Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Oakland acquires Jim Johnson

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:28 AM

http://sports.yahoo....06837--mlb.html

Apparently Beane has decided to go against his own rule of not trading for proven closers.

#2 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:42 AM

Interesting deal. The A's must have soured on Weeks. I'm not sure who is the "winner" here.

But it certainly puts in perspective what both Dozier and Perkins are worth right now, Dozier in particular.

#3 iastfan112

iastfan112

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:37 AM

Interesting deal. The A's must have soured on Weeks. I'm not sure who is the "winner" here.

But it certainly puts in perspective what both Dozier and Perkins are worth right now, Dozier in particular.

Seems like a salary dump by Baltimore to me. Weeks one good season was the product of a very high BABIP. Johnson is going to be overpaid but is actually a talented player.

#4 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,735 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:49 AM

Apparently Beane has decided to go against his own rule of not trading for proven closers.

No rule in Moneyball prohibits acquiring an "effective reliever" though. If they had soured on Weeks, particularly his defense, then converting an inadequate infield part into a productive bullpen piece sounds like a win to me.

#5 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:39 PM

Strange though that the A's of all teams are OK with paying a closer $10 million but couldn't find $13 million to spend on Tim Hudson. Doesn't seem like wise financial management for a team that seems to embrace their winning despite being near the bottom of the leagues payscale.

#6 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,735 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:58 PM

Isn't there a $20M windfall (TV revenue?) for each team starting this year? Maybe the As are approaching it as a chance to spend on an individual player or two, rather than spread it around more thinly. And Hudson for whatever reason (age?) wasn't to their liking for that expenditure.

#7 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

I would have thought the A's would have gone with an internal option to close in either Cook or Doolittle.

#8 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,027 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:40 PM

Oakland also acquired a pretty solid reliever in Gregerson today, so probably part of a strategy that is a bit new to them.

#9 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:12 PM

Strange though that the A's of all teams are OK with paying a closer $10 million but couldn't find $13 million to spend on Tim Hudson. Doesn't seem like wise financial management for a team that seems to embrace their winning despite being near the bottom of the leagues payscale.

I don't follow. they passed on Hudson but later signed Kazmir in his place. they also traded basically nothing they needed for 2 very good RP'ers on one year contracts. Individual RP'ers might be overrated but but a deep elite bullpen shortens the game considerably. And I think part of Beane's strategy has always seemed to pick up unwanted veterans on short contracts. edit - and spend his budgeted money. He always seems to spend the same amount of money.

Edited by kab21, 03 December 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#10 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,385 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:37 PM

It's pretty clear to me... The A's are filling in some areas for a serious run at it.

They've been close... It looks like they are trying to get closer.
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".