Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

From MinnCentric

Photo

Article: Rajai Davis and the Twins Outfield Depth

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:55 PM

Wolfson reports the Twins are willing to commit multiple years to the 33 year-old outfielder.

-

Meh.

#2 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:57 PM

Unless he's going to start in CF, I'm not sure I understand this too much. I'm reasonably comfortable with a Pressley/Mastro platoon in center (or Hicks if he lights it up.)

Davis has not been a regular CF'er since 2010 so I have to imagine he's either being looked at as a 4th OF'er or they intend to DH Willingham.

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,025 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:09 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...-Outfield-Depth

#4 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:35 PM

Other then the Kids, and the DH , all we have a 4th and 5th outfielders, why sign another?
Just saying Davis had a 1.8 WAR last year dispite having a Neg.-D-WAR

#5 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:41 PM

The speed is good, but he can't be a leadoff hitter. I like the potential defense of Davis-Hicks-Presley/Parmelee to begin the season, certainly. An OF of Willingham-Davis-Arcia is possible, however, and that would be disturbing. Davis is good and I like him as an actual 4th OF.

#6 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:43 PM

I think there is a scenario where it makes sense to bring him here. He can compete with Presley for the CF job with Mastroianni. (also i think signing him says alot about how the Twins feel about Mastroianni's prospects of making the team). He can also have Presley move to LF and let Willingham DH. or Presley can move to RF if both Hicks and Arcia are not cutting it in the majors.... or ther could be another trade comming that we dont know about guarenteeing him a starting job all season. I see him as redundant however unless the trade angle or willingham to DH angle takes hold but even then Davis is just a place holder starter.

#7 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:51 PM

Unless the Twins intend to sign a premier OF, this is a waste of time. The roster is loaded with marginal players, there is no need to sign another.

#8 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Rochester

• Members
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:52 PM

We give a lot of deference on this site to Jason Parks at Baseball Prospectus. Parks rates our minor league system the best of all including Buxton as basically one of a kind. There's still Hicks and Presley, Arcia, Willingham for one more year, whoever else. So what would be the point of pursuing Rajai Davis? on a multi year deal?

#9 North Dakota Twins Fan

North Dakota Twins Fan

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:12 AM

Latest report on mlbtraderumors has Tigers as favorites to sign him with Twins still in mix. I'd love having Davis as a 4th OF with that speed on the basepaths.
All you need to know about North Dakota:

Economy is among best in nation because of Oil Boom.
You can play Blackjack for real money in bars here.
NDSU Bison good at football.
University of North Dakota good at Hockey.
Roger Maris and Phil Jackson (NBA coach) are from here.

#10 Otwins

Otwins

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:18 AM

Improves your outfield defense. Can be a late game pinch runner. Defensive replacement if you have Willingham or Arcia in the outfield. Pinch hit for Florimon. I think he would be useful. I would love the Twins to get to Seth's suggested OF of Rosario, Buxton and Hicks with a good 4th OFer. Best thing we could do for the pitching staff.

Edited by Otwins, 10 December 2013 - 12:18 AM.
spelling

#11 tmerrickkeller

tmerrickkeller

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:21 AM

The Twins traded JJHardy and brought in Nishi because of the desire to increase the speed of their lineup. While we have some speed available (Presley, Mastro, Hicks) we don't have a base stealer on the team, and it isn't a quality we have in great quantities in the minor league. If the issue is whether Davis' potential as a base-stealer outweighs Presley AND Mastro (with whom he is more redundant than our other outfielders), then fine. I think he's a reasonable 4th OF and an upgrade at a cheap price (and you always need a guy who can steal a base in the 9th in a close game, and we don't have that guy right now).

I just don't see us putting Presley, Hicks, and Davis (or, frankly, even two of the three at the outset of the season) in the outfield simultaneously, even though the speed and defense would be beneficial. That strategy just blocks any effort to use Willingham, Arcia, Doumit, Parmelee, Plouffe (if Sano plays third), Colabello, etc., etc., and relegates every single one of them to DH/platoon, and prevents us showcasing any of them.

Just like a balanced budget, you have to talk about what comes off the 40-man roster with each person you add to it....I say if it is simply a swap for Mastro, since we have Presley (who is also a swap for Mastro), then fine. Any more ambitious plans and this makes little sense.

#12 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:32 AM

I don't think I am crazy in saying this:

Davis is an improvement over Presley, Mastroianni, all the minor league filler of the past few years, and potentially Parmelee and Colabello. Now that alone still might not be enough for me to want him, but if Willingham is to be dealt (please, seriously), then Davis is actually a cheap upgrade over much of the nonsense we have seen the past two years. I don't think the Twins have the right idea in mind, but whatever. I would trade Willingham, play Davis in a platoon with Presley or Parmelee, and start Hicks in CF.

#13 Trevor0333

Trevor0333

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:36 AM

Davis is looking for a chance to start so if he comes to the Twins they told him the job is his too lose.

Hicks needs to start in AAA, if Parmelee starts with the team, Doumit has no place on the roster.

#14 Trevor0333

Trevor0333

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:42 AM

I'm sure they envision a OF of Rosario, Buxton, Hicks with Arcia at DH & playing 50-60 games a season in the OF.

Davis makes sense to have at least a good defense in the OF until the hitters come along.

#15 Erock

Erock

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:23 AM

He makes sense as a platoon and strengthens the outfield defense. Either way, I want someone fast in one of the corners this year.

