Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Trevor Plouffe

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:02 AM

Assuming Miguel Sano's arm is healthy and he has a very productive couple months in AAA(or wherever):

Does anyone see Trevor Plouffe playing well enough to be someone we could sell high on in July or move to a corner OF spot? He is in a situation we haven't seen in quite a while, probably since AJ had Mauer on his heels. AJ had a nice career(much better than plouffe) with the Twins and was able to fetch a handsome reward as we all remember. Could Poof! put up big enough numbers in the first half while he plays for a job that he has no chance of keeping?

In a way, it's almost like a contract year for Plouffe. If he stinks, he will lose 3B job, be relegated to a bench role for remainder of season, likely be non-tendered and then potentially be searching for a team willing to take him on as a bench player/platoon partner.

2014 might be the most important season of Plouffe's career, what say you? Have we seen the best of Plouffe?

#2 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,384 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:24 AM

I've stated my feelings on Plouffe multiple times.

I think he could be a very important part of the Twins even after Sano arrives... But... It's up to Trevor.

He either gets engaged with every pitch of every game defensively and offensively or Sano runs him over and sends his career into a tailspin.

2014 is huge for Trevor. I think the Twins will give him every chance to build up his trade value... Meaning every day job for display purposes.

Myself... I'd up the heat on him... I'd be searching for a 3B who can pressure him to start the season. Making sure that Plouffe understands that he doesn't have an every day job by default.

Someone like Bonofacio in a trade or Chris Nelson since he's available. Someone who can play another position when Sano arrives.

Plouffe can have an every day job if he earns it. No more of this default stuff.

He has 30 HR potential... I don't want to throw him away. I'm sure he puts effort in the cage... In the film room... I'm sure he listens to Gardy, Bruno and the coaches... So I'm sure he is working hard off the field... I'm sure he will tell anyone that he really really wants to win.

But... He's not working hard ON the field.

In my Opinion of course.
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#3 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:32 AM

Plouffe needs to be in a platoon, that's his future.

#4 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:18 PM

Like, as in the Army?? I'm not sure he is cut out for that.

#5 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:27 PM

Like, as in the Army?? I'm not sure he is cut out for that.

no like the movie...

#6 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:45 PM

For the last couple of years I've wanted Plouffe gone. But he stays. So he'll probably be here again this spring. I'd really like to see us sign someone to compete at least for 3rd base and put the pressure on Trevor. I doubt he's got much trade value now, and I fear it will be even less in July. Selling high has come and gone. My the life of me I just can't see Plouffe in a major league uniform, and it'll be hard to watch again next season.

#7 Hartzy34

Hartzy34

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:52 PM

Is anybody else concerned about Brunansky as a hitting coach? I really didn't see any improvement in Twins hitters last year aside from more strikeouts and more homeruns which suggest we're swinging for more power but we also had fewer RBI and BA, OPS were both down from the Vavra era...

#8 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

Let's fire Bruno and hire Hrbek. just kidding

#9 Hartzy34

Hartzy34

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:22 PM

His fishing show is done, maybe he could use a job...:P I was actually thinking we need a more pure hitter like Carew, Molitor or Oliva

#10 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:34 PM

Erik Chavez, left handed hitter, 6 gold gloves to his name ? and is spanish speaking so could be a mentor to Sano

#11 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,369 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:57 PM

Trade Plouffe and a prospect to the Pads for Chase Headley. One year of Headley until Sano is ready and a draft pick when he leaves. Never happen, I'm being silly now!

However I have little sense Plouffe will figure it out. He isn't good at anything except for about a 2 week period in 2012, when he was on fire, his power numbers aren't even very good.

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#12 VandyTwinsFan

VandyTwinsFan

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:16 PM

Call me a sucker, but I still have some faith in the guy. If you look at his stats, he was batting .269 as late as July 4th, and that was with a pretty ugly April (.217). He has the second highest line drive rate on the team behind Mauer. He's a dead pull power hitter, but I saw him hit some line drives oppo last year. Unfortunately, they all seemed to go straight to the right fielder. His fielding % went from .935 to .956 from 2012 to 2013. He went from 17 errors in 804 innings in 2012 to 13 in 1035 in 2013. Better, yeah?

Look, the guy is improving. Is it as fast as we would like? Obviously not. He's very streaky and thrives on confidence. I think all he needs is someone to click with and have some fun playing ball with. When the team starts tanking at the end of the year, he does too. Personally, I'd rather have him get a 1st baseman's glove and turn into Cuddyer. Hopefully he bats well enough to start every day, but he can always spell Mauer, Sano, or an outfielder. Maybe even grab an outfield spot if he hits well. Just don't give up on the guy. Wait for him to stop improving first.

#13 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:22 PM

I think Plouffe "has a rabbi" in the Twins organization, and he will be extended every possibility to succeed. Sano being promoted to the Twins and sticking in 2014 is not cast in steel. Quite likely the Twins will keep Plouffe (unless they receive a handsome offer in a trade) as "Hicks insurance". My read of the tea leaves is that the Twins management believed they "got burned" by placing trust in their newly promoted players. promotions will be delayed and veterans will be retained to buttress every newly promoted player to the Active Roster.

