Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Justin Morneau signs

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:06 PM

Justin Morneau signed a 2yr/$13M with the Rockies. Looks like Cuddy will have a new teammate.

#2 EephusKnuckler

EephusKnuckler

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:09 PM

Looks like I have a team to root for in the NL!

#3 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:15 PM

Congrates to Justin , It was bitter sweet to bitter again , Watching this beer guzzling goalie , grow up and turn into an MVP, only to see him struggle post injury.Yet through it all, Justin was Justin , a Class act , a good family man a humanitarian . Like Jim Thome baseball needs more people like these 2 , good luck Mr. Morneau

#4 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:18 PM

WT-heck is going on with these deals today. This might be the craziest day in a long time.

#5 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:20 PM

WT-heck is going on with these deals today. This might be the craziest day in a long time.

Me thinks the GMs just wanna have fun at the meeting , so there getting there home work done early

#6 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,097 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:29 PM

I guess this mean that Cuddy will continue to be a right fielder. I wonder how Justin will do in the thin air of Denver.

#7 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:33 PM

I'm really happy for Morneau. Seems like a good place to hopefully improve what he's done the last 3-4 years. I certainly hope for that. Good dude. Just like Cuddyer! And, nice contract. A 2nd year and more per year than I would have guessed. Good for him!

#8 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,580 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:43 PM

I'm really happy for Morneau. Seems like a good place to hopefully improve what he's done the last 3-4 years. I certainly hope for that. Good dude. Just like Cuddyer! And, nice contract. A 2nd year and more per year than I would have guessed. Good for him!

Me 2.

He still has career ahead of him and he will always be one of my favorite Twins.
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#9 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:04 PM

Very bizarre move by Colorado, to be honest. I hope Morneau stays healthy and produces for them, but what is going on with the Rockies? Basically giving Fowler away, and then signing someone they didn't need for what appears to be above-market dollars.

#10 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:22 PM

http://www.mlbtrader..._source=dlvr.it

Thoughts?

#11 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,838 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:30 PM

Really happy for Morneau but I agree with drivlikejehu that the Rockies are a puzzlement.

I remember some "need to add a veteran" for stability discussion when they signed Cuddy. Is this the same thing? Helton retires, have to add veteran leadership?

#12 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:31 PM

Good for Justin - and since I get the Colorado feed I'm looking forward to watching him play again, along with Cuddy.

#13 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:34 PM

Suprised he recieved 2 years. Im happy for Justin. He will always be one of my favorite players. Here's to hoping he can get his career back on track!

#14 Pius Jefferson

Pius Jefferson

The Southern Dandy

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:12 AM

Twins play the Rockies next season but the series is in Colorado right before the All-Star break.

#15 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:11 AM

Why didn't the Twins resign him they will never replace his bat.

#16 Larsbars08

Larsbars08

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:44 AM

Why didn't the Twins resign him they will never replace his bat.

I hope this is sarcasm.

I'm pretty surprised he got that much. I figured he would get a Ryan Doumit type contract, 1 year 3-4 million.

#17 BigTrane

BigTrane

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:47 AM

Good for Justin- he has to be happy with this deal!

My guess is the Rox logic is similar to Twins/Hughes: change of scenery is everything.
His bat stands to benefit in Denver- is there a better fit for him?

As for the Rox "plan", that's anybody's guess- but not our problem.
Good luck to him, sure it will be good times with Cuddy, and I WILL be watching that series!
Feel free to pile on about Suzuki.

#18 Tecmo

Tecmo

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:41 AM

Rockies management is the epitomy of incompetence.

#19 Gernzy

Gernzy

• Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:53 AM

Definatly happy that Morneau signed with the Rockies. I hope he has success there.
I bent my wookie...

#20 Blackjack

Blackjack

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:12 AM

Glad that the Twins didn't resign him, I heard too many short sarcastic answers from him during interviews - until he got a little humility after his injuries.

You wonder why he would even want to keep playing, one more concussion could affect the rest of his life, he already banked one big contract, how much money does a person need?

Good luck to him.

#21 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:34 AM

Good for Justin! I wish him all the best. I always hate seeing long-timers go, but such is the business and I hope he finds success again.
When life gives you lemons, suck on them and persevere.

#22 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:35 AM

You wonder why he would even want to keep playing, one more concussion could affect the rest of his life, he already banked one big contract, how much money does a person need?

Good luck to him.

Maybe because he loves it? I hope that's why anyway, and I would be very sympathetic to that answer. I doubt it's just about the money.

In any case, I wish him the best. I'll have to catch a few Rockies games this year to watch the former MVP and former batting champ.

#23 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:41 AM

Glad that the Twins didn't resign him, I heard too many short sarcastic answers from him during interviews

I like guys who can play baseball. I've never really cared if they're good at TV interviews.

#24 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 787 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:23 AM

Very bizarre move by Colorado, to be honest. I hope Morneau stays healthy and produces for them, but what is going on with the Rockies? Basically giving Fowler away, and then signing someone they didn't need for what appears to be above-market dollars.

Todd Helton just retired so someone has to play first base. I think Morneau could definitely hit 25+ homeruns playing in Denver.

#25 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:07 PM

Maybe because he loves it? I hope that's why anyway, and I would be very sympathetic to that answer. I doubt it's just about the money.

In any case, I wish him the best. I'll have to catch a few Rockies games this year to watch the former MVP and former batting champ.

I am 44 and play basketball before work with a group of coworkers every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I will keep doing it as long as my body allows, hopefully into my 60s. One of the guys is 65. Why would you quit when someone is paying you to do something you love so much? Youth will not come back. Do it while you can.

#26 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,838 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:25 PM

• Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 30m
    justin morneau deal with #rockies came in at $12.5M for 2. good to see 1 club friendly deal in the bunch.

Just to show how perspectives vary. Heyman calls the deal "club friendly" while many of us were shocked that it was for 2 years.

#27 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,580 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:29 PM

I am 44 and play basketball before work with a group of coworkers every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I will keep doing it as long as my body allows, hopefully into my 60s. One of the guys is 65. Why would you quit when someone is paying you to do something you love so much? Youth will not come back. Do it while you can.

You'd have to call security to keep me out.

If I was cut... I'd still show up with my glove and bat... Pretending that the cut didn't happen.
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#28 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 796 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:18 PM

• Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 30m
    justin morneau deal with #rockies came in at $12.5M for 2. good to see 1 club friendly deal in the bunch.

• Just to show how perspectives vary. Heyman calls the deal "club friendly" while many of us were shocked that it was for 2 years.

I'm still surprised we didn't bring him back and have Mauer play 3rd. Joe would be perfect over there, and we could of dumped Plouffe. It would be a much better team.

#29 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

I'm still surprised we didn't bring him back and have Mauer play 3rd. Joe would be perfect over there, and we could of dumped Plouffe. It would be a much better team.

I really think that if the Twins thought Mauer had the range to play third, they'd have tried that out. Even though I'm critical of the Twins front office often, I do think they are aware of the idea of the defensive spectrum and that moving Mauer to third would have been far better than moving him to first.

#30 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:57 PM

I really think that if the Twins thought Mauer had the range to play third, they'd have tried that out. Even though I'm critical of the Twins front office often, I do think they are aware of the idea of the defensive spectrum and that moving Mauer to third would have been far better than moving him to first.

A year or two ago, sure. But not in 2014.

What's the point of moving Mauer to third when Sano has improved drastically and looks to be in Minnesota by mid season?