Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Cody's 2014 Minnesota Twins Top Prospects: 1-10

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 838 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:51 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...-Prospects-1-10

#2 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:10 PM

Pretty solid, but it looks like you're avoiding the Thorpe train right now.
[COLOR=#3E3E3E]
"The only question remaining could be, "How fast can he get up to Minnesota?""

I have a LOT more questions about Kohl Stewart. There is so little we get information on. It's frustrating when a top 50 prospect has no news about him. "Will he add even more velocity?" "Will his tertiary offering become a plus?" "Can he perform like this in a full season?" "Will he surpass Jonathan Gray and Mark Appel to benefit the Twins that they drafted 4th?" "Can we find similar talent to him in 2014?" "Does he still live like a 18/19 year old?" "What's his favorite movie?" "What's his offseason job?" Can he roll his tongue?"
Stuff like that[/COLOR]

#3 rukavina

rukavina

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:08 AM

[COLOR=#3e3e3e]"Meyer missed a little time in 2013 with a shoulder issue but he built up some innings in the Arizona Fall League. He will likely start the year in Rochester but this means he is one injury away from making his big league debut."[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#3e3e3e]Let's hope the injury is not his.[/COLOR]

#4 Yaw Sniwt

Yaw Sniwt

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:33 AM

As we look at our team make up for the future - Who do we want to be?
*Like the old Rangers and Yankees (Bombers and home run hitters) with little regard to strikeouts. They did produce runs however - just struggled in playoffs that way.
*Like Cardinals (team full of quality hitters who put the ball in play with hit and runs; etc.)
*Like the Giants with great pitching and great defense behind that pitching (OK hitters)

Which organization do we have the best chance to emulate and based on your viewpoint who would you put on the field by 2016?

#5 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:03 AM

[COLOR=#3e3e3e]"Meyer missed a little time in 2013 with a shoulder issue but he built up some innings in the Arizona Fall League. He will likely start the year in Rochester but this means he is one injury away from making his big league debut."[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#3e3e3e]Let's hope the injury is not his.[/COLOR]

Booo! We don't need this kind of jinxing! Boooooooo! Hisssss!

;)

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:05 AM

As we look at our team make up for the future - Who do we want to be?
*Like the old Rangers and Yankees (Bombers and home run hitters) with little regard to strikeouts. They did produce runs however - just struggled in playoffs that way.
*Like Cardinals (team full of quality hitters who put the ball in play with hit and runs; etc.)
*Like the Giants with great pitching and great defense behind that pitching (OK hitters)

Which organization do we have the best chance to emulate and based on your viewpoint who would you put on the field by 2016?

Great first forum post. Thank you!
I'd add that the Cardinals are based pretty strongly on starting pitching too. I think the ideal scenario is not to emulate anyone and develop your own path. Ideally that path involves guys at the top who get on base and guys in the middle who can knock the ball out of the park, even if they strike out some more. And then the back end of the batting order is solid overall. And, of course, having solid starting pitching is the key, and having a strong bullpen is the key once you get to the playoffs.

That's a little pie-in-the-sky scenario because even World Series champion teams aren't perfect, but as much of that as you can have, the better. Looking at the Twins prospects and current cornerstones, they're covering a lot of the areas you'd want them to.

#7 Lefty

Lefty

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:49 AM

I don't know a lot about Kohl Stewart and in no way am I criticizing your top 10. 20 innings in the minors last year? The kid likely never gave up more than a run or two in a game in high school and now he's in there with the big boys. There will probably be a few ups and downs for him in the next few years and hopefully he can handle the downs that he probably hasn't had much of yet. Lot of pressure on this kid, but I guess that is what the first round tag brings. Buxton has done it so far, hopefully Stewart can as well.

#8 BigTrane

BigTrane

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:53 AM

Heartily agree with Seth. My Birdos buddy consistently made the point (that's the polite way to say it) this season that their success depended in large part upon rookie pitching. So true. Wacha alone is enough to make me drool. Callup to WS win? Ridonkulous.

Chagrin aside, I have to give El Birdos props- they invented the farm system, and still do it best.

While I'm proud of the Twins farm system and always relish reading top ratings, when I look to the Cards, I see a much more complete system in terms of player development. In recent years, we've done well with developing OFs and SPs- but not getting those arms quite polished enough for the Big Show.

I would not be surprised to see a changing of the guard when Gardy finishes up. The extent of Rick Anderson's influence through the system is unknown to me, but I'd love to learn about that. We're at the point where we need to rethink- through the system- how SPs are coached and developed. Just the whole philosophy. It hasn't produced the results we want, and Cards prove that a mid-market team can do it. Why not us?

#9 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:11 AM

I think the Cards are the Top Example in maintaining a strong farm system too. That said however: I love what we have in our system and like Seth said - I believe we can create our own path.
We have enough potential table setters to start a line up (Buxton; Mauer; Polanco; Pinto; Rosario; Dozier; and believe it or not A. Hicks) and Power potential in (Arcia; Sano; Vargas; Walker; D. Hicks; Kepler; Parmelee; Colabello; & Ploufe) to make it work. Whatever combination of players from this list who happen to fill their potential - will make for a dangerous offense. All have been proven run producers in the minors and if they reach their potential, means they have carried that ability over to the MLB level.

