Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Cubs Claim Hendricks

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 SweetOne69

SweetOne69

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:11 PM

It is being reported that the Cubs have claimed Liam Hendricks.

#2 raindog

raindog

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:17 PM

I have a feeling that this will wind up being a good move for the Cubs. I still don't understand how he was the guy that got cut.

#3 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:25 PM

I have a feeling that this will wind up being a good move for the Cubs. I still don't understand how he was the guy that got cut.

I know a lot of people didn't really care to about Hendriks being waived, but I think that if the situation were reversed and the Cubs had waived him and Twins claimed him, we'd think it was a smart move.

#4 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:28 PM

I doubt this hurts us but good luck to him.

#5 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:31 PM

Don't pitch him when the wind is blowing out. If he's an April and September pitcher he might be marginal.

#6 VandyTwinsFan

VandyTwinsFan

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:34 PM

Meh. He's still pretty young, but no one was fooled by his pitches. Maybe Twins pitchers are too predictable. If he figures it out somewhere else, super for him. The team needs to move on from guys who've failed for 2+ years without any big league success to speak of.

#7 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:58 PM

Don't pitch him when the wind is blowing out. If he's an April and September pitcher he might be marginal.

This is a really good point. He's an extreme fly ball pitcher who struggled in one of the most pitcher-friendly parks in baseball. In the end, he just ran out of chances to take his minor league success to the MLB.

I wish him well and hope he makes the adjustments he needs to succeed in the majors.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#8 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,431 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:59 PM

would be interesting to see what he does. .350 BABIP and 14% HR/FB rates will improve. He led the Twins' starters in K% last season and had FIPs in the 2s and 3s in AAA. And he is 24. His fastball needs fixing for sure. GB/FB rates reversed the last couple seasons (which was not too good with that 14% HR/FB) I wonder how hurt he really was last season too.

Wishing him the best other than when he pitches against the Twins...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#9 David Woodley

David Woodley

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:08 PM

He basically was a poor man's Kevin Slowey IMO, and that isn't really a compliment. Both guys did well in the minors because they had decent control. However the lack of movement and keeping the ball down really killed Hendrik's during his time in the majors.
I mean it would be nice to see him turn it around because he seems like a solid enough guy, I just don't see it happening. And for all the talk about the Twins choosing to cut him instead of someone else, I dont really get the argument. Yes, he has more upside then Albers, but Albers prob has a much better shot at helping the Twins this year.

#10 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,960 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:08 PM

Hendriks got claimed by one of the teams with the highest waiver priorities. I would think other teams would also have claimed him then also. Too bad the Twins couldn't work out any kind of trade for a non-roster player.

#11 VandyTwinsFan

VandyTwinsFan

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:20 PM

would be interesting to see what he does. .350 BABIP and 14% HR/FB rates will improve. He led the Twins' starters in K% last season and had FIPs in the 2s and 3s in AAA. And he is 24. His fastball needs fixing for sure. GB/FB rates reversed the last couple seasons (which was not too good with that 14% HR/FB) I wonder how hurt he really was last season too.

I've noticed that many posters here like to point to outliers in player stats and say they will improve/regress based on that. For proven players, I think this is a reasonable thing to do. But for guys who've never had success...maybe they're just not good enough. Maybe his fastball is too easy to see and square up. Maybe he's just not a big league pitcher.

I don't mean to sound like I'm attacking your post. I regard your comments quite highly. I just think people too easily fall into that statistical analysis routine. This is not to say that you're wrong. It's possible that poor pitchers don't have BABIP rates that high. I honestly don't know (I guess I could compare him to the rest of the 2013 staff!). I'm just wary of the prediction is all.

Agreed.

#12 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:44 PM

Hendriks got claimed by one of the teams with the highest waiver priorities. I would think other teams would also have claimed him then also. Too bad the Twins couldn't work out any kind of trade for a non-roster player.

Pretty sure that all of the AL clubs had a shot on him and passed. THEN it goes to the Senior Circuit. Fairly certain that's how it works. Anyways it's worth watching to see if the Cubbies just try to pass him off right away again.

#13 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

They could have just been sitting dead red on a no-movement not terribly great fastball. Not to hard when it doesn't take much to adjust to the off-speed stuff.

#14 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,362 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:01 PM

Pretty sure that all of the AL clubs had a shot on him and passed. THEN it goes to the Senior Circuit. Fairly certain that's how it works. Anyways it's worth watching to see if the Cubbies just try to pass him off right away again.

Book it....on both of your good points.

#15 SweetOne69

SweetOne69

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:04 PM

You are correct about the waiver process. But Hendricks has an option left so they can send him to AAA. He will only have to pass through waivers again if the Cubs need a spot on the 40-man roster and DFA him.

#16 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,411 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:13 PM

Anyways it's worth watching to see if the Cubbies just try to pass him off right away again.

