Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Miguel Sano cleared by doctors

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 713 posts
  • Locationsouthern Iowa

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:47 PM

I just posted this in another thread, but I figured it could be its own thread. La Velle E. Neal III released a report a little bit ago and in it he had an update on Miguel Sano.

[FONT=Arial]And here's a Miguel Sano update. The slugging prospect was shut down early in winter ball season because of a strained right ulnar collateral ligament. But he's been examined in Fort Myers, Fla., and has been given a clean bill of health. He'll return to the Dominican Republic, where he'll resume throwing, then return to Fort Myers in January to train in advance of the 2014 season.[/FONT]

#2 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:57 PM

YES!!! I know his value is in the power but that arm is supposedly legit. What he loses in foot speed he gains in arm. Now I just need to hear an update on Byron's shoulder

#3 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:58 PM

According to the Star Tribune's LaVelle E Neal's afternoon update, doctors have cleared top prospect Miguel Sano, saying that his elbow in which he strained his ulnar collateral ligament is completely healthy.

[FONT=Arial]The slugging prospect was shut down early in winter ball season because of a strained right ulnar collateral ligament. But he's been examined in Fort Myers, Fla., and has been given a clean bill of health. He'll return to the Dominican Republic, where he'll resume throwing, then return to Fort Myers in January to train in advance of the 2014 season.[/FONT]

Sano had played in just two games with just five at bats in the Dominican for Estrellas de Oriente.

#4 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:05 PM

Wow, is that some fantastic news. Dodged a bullet.

#5 JP3700

JP3700

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:08 PM

Best news of the day. Thanks for the update

#6 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,660 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:12 PM

Might be the best news of the offseason, and it's been a pretty good offseason.

#7 B Richard

B Richard

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:16 PM

This really is great news. I'm all amped up now!
Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
Better get while the gettin's good
Catch a ride to the end of the highway
Where the neons turn to wood

#8 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

• Members
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:35 PM

I'm glad he's been cleared, but I've heard this before, and sometimes shortly before a torn ligament.

#9 gil4

gil4

• Members
  • 597 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:00 PM

I'm glad he's been cleared, but I've heard this before, and sometimes shortly before a torn ligament.

That was my thought as well, but I'm glad someone else took charge of the doom-and-gloom department today. Hopefully it will prove to be unwarranted pessimism.

#10 B Richard

B Richard

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:16 PM

That was my thought as well, but I'm glad someone else took charge of the doom-and-gloom department today. Hopefully it will prove to be unwarranted pessimism.

Only time will tell. For now, however, we can move forward with increased optimism since the immediate concerns regarding his elbow have been quelled.

#11 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:43 PM

Keep in mind that a UCL injury for hitters is far different from pitchers. Unless it's completely torn, rest and rehab is likely the right answer.

#12 richardkr34

richardkr34

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:51 PM

YES!!! I know his value is in the power but that arm is supposedly legit. What he loses in foot speed he gains in arm. Now I just need to hear an update on Byron's shoulder

[FONT=Arial]Mike Berardino@MikeBerardino3h[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Terry Ryan termed Byron Buxton's left shoulder strain "just a tweak." Said he's "fine now."[/FONT]

#13 stringer bell

stringer bell

No Speed, Warning Track Power

• Twins News Team
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:55 PM

In the last year, Buxton (shoulder), Meyer (arm), Sano (elbow) and Pinto (shoulder) have all missed at least some time with injuries. Combine that with Rosario's looming suspension and there seems to be many reasons to be concerned about the team's top prospects. However, it looks like all will be healthy this spring. It shows to me that counting on the prospects to carry the team to championships is not a sure thing.

#14 B Richard

B Richard

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:42 PM

In the last year, Buxton (shoulder), Meyer (arm), Sano (elbow) and Pinto (shoulder) have all missed at least some time with injuries. Combine that with Rosario's looming suspension and there seems to be many reasons to be concerned about the team's top prospects.

As for Buxton and Sano, I'm not concerned. This past calendar year they played way more baseball than they ever had before. It's not entirely surprising that they might tweak something toward the end of an especially arduous season. These guys are human- they wear down after an extended season, especially one that they had never gone through before in terms of length. Meyer appears to be healthy and Sano has been cleared. I'm not incredibly worried that injury will be the factor that holds them back