Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Denard Span trade option?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 rogrulz30

rogrulz30

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:53 PM

Trade Span? I was listening to the Common Man yesterday, they were responding to a thread of trading Denard Span. I was fishing yesterday morning on Lake Superior and I just yelled out why would you be talking about trading Span? Yes we need pitching, but we don't have OF's. Revere is not a lead off guy, sure he can run fast and cover lots of ground in the outfield, but he has as subpar arm. Everyones tradeable!! I get that, but I don't think trading Span is an option at this point. I think the upcoming draft is the place where we will upgrade pitching, also I think the free agent market, albeit not a huge pitching market next year is where we upgrade pitching, not trading Span. Greinke, Gibson, Baker, yeah Greinke is a stretch, but I don't think it is out of any possibilities. We need Span, to trade him would not be a smart move by the Twins right now.

#2 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,762 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:06 AM

Span has done pretty much everything asked of him so far this year (minus the 2 boneheaded throws to 3rd tonight). .376-.439-805, what more do you want from your lead-off hitter. Now is not the time to move Span. July, well we'll see.

#3 nokomismod

nokomismod

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:40 AM

Span has done pretty much everything asked of him so far this year (minus the 2 boneheaded throws to 3rd tonight). .376-.439-805, what more do you want from your lead-off hitter. Now is not the time to move Span. July, well we'll see.

Agreed that trades can wait. We do need starting pitching help and Span could be one chip we could use, but not until Benson is ready.

#4 shs_59

shs_59

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:49 AM

Those weren't even "boneheaded" throws IMO if the first 1 is a second quicker or Valencia DOES ANYTHING to block the base as he recieves the throw thats an out. And on Throw #2 you have to try for it at that point. I agree with the Topic Poster though, at this point trading Span (this year) seems silly. It most certainly won't happen. (maybe in the off-season or next year, but not now)

Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AAA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-A) 5. J.O. Berrios (P-AA) 6.Nick Gordon (SS-RK)  7. *Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8.Jorge Polanco (2B-AA)  9. L. Thorpe (SP-A) 10. *Trevor May (SP-AAA) 11.Kennys Vargas (1B-AAA) 12.Travis Harrison (OF-A+) 13.Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A+) 15.Nick Burdi (RP-A)  Just Missed :P P Tyler Duffey, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

#5 silverslugger

silverslugger

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:09 AM

I'm not trading Span at all this year, and possibly not in the offseason. He's way too valuable in this lineup and in our outfield at this point and the players mentioned in house as possible replacements are anything but proven at the major league level. Yes, I get that we need pitching for this year and certainly next. The conundrum, don't think that this years draft is going to create pitching for next year or even 2014. Realistically, pitchers drafted this year will most likely not be contributors at the major league level for at least 3 seasons. Players drafted this year will be players, hopefully, performing at Target Field in the latter half of this decade. The Twins are going to have to pony up some money in the offseason to bring in FA pitching and they'll have that money available within the payroll. There's not enough talent right now to be trading away talent in return for talent elsewhere.

#6 one_eyed_jack

one_eyed_jack

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:06 AM

I don't see why you'd trade Span. I don't consider him untouchable - if some other team calls TR with an offer too good to refuse, fine. But he's one of the last guys I'd look to as trade bait. He's a legit leadoff hitter who plays solid D in center and has a favorable contract. And it's not like there's anyone he's blocking. I might feel differently if Revere had an arm or had shown he could get on base more consistently.

#7 Kneelb4zerg

Kneelb4zerg

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:38 AM

You consider trading Span because he's one of the only guys on the team with trade value (age, production, contract situation) and because the Twins have so many young outfielders coming through the system (outside of just Revere). Trading from a position of strength. No reason to trade him unless you get a really good offer.

#8 TwinsFanLV

TwinsFanLV

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:00 AM

I have always liked Span, but agree with the idea that any player can be traded. Span is a "pretty good" player who fits in nicely in a sports market that always seems happy with "pretty good". I don't see Span A as the menacing lead off hitter/base stealer on a Championship team or a Gold Glove center fielder. A's a pretty good player with a team friendly contract, he might bring back a valuable championship piece.

#9 Todd G

Todd G

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:12 AM

You don't trade Span for pitching help this year, that's just foolish. This team is going nowhere, and there's no trade that will help us this year. You trade Span for good pitching prospects. We have several OF options coming up and Span has a lot of trade value.

