Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

From MinnCentric

Photo

The Twins DFA Liam Hendriks

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,914 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:23 PM

Really did not see this coming, thought there were others on the 40-man who would go before him
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#2 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 3,578 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:43 PM

Not a big surprise but I was hoping he'd make it. Hope he gets another chance.

#3 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,259 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:45 PM

I'm shocked but trust it was the right decision.

Hendriks just seemed like a guy who needed some more big league innings to work things out.

Actually... Confidence was what he needed in my opinion.
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#4 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:55 PM

Actually... Confidence was what he needed in my opinion.

An out pitch might had serve him well too.

Interesting fact, the 3 SP leaders in K% in the Twins' rotation are gone now (DeVries, Hendriks, Pelfrey)
-----

#5 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,801 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:58 PM

I'm completely shocked. He's the youngest of the pitchers on the 40 man roster who could have been removed by a bit. He's had AAA success. He's got the velocity and the 2ndary pitches. I hope he does get claimed and turns out great. Of course, he could clear waivers and go back to Rochester.

#6 lee_the_twins_fan

lee_the_twins_fan

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:59 PM

Surprising news. I expected Hendriks to be one of the long shots to make the rotation.

#7 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:08 PM

Weird. There are a few other candidates for such a move . . .

#8 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:09 PM

I guess I don't mind it at all. I mean, who's going to carry him on their 40? He hasn't even had moderate success in the bigs.

#9 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

I really hope he clears waivers. I'd much rather have dumped Johnson, but this strikes me as a move of frustration by the Twins. I think they've just run out of ways to try and get him to translate his minor league success to the bigs.

#10 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:33 PM

Who are some of the guys that you would have placed on waivers before Hendriks? I'm not arguing with anyone who thinks someone else should have gone before Liam because I agree.

Chances he doesn't get claimed? I'd say 5%. Even with his bad numbers in the majors, he is just 25 years old and has a great track record in the minors.

#11 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:40 PM

Who are some of the guys that you would have placed on waivers before Hendriks?

Albers
Colabello
Mastroianni
Fryer
Thielbar
Diamond

(but I'd be on the phones trying to work a trade for the last 2 and Fien before waivers)
-----

#12 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:46 PM

I'm completely shocked. He's the youngest of the pitchers on the 40 man roster who could have been removed by a bit. He's had AAA success. He's got the velocity and the 2ndary pitches. I hope he does get claimed and turns out great. Of course, he could clear waivers and go back to Rochester.

If he does get claimed and then turns into a decent starter, what would the fans say about the coaching situation with the Twins?

#13 howieramone1406390264

howieramone1406390264

Banned

• Banned
  • 715 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:04 PM

I could be wrong, but I would guess the Twins have pretty well set their pecking order for starting pitchers and will, over time clear out any excess. They did this a number of years ago where they only had 12-13 at ST. I do expect other small moves, and wouldn't be surprised if Diamond, Worley, or Denuno are traded because they are out of options or ST performance.

I think Kris Johnson is set. First Scout spent 4 days in Indianapolis working the Morneau trade and Johnson is the lefthanded starting pitcher he ultimately ended up with and has 3 options. Len III said just before he left, he was looking for starting pitching that could debut at Target Field in 2014.

#14 Marta Shearing

Marta Shearing

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:05 PM

Would rather have seen colabello or macaroni dumped.

#15 Jdosen

Jdosen

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:07 PM

I don't like this at all. I mean, obviously the odds of him ever really becoming something are long, but I feel like he had more upside than a few guys on the 40. I always felt like if he ever got the chance to consistently start, he could have worked through some of the issues he had when he was up. I would be shocked if he passes through waivers. Someone will pick him up, and I hope he gets a chance to sink or swim in the bigs.
I just started the blog Troy Williamson's Hands which is about MN sports and whatever else I want to write--you can find it at http://troywilliamso...s.blogspot.com/
twitter: @dose17

#16 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 6,505 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:10 PM

First Scout spent 4 days in Indianapolis

Second prize was a week. Badum-tisssh.

#17 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

I'm content with this move, but I wish the best for Hendriks' future. I haven't seen anything that gives me any promise that he would be a good starter in the time he has. Orioles will probably nab him.

#18 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:23 PM

I am surprised by this move as well but maybe I shouldn't be. As far as pitchers go Diamond and Worley had shown something at the MLB level. Even slow pitch Albers had some good games in September so I guess you throw the guy (Hendricks) who never really put it together on the big stage under the bus and see if someone else likes him. I guess it makes sense. It just seems like the Twins typically give the younger guys every possible chance to succeed and this move doesn't seem to follow that trend. The Twins really must not be believers in his potential.

#19 lee_the_twins_fan

lee_the_twins_fan

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

Albers
Colabello
Mastroianni
Fryer
Thielbar
Diamond

(but I'd be on the phones trying to work a trade for the last 2 and Fien before waivers)

Mastroianni and Thielbar, maybe. But not the rest. Too much potential upside.

#20 Briley

Briley

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:47 PM

I guess I'm surprised too because I think there are people who are probably more deserving, however I guess I get the move. Even though Hendriks never really got an extended look (30 total games between 3 years), he never was able to really get anything going at the Major League Level. Plus the Twins 40 man is currently pretty full on the right handed starting pitcher front with Nolasco, Hughes, Correia, Deduno, Gibson, and Worley.