Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Twins Interested in Brett Anderson

anderson oakland athletics trade
  • Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#1 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,761 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:11 PM

Susan Slusser states that it is believed the Twins have talked to the A's about Anderson. It sounds kind of exciting, but it really is a no-brainer that Ryan would check in on him. The Twins really should be, and seem to be after any above average arm.

https://twitter.com/...950445475164160

I'd be all for it depending on the asking price, I can't imagine it's too high, but Beane has gotten pretty good value for his pitchers in the past.

#2 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,898 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:27 PM

I hope we land him. I trust TR not to over pay.

He's a terrible Health risk but a fantastic pitcher when healthy.

He'd look great on our DL and even better when he comes off our DL.
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#3 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:29 PM

Rosario for Anderson?

They need an 2nd baseman with Weeks gone, right?

#4 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,342 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:30 PM

I like him, especially because there is this perception (based on things like ERA and W-L again, brought about by a 17.9 HR/FB and a .359 BABIP) that he had an awful 2013, while his FIP and xFIP were 3.85 and 3.26 and his SIERA 3.31.

Would love it if the Twins are able to build a package around Diamond and/or Worley for Anderson (heck add Parmelee if you have to) so you kill a few birds as well...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#5 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:34 PM

Rosario for Anderson?

They need an 2nd baseman with Weeks gone, right?

I don't think they can trade Rosario while he's on a PED suspension. Am I wrong on that? I guess it depends on how you feel for those two guys but I think it's a slight overpay. I'm not a big Rosario fan but he's probably a top 80-100 range prospect and Anderson has been hurt for years now and owed a lot of money. I'd stay away from him and wouldn't want to give up a real rebuilding piece for him.

#6 S.

S.

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:36 PM

"3:08pm: [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]The Athletics aren't going to trade Anderson today, tweets John Hickey of the Bay Area News Group ([/FONT][/COLOR]on Twitter[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]). However, the A's are seeking bullpen depth."

Bodes well for us.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

#7 Marta Shearing

Marta Shearing

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:38 PM

Would love it if the Twins are able to build a package around Diamond and/or Worley for Anderson (heck add Parmelee if you have to) so you kill a few birds as well...

Do you take Beane for a fool?

#8 twinsajsf

twinsajsf

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:58 PM

[quote name='S.']"3:08pm: [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]The Athletics aren't going to trade Anderson today, tweets John Hickey of the Bay Area News Group ([/FONT][/COLOR]on Twitter[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]). However, the A's are seeking bullpen depth."

Bodes well for us.

[/FONT][/COLOR]Would Tonkin be enough to get this done, or would we need to give up a major league reliever such as Duensing, Fien or Pressly?

#9 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,266 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:03 PM

Why give up Tonkin for a guy taht has not pitched more than 50 innings in a year in a ML uniform since 2011? This is an injured guy, that hasn't been good/healthy since 2010. If you give something up, it is nothing of value at all, just to take the money off their hands (and even that seems like paying too much for me).

Why Worley? He is much more likely to be healthy. I'm baffled at the love.
Lighten up Francis....

#10 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:05 PM

"3:08pm: [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]The Athletics aren't going to trade Anderson today, tweets John Hickey of the Bay Area News Group ([/FONT][/COLOR]on Twitter[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]). However, the A's are seeking bullpen depth."

[/FONT][/COLOR]

I saw that too, was just about to post it on here. If it's bullpen they want, it is bullpen they shall get. I think maybe Fien and a middling prospect? Maybe even Burton? I don't know none of our relievers should be off the table other than Perkins. The other guys are all expendable/replaceable. Looks like the A's are in win now mode so would want contributors. Prospect would maybe have to be a piece they believe could help soon or now as well.

#11 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:25 PM

brought about by a 17.9 HR/FB and a .359 BABIP

I don't think Bert Blyleven gave up 18 HR for every flyball.

#12 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:27 PM

Duensing and Burton are bullpen depth. Both can be replaced by free agents.

#13 zchrz

zchrz

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:33 PM

Would love it if they can get him for Burton/ Fien + an ok prospect. They need a lefty bad, hes a risk and a little expensive but there is a ton of upside.

Or does a Travis Harrison or something along those lines get it done by himself.
"Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

#14 J-Dog Dungan

J-Dog Dungan

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:38 PM

@[COLOR=#293854]drock2190-[/COLOR]This feels like overpaying.

#15 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,342 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:43 PM

I don't think Bert Blyleven gave up 18 HR for every flyball.

Hard to tell because those numbers were not there yet ;)
but in 1986 and 87 Bert gave 1.66 and 1.55 HR/9IP. Anderson last season gave 1.01 HR/9, so maybe he did. It was the homerdome and that was before they put the screen at LF.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#16 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:44 PM

Burton stands to make over 3 million which would balance the trade dollars a little. or we could trade any of our relievers and add Diamond or Worely and get cash back in the deal. We could even add another reliever who is a prospect in the minors if we can get a few million back. that would make the payroll adjustment around 3-4 million for next year.

#17 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:46 PM

I imagine picking up Gregorson and Johnson today probably limits how much bullpen help they need anymore.

