Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Twins sign relief pitcher Velasquez

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 gmarais66

gmarais66

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:07 PM

The Twins have signed relief pitcher Jon Velasquez to a minor league contract, with an invitation to spring training.

From Rotoworld: "Velasquez was once a farmhand with the Phillies, but he has spent the past three seasons in independent ball. The 28-year-old pitched exclusively in relief this year with the Camden Riversharks, posting a 1.95 ERA and 82/26 K/BB ratio over 73 2/3 innings."

#2 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:52 PM

Another indy ball success story in the making?

I don't mind minor league contracts for players that may have upside.

#3 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,821 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:10 PM

Ladies and gentlemen...

#4 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:17 PM

It's like the Twins have agreed to participate in the Make a Wish Foundation.

#5 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:38 PM

Another indy ball success story in the making?

I don't mind minor league contracts for players that may have upside.

Upside?

Not sure what to make of this signing. Velasquez was signed by the Phillies in 2009 as an undrafted free agent. Was not drafted in 40 rounds by 30 teams, so he was not among the 1200 best players in his draft class. He had an ok pro career but no cigar and spent all 2 seasons of it in the A leagues (as a 24 and 25 year old...) Spent his age 26 and 27 seasons as a middle of the road starter in the independent leagues. Last season he made the transition to a reliever and had actual success. As a 28 year old (in his prime) against competition akin to Midwest League level. Little guy. 6 feet with cleats on and maybe 160 lbs.

2014 will be his age 29 season

Upside?

You tell me.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,287 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:15 PM

There were 50 rounds in 2009, not 40, which of course just adds to your point.

Did he really get a big league spring training invite? That would shock me.

#7 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:26 PM

No ST invite as far as I can tell. I suspect he will be in the NB pen
-----

#8 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:29 PM

Twins website lists the signing but does not list him on the NRI roster.

#9 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:49 PM

Tyler Mason tweeted that it was a minor league deal with a spring training invite.

#10 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:05 PM

Twins website lists the signing but does not list him on the NRI roster.

Maybe take a couple days to update things , over there they dont have the same urgency it seems

#11 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:15 PM

Tyler Mason tweeted that it was a minor league deal with a spring training invite.

He likely got it wrong :)
-----

#12 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,037 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:28 AM

Upside?

Not sure what to make of this signing. Velasquez was signed by the Phillies in 2009 as an undrafted free agent. Was not drafted in 40 rounds by 30 teams, so he was not among the 1200 best players in his draft class. He had an ok pro career but no cigar and spent all 2 seasons of it in the A leagues (as a 24 and 25 year old...) Spent his age 26 and 27 seasons as a middle of the road starter in the independent leagues. Last season he made the transition to a reliever and had actual success. As a 28 year old (in his prime) against competition akin to Midwest League level. Little guy. 6 feet with cleats on and maybe 160 lbs.

2014 will be his age 29 season

Upside?

You tell me.

Well the Twins have to continue on blocking/slowing the progress of players in their system. Don't sign Fryer to that deal, protect Achter, and never bother with such scrub pitchers? Is that so much to ask for?

#13 BigTrane

BigTrane

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:30 AM

Puzzlin'- no other word for it.

Sure, you want to keep the system stocked, but- this way? With this?
Little guy, 28, hasn't gone beyond A-ball- is that right?

I don't even see how he's a chip in the grand scheme of trades.
Unless, it's all MiL trades. Huh?

Yes, it's true- you can never have enough pitching. Depth there is a luxury.
Why does this feel like Aqua City Motel-style luxury?

We're deep with guys like Velasquez, Kris Johnson, etc. How many old, career minor league 'depth guys' do we have right now? How many do we want/need? Where's the value? Why are we doing this? Here's looking at you, TR...
Feel free to pile on about Suzuki.

#14 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:15 AM

A few years ago the Twins signed off the scrap heap a 31 year old relief pitcher who avg 7.8 k/9 and 3.9BB/9 in his healthy seasons (which had been over two years ago) and that turned out pretty good. They also did a good job finding Fien - more or less a career minor leaguer when we signed him.

I'm really not sure what the fuss is over signing a guy and giving him a look. It looks like something clicked for Velasquez last year when he was moved to the bullpen - he had been a starter before.

#15 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:17 AM

We're deep with guys like Velasquez, Kris Johnson, etc. How many old, career minor league 'depth guys' do we have right now? How many do we want/need? Where's the value? Why are we doing this? Here's looking at you, TR...

It's almost certain that fans get too attached to minor league stat lines (see Slama, Anthony) and over rate milb bullpen arms. Twins probably think these guys are upgrades and/or added depth.

#16 jay

jay

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:47 AM

I still don't understand why these depth signings get such a negative response. It's not even like he's on the 40-man. You can't honestly tell me he'll be blocking innings that our relief pitcher prospects need. Those guys will get their innings. What does this matter to the point of being negative about it?

The story with Rahl and the unwarranted hate there was that it was "more of the same". Then the last few days happened. Can we give this stuff a rest yet? Maybe just welcome the guy to the organization and wish him the best?

#17 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:59 AM

I agree, Jay. I hope he takes advantage of this opportunity and gets a good couple year career in. Maybe the Twins have found something with these Indy guys. They sign for cheap and are at the peak of their careers. You can get maybe a handful of years from them at minimum prices and move on. I'm cool with that.

#18 BigTrane

BigTrane

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:18 AM

@ jay & chance- points taken.

For the record, I'm high on Albers- total out-of-the-blue, Indy-type guy.
Love to see him scrum for #5 spot & become a successful Moyers-type Baffler.

As for why the negativity I'd venture that w/Nolasco & Hughes, we shored things up considerably. Still, there's a large contingent that would love to see a true #1.

Depth moves need to be made- no question- but given TR's past record of pawning off AAAA guys as true starters, I think it's reasonable to be skeptical, and at the very least be questioning about such moves.
Feel free to pile on about Suzuki.