroyo may not have any good years left. I hope the Twins don't sign him for 2.

#11 jcphitman

jcphitman

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:42 PM

Berdino (SP) tweeted Twins still feel they can sign Arroyo. He might be coming still too. Wow.

#12 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:45 PM

Posted on the Pelfrey thread too, but I suspect the Twins might be "in" on Arroyo now much like the Reds are -- that is, they will take him on their terms (short-term, reasonable salary, as an "insurance" starter).