#18 Dance with Disco Dan

Dance with Disco Dan

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:57 PM

I love the healthy Anderson but how often do we see that? And he doesn't come cheap for what is essentially a make-good opportunity ($8 million next year and with a $12 million club option for 2015). If the Twins were close to contention, it may be worth a gamble. I don't see it given where the club is now. Injury history per Wikipedia:

• 2010 - Forearm strain (missed almost half the season)

• 2011 - Tommy John Surgery (made 13 starts before undergoing Tommy John Surgery in June)

• 2012 - Recovery from Tommy John Surgery (made 6 starts before landing on the DL with a side oblique strain)

• 2013 - Ankle injury (appeared in 6 games before suffering an ankle injury, later revealed to have stress fracture in his right foot)

#19 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:02 PM

I like him, especially because there is this perception (based on things like ERA and W-L again, brought about by a 17.9 HR/FB and a .359 BABIP) that he had an awful 2013, while his FIP and xFIP were 3.85 and 3.26 and his SIERA 3.31.

Why would that trade work? My guess is with the A's need for a bullpen arm, it would take a Burton plus a B prospect or Perkins with a return of Anderson and a C level prospect. I know its a fantasy game and I don't know what I am talking about. Even with their recent trade to `jgfdsjdhfjgssdfghshdssrtesrgshdgfjdhgg;hhkl;;lk

#20 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,767 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:07 PM

I love the healthy Anderson but how often do we see that? And he doesn't come cheap for what is essentially a make-good opportunity ($8 million next year and with a $12 million club option for 2015). If the Twins were close to contention, it may be worth a gamble. I don't see it given where the club is now. Injury history per Wikipedia:

• 2010 - Forearm strain (missed almost half the season)

• 2011 - Tommy John Surgery (made 13 starts before undergoing Tommy John Surgery in June)

• 2012 - Recovery from Tommy John Surgery (made 6 starts before landing on the DL with a side oblique strain)

• 2013 - Ankle injury (appeared in 6 games before suffering an ankle injury, later revealed to have stress fracture in his right foot)

This right here is why the A's won't get much for him... at least when combined with his contract.

I'd be willing to give up something of little value for him. From a risk standpoint, I'd argue that 2010-2012 were all due to Tommy John injury. That to me is over with. We have lots of decent options in the pen and just about any one of them (minus Perkins) would be well worth giving up for Anderson. As it is, they are going to have to make room for Tonkin, so I say do it if the A's want help in their pen.

#21 JP3700

JP3700

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:08 PM

After securing a couple of middle of the rotation guys, Anderson is the kind of guy that should be added. There's a reason that the A's turned down Wil Myers for Anderson last year. He's essentially a left handed Doug Fister, with more groundballs and more strikeouts. He'll only be 26 on opening day and has two years of team control left. He's also shown that he's willing to sign an extension.

Injury concerns are valid, but keep in mind he hasn't had an arm related injury since having Tommy John surgery. He had an oblique strain in 2012 and a stress fracture in his foot last year.

I'm not sure what it would take. The A's addressed most of their needs recently adding Kazmir, Gentry, Johnson and Gregorson. If they still want bullpen depth, I'd offer any two not named Perkins.

#22 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:46 PM

If we are talking about harrison, Walker or Kepler level prospects then I love it. If we are talking about Rosario or Arcia level prospects then I'm not as interested.

#23 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:13 PM

If they turned down Will Meyers straight up I doubt the Twins will have a package Beane likes. Lower level prospects might be to the A's liking rather than major league spare parts

#24 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:39 PM

Anderson's value has dropped since they turned down Will Myers as his cost is higher and he has hardly pitched the last few years so he will likely not pitch more than 160 innings this year if the team that gets him plans on keeping him the following year.

#25 JP3700

JP3700

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:40 PM

If they turned down Will Meyers straight up I doubt the Twins will have a package Beane likes. Lower level prospects might be to the A's liking rather than major league spare parts

Lot of things have changed since then. Last off-season Anderson was very good in his return from Tommy John until the oblique strain. Then he came back in the playoffs and dominated Detroit in a must win game 3. The A's also didn't have as much pitching depth as they do now.

#26 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:47 PM

Anderson would be a fantastic gamble to take.

#27 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:59 PM

Let's make it happen. I' m sure Billy isn't going to give him away though.

#28 bwille

bwille

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:10 PM

If they need a second basemen or middle infield help, wouldn't a deal that included brian dozier make sense? Say a possible combination of Duensing/Dozier or Burton/Dozier? I'm not sure if that'd be enough, but I've never been high on Dozier and I think selling him now when his value is highest would be a great move for the ballclub in the future.

#29 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:21 PM

Has any team ever gotten the better end of a trade with Oakland? A Brett Anderson trade would make people forget about the Garza/Young trade quick.
2 rules to live by in life
1. Never play with fire, you will get burned.
2. Never make a trade with Billy Beane, you will also get burned...

#30 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:22 PM

If they need a second basemen or middle infield help, wouldn't a deal that included brian dozier make sense? Say a possible combination of Duensing/Dozier or Burton/Dozier? I'm not sure if that'd be enough, but I've never been high on Dozier and I think selling him now when his value is highest would be a great move for the ballclub in the future.

IMO this type of deal would be a huge mistake. You built something with Dozier last year, don't sell that for a risky move pitcher. If you're going to trade him it needs to be for a proven, reliable exchange.