#14 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:45 PM

To get Headley for Plouffe, the prospect would probably have to be someone like Rosario.

So, no thanks.

#15 zchrz

zchrz

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

Chavez would be a great move in my opinion but I think they are going to just roll with Plouffe until Sano gets here. Plouffe has the potential to be a valuable piece but it isn't as an everyday 3b, his ceiling is Cuddy-lite moving around the corners in the IF and OF and maybe some 2nd. He has pop and he demolishes lefties but gets killed in his platoon splits, and since there are more RH pitchers once he starts slumping he keeps getting a heavy dose of guys he can't hit well. At the end of the year however he was looking a little better vs righties going the other way a bit, but sacrificed most of his power. If he can do that in limited exposure to them and still own lefties he could be a good piece to have.
"Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

#16 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:02 PM

This is probably the last year for Plouffe and Parmelee for that matter to prove something. Both have teased with the bat and both need to break out. Plouffe won't have a position next year at this time (baring injury) so he's going to have to hit well enough for the Twins to find him one. DH is still open from a "next wave" standpoint and they may still need a corner OF if Hicks or Arcia flop, so I'd say that this is make or break. If he hits, the worst case is that he's a DH (and given his defense that might not be a bad option). The same is true with Parmelee. If they both hit, I'd say one of them or Hicks can be traded for something nice. If neither hit, the team will likely be doing some sort of platoon at DH or shopping for one.

#17 stringer bell

stringer bell

I Want To Believe

• Twins News Team
  • 3,906 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:56 PM

I won't shed tears if Plouffe is benched, traded, or becomes an extra player. However, I can't see adding an Eric Chavez. Having two guys playing one position is tough to do in the era of 12-man pitching staffs. A pure platoon means the younger player, who the Twins can control for three more years would start between and quarter and a third of the time. I want Sano to be the Twins 3B sometime in 2014. I want Plouffe to build enough value to net something good in a trade or to merit being reassigned as a poor-fielding corner OF or DH. Chavez was a good player with an extensive injury history. He turns 36 in less than a week. I doubt his health over the course of a year. In a different situation, Chavez could be a nice pickup, but not with Sano just around the corner.

#18 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:44 PM

At this point Plouffe is simply a role player holding down 3b for Sano. Guys like him are still valuable on teams. He has position flexibility with some power. I see him staying with the Twins for several more years until they have better options coming up.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#19 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:59 PM

I won't shed tears if Plouffe is benched, traded, or becomes an extra player. However, I can't see adding an Eric Chavez. Having two guys playing one position is tough to do in the era of 12-man pitching staffs. A pure platoon means the younger player, who the Twins can control for three more years would start between and quarter and a third of the time. I want Sano to be the Twins 3B sometime in 2014. I want Plouffe to build enough value to net something good in a trade or to merit being reassigned as a poor-fielding corner OF or DH. Chavez was a good player with an extensive injury history. He turns 36 in less than a week. I doubt his health over the course of a year. In a different situation, Chavez could be a nice pickup, but not with Sano just around the corner.

So when Sano arrives he will start 162 games a year, he wont struggle ?
Having a veteran presence would only help the kid, someone he could talk to , yes thats what we have coaches for , and with adding Paul it should help,but last year it took our infield coach 140 games to figure out Trevor was playing to deep on most pitches

#20 ND-Fan

ND-Fan

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:29 AM

I don't think Plouffe will be around much longer his contract this year will be 2 million and probably heading higher next year. For the Twins to keep him he needs continue improve in his defense and hitting. Statistically he has shown improvement but what doesn't show up is his poor at bats that he gave away by not working pitcher to favorable hitting situation but swinging freely until he dug whole for himself. Same thing in his fielding he can make a great play and then he gets beat by either being out position or not making correct decision on what to do with ball. I think Twins have given ample opportunity to prove himself and I believe this make or break year for him for the Twins and if he's going to significant baseball career. I get feeling he can get cocky when he's one his streaks and forgets he needs to keep doing all little things and he doesn't need to do that because he's star. If he grows up and learns to be professional all the time playing baseball he could have very good career in baseball.

#21 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:37 AM

A Plouffe/Parmelee platoon is in order in RF or LF if Parm can play that damn position. Like Parmelee, Plouffe could prove to be an average or better defender. It's all temporary, of course, but still. Or I would like this damn team to get rid of Doumit and Plouffe can be a primary DH, and batting cleanup against lefties.

#22 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,003 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:20 AM

Agreed, and have continually argued for such. Which is why his days with the Twins are sorely numbered. The logical trade is to the Orioles, they love them their ex-Twins and are in the process of lopping off salary, ie, as most recently in the form of their closer, Jim Johnson, to gain payroll room for FA SP acquisitions, in addition to their now-gaping hole for a cheaper closer, they are also looking for help at DH, LF and at 2B, and would like to move Hardy out of SS. Plouffe would be the perfect platoon partner with Davis at 1b. Plus 21 year old Jonathan Shoop appears ready to be their next Manny Machado, somewhere in the infield- 2B, perhaps 3rd. Plouffe could also partner with Ryan Flaherty at 2b or 3b, as well, to facilitate the Machado move.

