Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Who starts the most games at C

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Who starts the most games at catcher for the 2014 Twins (35 member(s) have cast votes)

Who starts the most games at catcher for the 2014 Twins

1. Josmil Pinto (31 votes [88.57%])

Percentage of vote: 88.57%

2. Voted Ryan Doumit (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Eric Fryer (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Chris Herrmann (0 votes [0.00%])

5. None of the Above (4 votes [11.43%])

Percentage of vote: 11.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:45 AM

Which player starts the most games for the Twins at catcher? Again, we know it won't be the same as 2013--that answer was Joe Mauer.

#2 Gernzy

Gernzy

• Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:05 AM

Not suprised almost everyone is going with Pinto.
I bent my wookie...

#3 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:38 AM

Not suprised almost everyone is going with Pinto.

Agreed. Thought about None of the Above. I still think they should sign somebody, but I'm not sure what is left is much of an improvement over Pinto. If the Twins were interested in Salty, I'm not sure why the contract he signed kept them from signing him.

#4 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:38 AM

I figure 3 guys will get at least 30 games but Pinto will eventually get the most. But Shane's gonna be real unhappy when Fryer gets a lot of the starts in April and May.

#5 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:58 AM

Can we agree that if Pinto turns out to be the right answer--most games at catcher in 2014--that will be qualified as a success?

#6 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,127 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:02 AM

I figure 3 guys will get at least 30 games but Pinto will eventually get the most. But Shane's gonna be real unhappy when Fryer gets a lot of the starts in April and May.

He won't be alone....

#7 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,127 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:06 AM

Can we agree that if Pinto turns out to be the right answer--most games at catcher in 2014--that will be qualified as a success?

Only if Pinto more-or-less consistenly performs at a major league level all season. Ryan hasn't exactly given him the most glowing review of his MLB career thus far. Don't get me wrong, I think most of us are pulling for him to make the separation from the rest of the pack, but the fact that the Twins were nearly all-in on AJ and Salty tells me that there are more than just lingering doubts about Pinto's readiness at this level.

Edited by jokin, 09 December 2013 - 09:09 AM.

#8 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:25 AM

Only if Pinto more-or-less consistenly performs at a major league level all season.

Yep, this is the primary qualification for Pinto sticking behind the plate. In the best of possible worlds he continues to develop his skills after winter ball, and into the spring to the point where he's a funtioning, developing backstop throughout 2014. We haven't seen his ceiling yet as a defensive player. He has room to grow into his catching gear. It would be fun to see him develop at the major league level, mirroring the growth he's shone while ascending through the minors.

Edited by Don't Feed the Greed Guy, 09 December 2013 - 09:29 AM.