Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Salty will sign with the Marlins

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:16 PM

3 years for 21 million. what does that mean for the Twins? Do we just sit tight and see how our current crop of catchers plays out or do we work a trade?

#2 stringer bell

stringer bell

I Want To Believe

• Twins News Team
  • 3,905 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:19 PM

Suzuki and Arencebia look to be the best veteran prospects. I find it interesting how much Hanigan is going to get from the Rays. Good defensive catchers must be scarce as hen's teeth.

#3 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,369 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:22 PM

OK price for a young decent catcher.

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#4 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:34 PM

With the numbers thrown around earlier, I am surprised that Salty didnt get more. I expected at least a 3/27 or 30 for him.

Buck is also available to catch and really all the Twins need is someone who can catch 80 -100 games and Pinto can do the rest as far as Catching goes.

Hopefully the Twins can now go out and sign a bat that can DH/3B such as Young or Reynolds and get another quality starter too.

#5 Hawkeye12

Hawkeye12

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:36 PM

I think John Buck will get a look. He's slightly better defensively than Arencibia and just as streaky with the bat. In small doses, I think he'd make a fine backup. Plus we could add a goalie style masked catcher to the roster! Wonder if that affects concussions at all?

#6 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:49 PM

With the numbers thrown around earlier, I am surprised that Salty didnt get more. I expected at least a 3/27 or 30 for him.

Buck is also available to catch and really all the Twins need is someone who can catch 80 -100 games and Pinto can do the rest as far as Catching goes.

Hopefully the Twins can now go out and sign a bat that can DH/3B such as Young or Reynolds and get another quality starter too.

I agree, I thought Salty would get a bigger deal. After McCann he was being touted as the next best option. I guess most teams didn't see it that way.

I don't like Arencibia. I don't think he is that good defensively and he is about as good as Drew with a bat in his hands (other than the home runs of course).

#7 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,719 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:02 PM

Hmmm. After seeing him go for only $7m per year, I'm a bit disappointed the Twins didn't pursue him more vigorously. That's only Josh Willingham money.

I still don't like Saltamacchia much in Target Field but his defense alone is worth several million a year.

#8 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,962 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:07 PM

I wonder what the big deal was with the third year; health concerns, production concerns.

#9 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:46 PM

Hmmm. After seeing him go for only $7m per year, I'm a bit disappointed the Twins didn't pursue him more vigorously. That's only Josh Willingham money.

I still don't like Saltamacchia much in Target Field but his defense alone is worth several million a year.

Yes, but that's 7 million that needs to be put at a bigger position need like the outfield.

#10 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:52 PM

Thank Goodness! The Twins didn't waste money, roster slot, or playing time on him! Happy for Saltalmacchia--but glad the Twins didn't go with him. Play Pinto! Experience in the ML is far more useful than Rochester. The FO can't boast about their MiL system and then be afraid to promote them to the Active Roster!

#11 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,727 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:57 PM

MLBTR points out the FL vs MN sales tax difference. That plus it being his home state, probably meant that Twins had to significantly outbid the Fish to get him

#12 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:01 PM

es regular aqui no es permisiblo hablo oltra idiomas?
is it a rule here you cant speak other languages?

#13 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 525 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:01 PM

I wasn't in favor of signing him, though he is a useful player. He has a lifetime OPS of .599 against lefties and isn't the greatest defensively. There are just much bigger fish to fry considering Pinto is worth a look.

#14 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,719 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:27 PM

MLBTR points out the FL vs MN sales tax difference. That plus it being his home state, probably meant that Twins had to significantly outbid the Fish to get him

Both very good points.

#15 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:37 PM

Sales tax? He could come here and just do his shopping online. :)

#16 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 673 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:40 PM

Both very good points.

Minnesota State Income Tax bracket for Salty, 9.85%. so roughly 10% or $700k a year.

http://www.revenue.s...d_Brackets.aspx

He probably won't be playing in Florida long. Marlins Owner, Laria, has turrets, he hits the trade button often and randomly.

I'm just glad the Twins didn't sign him. So glad.

#17 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:49 PM

I think John Buck will get a look. He's slightly better defensively than Arencibia and just as streaky with the bat. In small doses, I think he'd make a fine backup. Plus we could add a goalie style masked catcher to the roster! Wonder if that affects concussions at all?