#16 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:16 AM

There is no need to bring in Davis. we already have enough marginal players on the team to play outfield and it makes little sense to try to "fit him in" at a multi million dollar contract when we can get basically the same production from Mastro/Pressly

#17 AM.

AM.

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:24 AM

Yawn.

#18 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:26 AM

Well, when you have money to burn, it's hard to be too critical. But this is just weird. I'm all about creating competition to keep people on their toes, but he seems awfully redundant.

#19 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:30 AM

Rosario, Hicks, and Buxton have no business being in the majors right now. Colabello and Parms shouldn't be playing either. Presley is on the fence and Mastro is slightly worse. Hammer is a DH. Arcia needs to be playing. Basically he'd be the second/third best OF on the team after Arcia.

#20 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:57 AM

Both Alex Presley and Darin Mastroianni hit just as well as (or better than) Rajai Davis. They both have speed, and I'd consider Mastroianni's baserunning to be more or less on the same level as Davis, though he has less of a track record. They're both considerably younger than Davis. And Mastroianni and Presley together cost less than Davis will.

I want nothing to do with this guy.

#21 josecordoba

josecordoba

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:07 AM

He's heading to Detroit according to Doogie, so time to move on.

#22 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,514 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:09 AM

a. An important point in that list of current Twins' OF is that 7 of them are on the 40 man roster (and I do not view Rosario as an OF at this point and Buxton will not be up there in 2014) and adding Doumit, who should be on the list as well, makes 8. Unless the Twins move some for some actual return, adding another guy who maybe be a marginal improvement over Mastroianni and Presley is moot. The can have a good field light hit OF now with those 2 and Hicks, which can actually be a good late innings defensive OF. I hate the fact that the Twins have been giving players away recently; about time that trend reverses

b. The Twins have way to many holes right now to think about improving their 4th OF. Getting an extra half a win out of their fourth OF, is not just a luxury in a 99+96+96 loss team, it is simply silliness when it becomes a priority over bigger issues.

c. If they want to drive up the price that Detroit will pay, I say excellent work!

#23 josecordoba

josecordoba

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:10 AM

A move like this is fine in theory. This is one thing that Oakland does well is fill out the fringes of their roster. Perhaps it's part of a bigger problem that such players should be attainable for league minimum on a forty-man roster.

Edited by josecordoba, 10 December 2013 - 08:13 AM.

#24 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,990 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:10 AM

Redundant how? They have 1 OF on the roster right now, Arcia. Wilingham should be the DH, and never see LF again for an AL team. Hicks is an unknown. That leaves a bunch of AAAA/bakcup types. Why not sign him?

#25 CRArko

CRArko

Agent of SHIELD

• Members
  • 1,766 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:14 AM

I get the feeling this is a 'drive up the price for the Tigers' move. Sounds like Detroit is more serious about this.

#26 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,179 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:27 AM

a. An important point in that list of current Twins' OF is that 7 of them are on the 40 man roster (and I do not view Rosario as an OF at this point and Buxton will not be up there in 2014) and adding Doumit, who should be on the list as well, makes 8. Unless the Twins move some for some actual return, adding another guy who maybe be a marginal improvement over Mastroianni and Presley is moot. The can have a good field light hit OF now with those 2 and Hicks, which can actually be a good late innings defensive OF. I hate the fact that the Twins have been giving players away recently; about time that trend reverses

I agree with the sentiment that I'm not really sure Rajai brings much to the Twins roster and that 2014 should be used to answer some 40 man questions with the goal of jettisoning a bunch of these guys for 2015.

But outside of Hendriks, what players have the Twins given away?

#27 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,179 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:30 AM

I get the feeling this is a 'drive up the price for the Tigers' move. Sounds like Detroit is more serious about this.

Maybe it's just me but driving up player prices doesn't sound like JR's modus operandi. He has always struck me as a guy who goes after a player because he wants him, not because he's trying to drive up the price or keep him out of a division rival's hands.

For good or bad, that's just the guy he seems to be. He doesn't come across as the slightest bit devious.

#28 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,514 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:34 AM

Redundant how? They have 1 OF on the roster right now, Arcia. Wilingham should be the DH, and never see LF again for an AL team. Hicks is an unknown. That leaves a bunch of AAAA/bakcup types. Why not sign him?

Last season was the best of the last 3 on the plate for Davis. His slash line: .260/.312/.375 ; his career slash line an almost identical .268/.316/.377. He will be 33 next season so about to decline for a guy whose single major tool as a batter is his defense.

In 2012 when healthy, Mastroianni hit .252/.328/.350 for the Twins. Presley hit .283/.336/.363 last season and .264/.304/.411 for his career. Both of these guys are 5 years younger than Davis.

If their numbers are not close to Davis, I don't know how you get any closer. And if these guys are AAAA, then Davis is too... These 2 make Davis redundant, not Parmelee, Willingham, Doumit and Colabello...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#29 ericchri

ericchri

Generally Clueless

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:35 AM

They need to start shedding guys from their roster to make moves like this. I don't mind a slight upgrade over existing talent, and this would be, I'm just curious who they would drop to make this happen. They've seemed so reluctant to cut people loose previously (though the Liam Hendriks move may be a sign of change) that I struggle to see this happening.

#30 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,514 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:37 AM

But outside of Hendriks, what players have the Twins given away?

The off-season is still young

Liriano
Slowey
Mijares
Casilla
Valencia
Young
Thome
Dickey
Breslow
Ayala

etc etc