Yes, and for now, they have plenty of 40-man room. Two open slots if I counted correctly.

#17 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:29 PM

He basically was a poor man's Kevin Slowey IMO, and that isn't really a compliment. Both guys did well in the minors because they had decent control.

Don't look now, but Kevin Slowey is hot on the heels of both Nolasco and Hughes in career ERA+. And the equal of Pelfrey. (Actually, he's almost certainly the equal of Hughes too if you exclude Hughes' time in the bullpen.)

#18 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:01 PM

I feel a little like Hendriks like I do Parmelee - I wanted him to just tread water a little longer until he figured out how to stick around a while. I still think he could, but it was hard to watch him implode for one inning in every start.

#19 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:28 PM

Don't look now, but Kevin Slowey is hot on the heels of both Nolasco and Hughes in career ERA+. And the equal of Pelfrey. (Actually, he's almost certainly the equal of Hughes too if you exclude Hughes' time in the bullpen.)

And yet he only hit 160 IP in a season once, and was let go by both the Twins and Cleveland (and booted from the rotation by the hapless Marlins)

Clearly every GM and scout in baseball has missed the mark on the great Kevin Slowey.

It reminds me a lot of the Slowey situation, but even more legitimate (to let Hendriks go) People were freaking when Slowey was let go by the Twins, but he has done absolutely nothing since then to make the Twins regret it in the least.

I can't see Hendriks doing much of anything to make the Twins regret it. (anything more than a nice 5-6 game run or something)

#20 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:16 PM

I feel a little like Hendriks like I do Parmelee - I wanted him to just tread water a little longer until he figured out how to stick around a while. I still think he could, but it was hard to watch him implode for one inning in every start.

I agree with this. I mean, I understand why they let him go even if he wouldn't have been my first choice. But as a guy who insisted that Hendriks could put it all together and be a serviceable starter (and who thus looks a little silly now), I saw something that indicated potential.

And he hung around the majors for awhile anyway, even putting together some pretty good starts, if not enough to overcome the garbage ones. I'm surprised there's so little consternation here with all that went down when Joe Benson was let go, and he was a guy who never did anything above AA.

#21 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,362 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:20 PM

And yet he only hit 160 IP in a season once, and was let go by both the Twins and Cleveland (and booted from the rotation by the hapless Marlins)

Clearly every GM and scout in baseball has missed the mark on the great Kevin Slowey.

It reminds me a lot of the Slowey situation, but even more legitimate (to let Hendriks go) People were freaking when Slowey was let go by the Twins, but he has done absolutely nothing since then to make the Twins regret it in the least.

I can't see Hendriks doing much of anything to make the Twins regret it. (anything more than a nice 5-6 game run or something)

You've used this canard before, it's still wrong. The Marlins may be hapless overall, but their SP was very good, ranked 7th in WAR, 7th in ERA, 6th in FIP, 5th in IP. Slowey just got beat out, after a very strong start, he went to the DL, the Marlins then went with their core prospects over Slowey.

Of course, Slowey wasn't healthy in 2011 and 2012, which was why he was let go. And he returned to the 60 Day DL at Miami in July, durability is obviously Slowey's biggest drawback. His situation bears very little similarity to Hendriks, at all.

#22 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:23 PM

Yes, and for now, they have plenty of 40-man room. Two open slots if I counted correctly.

Didn't think about this but all the same, they might when it comes time.

#23 Trevor0333

Trevor0333

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:46 PM

Im not real bothered by this as I don't think he can stick as a starter. However they had plenty of options to make room on the 40 man to let him try working out of the bullpen.

You see starters all the time who couldn't cut it. Then they move to the bullpen, gain a few extra MPH and suddenly they are Glen Perkins 2.0 mowing people down or even Swarzak to a lesser degree.

#24 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,900 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:52 AM

I'm not sure Slowey and Hendricks are good comparisons at all. For one, Slowey was a fairly highly thought of prospect and showed quite a bit of promise when made the bigs. His problem was that freak injury that hit him during what looked like his break out season. He's never been the same since. I'm thrilled he's rebuilding his career with the Marlins. I hope that continues. It wasn't going to work here b/c he was clearly the odd man out and was getting expensive. Some of this is just the rules of baseball. Arb eligible guys are very expensive for the teams that own their rights and the Twins didn't have the ability to pay him what he's worth... so he's cut.

Hendricks is a different situation altogether. Like John, I was hoping he would be able to sort it out, but he hasn't. I personally would have jettisoned Albers ahead of Hendricks, but even if that happened, Hendricks is sitting behind Deduno, Diamond, Worley, and Gibson... and quite possibly Darnell too. I'm not pretending we have an embarrassment of riches here, but all of those guys have potential and need to get their shot. As it is, there's only 2 spots for all of them, and if the rumors are true, there may only be 1.