Assuming Machado is 100% healthy to open the season @ SS for the Orioles, how about Plouffe, Willingham, Worley AND Glen Perkins for JJ Hardy, Matt Weiters (O's are shopping him) and PTBNL (SP Hunter Harvey). [Though the O's would surely holdout for Rosario, I would hope the Twins would hold out for more as Hardy is only signed for 2014].

Edited by jokin, 04 December 2013 - 06:01 AM.

#23 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:06 AM

A Plouffe/Parmelee platoon is in order in RF or LF if Parm can play that damn position. Like Parmelee, Plouffe could prove to be an average or better defender. It's all temporary, of course, but still. Or I would like this damn team to get rid of Doumit and Plouffe can be a primary DH, and batting cleanup against lefties.

Shane! We agree! It's the Apocalypse!

Both Parmelee and Plouffe are 1st round draft picks. They are extended every opportunity for that reason, but both are out of time. They need to show something useful in 2014.

While it is rare for Gardy to use a platoon (very rare?) these guys are well suited to a corner OF spot. Parmelee's splits aren't as extreme as Plouffe's, but it would leverage his strength against RH pitchers.

Parms surprised last season by playing a decent RF. Plouffe certainly has the arm for it.

I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

#24 BigTrane

BigTrane

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:14 AM

I would agree with the basic premise that '14 is make or break for Plouffe.

He's had time, shown improvement, and will get a shot in ST. Fair's fair.

This guy has serious holes in his game, and his potential for turning it around ASAP is questionable. Maybe Sano on his heels will serve as an inspiration. I don't think there's a Twins fan that isn't looking to him as the future, right? So, think of it this way: unless Plouffe has a knockdown-dragout, breakout year in '14, it's cuttin' time. Arbitration eligible after '14...

Obviously, we have to see Sano at the Bigs to have a chance to compare and decide- and I'm sure that's the situation the club wants. Good. Hit it or quit it. I am certain we'll get a preview (or two) of Sano in '14, and generally like the idea of competing for spots. (5-spot in the rotation, same thing.)

This one could break either way, but I say, decide it on the field. I'm no fan of Plouffe, personally, but if Sano does good (though need time to transition) hanging on to Plouffe for depth for a season makes sense. We'll see though. Hopefully, we're raving about Sano this time next year.

Anyway, TP should have the motivation now, but the real decision gets made after the '14 season.
Feel free to pile on about Suzuki.

#25 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:22 AM

I'm with the majority on here that believe Plouffe won't have a starting job in 2015. However, that doesn't mean he won't have value for the Twins.

I think Plouffe's future with the team will be as a super utility player. He can fill in at the corner outfield positions, give Mauer a day off at 1B, DH if needed and, yes, even cover 3B for a day or two if Sano needs some rest.

Contending teams always need versatile players on the bench, and I think Plouffe can be one of those players in the coming years.

#26 Jdosen

Jdosen

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:37 PM

I've been saying this to people for a long time now. I can absolutely see him leaving the Twins after/during this season and somehow ending up on the Rays/A's/Blue Jays/some other smart team as a corner IF/OF guy who almost exclusively plays against leftys. Starts against lefty starters and pinch hits once a lefty is brought in from the bullpen. I think if he is managed right (i.e. the way I just explained), he can be a valuable role player for a few years.
I just started the blog Troy Williamson's Hands which is about MN sports and whatever else I want to write--you can find it at http://troywilliamso...s.blogspot.com/
twitter: @dose17

#27 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,384 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:33 PM

A Plouffe/Parmelee platoon is in order in RF or LF if Parm can play that damn position.

?

Parm knocked me out with his RF play. He showed range... He made some catches he shouldn't have made. He played the Target field wall better than anyone. He had a real good arm.

IMO... He can play RF... I have no worries.

I don't know if Plouffe can play the position though but it's hard to be a pylon in the OF so I'm ok with Plouffe out there.

#28 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:58 PM

Plouffe/Parms would be an excellent platoon. Plus it would force Arcia to DH - where he belongs.

#29 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,384 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:05 PM

I don't think its fair to think Plouffe should be Brett Lawrie, Manny Machado or Nolen Arenado with the glove... However... The 3B position has changed. They are making plays over there on a nightly basis. It's a whole new level.

I do think its reasonable to think he could be closer to the modern third basemen. If he can't... He has to produce Offensively.

Here are some videos to look at... Watch them and ask yourself how far off we are from this with Plouffe.

http://wapc.mlb.com/...23&topic_id=col

http://www.bluejayhu...ve-gems-of.html

Brooks Robinson has been surpassed. 3B is at a whole new level every night.

Edited by Riverbrian, 04 December 2013 - 07:08 PM.