We need to pass on Buck. He is a very poor receiver. While Doumit had poorer framing numbers per game, Buck gave up the most runs due to pitch framimg in 2013. He was also near the bottom in 2009, 2010 and 2011. His below average 2012 was his best year.

Good defensive catchers are changing teams quickly. It will take a team like the a Twins to give Buck another shot.

#18 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 673 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:55 PM

If I'm not mistaken, John Buck was Nolasco's catcher in 2011 (with FLA).

One of Nolasco's worst years...

http://www.baseball-...nolasri01.shtml

#19 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:59 PM

I think Suzuki is undervalued. He's excellent behind the plate, and when he's right, he's a decent gap hitter at the plate. He went through some nasty injury stuff the last two years and kept playing, to the detriment of his offensive stats, but he's still young (by catcher standards). He could be a solid play for the Twins.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#20 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:07 PM

I really think that Suzuki would be signed if he were excellent or even above average behind the plate.

http://www.statcorne...tcherReport.php

Catchers who are good framers help keep runners off the base in two ways. They get more strikes and with the bigger strike zone, batters have to swing at pitches on the edges. Good framers in the news changing teams today. Poor framers seeking jobs.

Teams don't agree on the impact of this data. The Twins appear to be on the side that it has little impact on their pitching and runs scored.

#21 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:13 PM

There are very few professional organizations that I would strongly be against playing for but the Loria Marlins are one of them.

#22 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,015 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:28 PM

There are very few professional organizations that I would strongly be against playing for but the Loria Marlins are one of them.

Yeah, how can anyone sign a contract with them and have any confidence it was made in good faith?

#23 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:35 PM

Minnesota State Income Tax bracket for Salty, 9.85%. so roughly 10% or $700k a year.

Not to make this a tax discussion, but actually pro athletes pay income tax based on where the games are played. So only half his salary (home games) would have been subject to Minnesota tax, and the rest on the various states where our road games are played.

#24 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:22 PM

Yeah, how can anyone sign a contract with them and have any confidence it was made in good faith?

Good point , if it wasnt for a rule about trading a F.A. signee until june , you would wonder if the Marlins would dump him for a prospect before the ink dries on his contract

#25 Brandon27

Brandon27

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:59 PM

only veteran catchers I could think of twins signing are Shoppach,Napoli,Torrealba or just keep what they got Pinto and Doumit.

#26 whosafraidofluigirussolo

whosafraidofluigirussolo

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:53 AM

As more catchers go off the board, it starts to make more sense for them to look on the trade market, particularly at players who might be displaced by these recent deals and who could be decent stopgaps or depth.

I don't know these players too well, but I'd at least be intrigued by Rob Brantly from the Marlins (he's losing starting gig to Salty now) and Jose Lobaton from the Rays (who have acquired Ryan Hanigan and resigned Jose Molina this offseason, leaving Lobaton out of a position.)

Quick look at baseball-reference indicates that Lobaton has hit a little bit in the last couple years, but has had his caught-stealing numbers plummet in the same time; meanwhile Brantly has hit in the minors, but not in the majors yet, and caught baserunners stealing at a league-average rate last year.

Edited by whosafraidofluigirussolo, 04 December 2013 - 12:56 AM.

#27 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:30 AM

I'm surprised he signed for such a reasonable amount - since reports seemed to indicate that the bidding had "gotten out of control". $7M / year is a good price for Salty, IMO.

I hope the Twins take a look at Suzuki, I think he'd be a great backup to Pinto. He plays decent defense and is a better hitter than most of the catchers still on the market.

#28 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:36 AM

I could handle Suzuki as a 60 game catcher with Pinto catching 102 and Doumit catching <3 innings.

#29 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,020 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:53 AM

http://www.revenue.s...d_Brackets.aspx

He probably won't be playing in Florida long. Marlins Owner, Laria, has turrets, he hits the trade button often and randomly.

I'm just glad the Twins didn't sign him. So glad.

Except pro athletes only pay the income tax for their home games....so half that number. But that is still a real number.

I agree with the poster earlier, they NEED OF help. Badly. Even when Buxton comes up, they have no LF. This year, they have no LF or CF, assuming Willingham is the DH. Ugh.
Lighten up Francis....

#30 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,020 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:54 AM

Oops, should have read the whole thread......
Lighten up Francis....