The pitching will take care of its self by 2016 - Young budding stars on the mound.

Edited by lightfoot789, 05 December 2013 - 11:16 AM.

#10 LewFordLives

LewFordLives

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

Nice post, but I would definitely have Meyer ahead of Stewart, if only because we know what we're getting with Meyer. Meyer can get big league hitters out and has the potential to be a true ace. Whether he can refine his control and stay healthy is another issue....but he has true big leauge stuff. Stewart is still an unknown. He's only had a limited number of innings at rookie ball. These high school arms are always such a crapshoot. Most of them never reach their expectations, which is why I prefer to wait at least another year before saying he's a better prospect than Meyer.

#11 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:27 PM

Outstanding post--I realize that these lists are very subjective. However, in the young low minor pitchers category you have 5 guys listed (Stewart, Barrios, Thorpe, Gonsalves and Eades) (hope I didn't miss one). Arguably Gonsalves had the best season of the five last year and you have him at 19 and Stewart at 3. Now none of us know which of these guys will make it and which will falter and which will have Tommy John (though with the Twins bet on most having Tommy John). Given all that, I think you put Stewart too high and Gonsalves too low.

#12 howieramone1406390264

howieramone1406390264

Banned

• Banned
  • 715 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:22 PM

Outstanding post--I realize that these lists are very subjective. However, in the young low minor pitchers category you have 5 guys listed (Stewart, Barrios, Thorpe, Gonsalves and Eades) (hope I didn't miss one). Arguably Gonsalves had the best season of the five last year and you have him at 19 and Stewart at 3. Now none of us know which of these guys will make it and which will falter and which will have Tommy John (though with the Twins bet on most having Tommy John). Given all that, I think you put Stewart too high and Gonsalves too low.

I'm no scout but Gonsalves has a very big windup. Lots of arms and legs, and moving parts. I think he's a top prospect, but not a fast riser. I would be surprised if he's not a one level a year guy, which is just fine.

#13 orangevening

orangevening

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:45 AM

I'm not liking what I'm hearing about Stewart's diva attitude. Confidence and some cockiness is fine, even needed. But alienating teammates and coaches- I'm seeing a Garza 2.0 stituraion coming up. Bummer.

#14 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,215 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:34 PM

I don't know a lot about Kohl Stewart and in no way am I criticizing your top 10. 20 innings in the minors last year? The kid likely never gave up more than a run or two in a game in high school and now he's in there with the big boys. There will probably be a few ups and downs for him in the next few years and hopefully he can handle the downs that he probably hasn't had much of yet. Lot of pressure on this kid, but I guess that is what the first round tag brings. Buxton has done it so far, hopefully Stewart can as well.

Good first post. Welcome to TD.

#15 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Alcohol Infused

• Members
  • 550 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:10 PM

Cody,
I don't know what it is, but I don't like Jose Berrios. I can't explain it. Can you help me understand why you're so high on the guy?

Also, what's going on with Levi Michael? Dud extrodinaire?

#16 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,946 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:28 AM

Nitpick: Sano hit 35 HRs last year.

#17 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:47 AM

I'm also not as high on Berrios as a lot of people around here seem to be.

Great control, great makeup, yada yada yada, but his stuff is very average if you ask me. He's advanced for his age which in my opinion is a large reason for the success he's had so far at the low-levels, but that will catch up to him eventually unless his secondary-stuff improves.

I'd probably have him around at #9 or #10 on my lists. Which is right about where a borderline #3 or #4 starter should slot in a good and/or balanced farm system. (The Twins' system would be classified as 'better than good,' but not necessarily 'balanced')

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#18 Madre Dos

Madre Dos

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:01 PM

5 of mine - Muy bueno!

#19 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:19 AM

I'm not liking what I'm hearing about Stewart's diva attitude. Confidence and some cockiness is fine, even needed. But alienating teammates and coaches- I'm seeing a Garza 2.0 stituraion coming up. Bummer.

And where is this coming from? I frequent the minor league forums quite a bit. Haven't heard that Stewart has a "Diva attitude".

#20 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:26 AM

I would flip Stewart and Meyer personally. Meyer has had success at much higher levels and both look to be an ace in every sense of the word. But other than that, Stewart isn't too high. The kid has potential to have 4 plus pitches... Think about that for a second. This kid could be a beast. His biggest knock is that he's 19 and will start full season ball next year.

As for Gonsalves, he's a bit too low, but I do think that low teens is appropriate for him. He was considered first round talent and slipped due to a poor senior season. The Twins scouted him well b/c no one thought he would sign. Even so, he was never ranked higher than Stewart for good reason. I think both of these kids are going to get their first real experience in Cedar Rapids next season, and I hope they can move up the ranks together much like Mauer and Morneau did.

#21 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:12 PM

Max Kepler was at the cages today hitting while Tommy Watkins threw. He said he really enjoyed this fall, "it was fun". He's such a nice kid, hope he does well this year, it's a big one for him.

#22 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:42 PM

I'd probably have a couple of names in there that are missing (Thorpe, Gonsalves). But it's a good list.