Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

MI help in trade?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rico7961

rico7961

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:04 PM

With the winter meetings looming and the Twins having already made some impressive moves, it will be interesting to see what else TR has up his sleeve. One player who has always intrigued me is Danny Espinosa of the Nats. A 2b/ss who was a highly touted prospect, but has kinda fell out of favor in DC. He might be available for a minimal price. He strikes out to much and has a low BA. But he has 4 years of team contol, is a pretty good defensive 2b/ss, has pop in his bat, and is a switch hitter. With the Nats trading Lombardozzi, they might not be interested in dealing Espinosa. But IMO it would be worth TR's time to check on the availibility of Espinosa. He does have his flaws, but maybe needs a change of scenery to blossom. He hasn't played much ss in the majors because of Desmond, but for the right price I think he would be good competition for Florimon and good MI depth for our team. On other issues I hope we can attain one more starter (One of Garza, B Anderson, Hellickson). With a rotation of one of those 3 and the others we have obtained we could be looking at a .500 plus season. I would lean towards Garza myself, for the fact we don't have to give up anything in adding him to our team. Lets hope for the best.

#2 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:46 PM

"Give me liberty, or give me death!"

Patrick Henry in 1775 uttered these words in an address to the Virginia Convention to convince the Virginia house of Burgesses to deliver the Virginia troops to the revolution. I propose, that in hopes of acquiring a legitimate MLB SS (both offensively and defensively) you make a similiar appeal to TR and the front office which ends much the way Patrick Henry made his compassioned plea for action.

"It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Buxton, Sano– but there is no time for waiting. The off-season is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of expensive pens signing lucrative contracts! Our brethren are already in the field (and at the desk)! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is money so dear, or prospects so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of 2014 success? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me an above average offensive shortstop who can handle the position defensively or give me a true front of the rotation starter!"

#3 Wookiee of the Year

Wookiee of the Year

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:59 PM

I'm a big Espinosa proponent, too--and share your thinking (the Lombardozzi trade might make him unattainable, but he's at a great buy-low moment).

I know the Nats are seeking a lefty bullpen arm and can't help wondering if Duensing or Thielbar could hold some appeal for them. Or maybe Doumit as a left-handed hitting bench bat. Throw in a semi-decent prospect and maybe they'd bite? I don't know, but Espinosa's exactly the sort of high-upside, long on team control guy I'd like to see the Twins target at shortstop, even with the big risk he doesn't amount to anything. That's what makes him affordable.