#10 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,467 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:13 AM

If the team is in contention... You don't trade Span. You take the 15 million off season cut from payroll and use it to acquire a player at the trade deadline. If the team is NOT in contention. It will be a bad 2012 which followed a bad 2011. The farm lacks MLB ready Pitching. We need Arms badly. If Span will fetch 1 or 2. Fetch away... I wish Span could be a Twin forever. If he has value and it's time to rebuild. Then rebuild and so be it. Please... Anything but wallowing in mediocrity, for longer than necessary. If this team doesn't get good. Then let's get younger and Bad for a year or two as you Plan for the arrival of Sano.

#11 CharacterGroove

CharacterGroove

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

In the event the club is out of it in July, which is a legitimate possibility, I think trading Span should be a priority. It just makes the most sense. A player with his skillset has a lot of value and we've got an immediate replacement. I say that liking Span and everything he's done for the organization.

#12 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

You scared the fish.

#13 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Today's Fred Rogers Mean Mean Pride

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:31 AM

I don't like hearing trade talk about Span as he is one of my favorite players on this squad, but unfortunately I could see a trade involving him happen at some juncture in the next few years because our glutton of OF prospects and the fact that Hicks and Benson are true CF's. It is not often a team comes across a legitimate leadoff hitter like Span. I hope it does not happen, but it is certainly a possibility.

#14 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

Trading Span for a Hunter Pence like deal makes sense - two top 50 prospects + 2 more young, upside guys. I'd wait to make sure the Twins aren't in contention in June/July and to see how Benson is doing at AAA to make sure we have a CFer. But I really don't think the Twins are that far away from being good again. Hicks is looking good at AA, Michael is showing great plate discipline at Ft Myers, the #2 pick should be pretty good. Dozier should come up soon. Our pitching is thin but we'll have a lot of money to sign one good starter, if we want to, and Gibson will be back next year. Hendriks will have more experience.

Edited by gunnarthor, 22 April 2012 - 10:34 AM.

#15 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

Out of curiosity: Who on this thread would have made the rumored trade from last summer (Span for Drew Storen of Tyler Clippard)?

#16 asmus_ndsu

asmus_ndsu

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:55 AM

Theres not many players i would trade span for... Hes a career .360+ obp with top speed, range and plate disciplin. Hes always been one of the best leadoff men in the game and trading him would be rediculous. Plus he still has a lot of career left, hed way move valuable to this team then prospects

#17 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,298 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

The Twins got to trade their players high. I think that they will risk a lot if they do not trade Span this season and they will get a good return, hopefully a good SP if they trade him. Just too many centerfielders in the organization (Revere/Benson/Hicks/A. Morales) who can contribute this season and next and in 2014 not to do it...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#18 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

the only way I trade span is for a good young starting pitcher. In the example above--if trade with the Nats--not Storen or Clippard--but yes for Strasberg (wont happen) or Jordan Zimmerman (possible).

#19 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,131 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

Insane to trade a top 10 MLB CF for a relief pitcher, insane. The only way is to get a legit, big time starting pitcher prospect, or maybe a legit 2B/3B who will be here and above average for years....
Lighten up Francis....

#20 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,298 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

Insane to trade a top 10 MLB CF for a relief pitcher, insane. The only way is to get a legit, big time starting pitcher prospect, or maybe a legit 2B/3B who will be here and above average for years....

Look what the Pirates got for McClouth a few years ago (not retrospectively): An MLB-ready SP, and 2 of the Braves' top 5 prospects. I'd trade Span for something like this in a heartbeat.

The Twins will do not need a 3B and 2B for years :) They have Sano and Rosario. ERA 1014/5. Need fillgaps until then.
-----

#21 mnfireman

mnfireman

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

Span has a very team friendly contract (which makes him a good trade candidate) but seriously, we only have 2 major league OF's right now (Span & Willingham). Thomas is a serviceable 4th OF and Plouffe fills the utility role Gardy loves so much (even if he doesn't love Plouffe!). Benson and Hicks are each at least a year away, though Benson showed he could play a little last Sept. & ST. Revere could make a very serviceable LF (see Juan Pierre) if he learns to get on base and to use is speed, but under no circumstances is he a starting major league CF or RF. A major league OF and an above average SP would be the minimum return in a Span trade.

#22 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

You won't get nottin for Span!

#23 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

I don't think there's much of a market in April, but in July, if Benson or Revere look reasonably ready, I'd move him for a young dependable starter in a second.

#24 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

I'm not sure why this discussion is getting any traction: - Span is signed to a very team friendly contract ($3M-12, $4.75M-13, $6.5M-14, $9.0M club option-15) - Teams are incredibly reluctant to trade young, cost controlled, starting pitching - When healthy, Span is a top 5-7 leadoff hitter - He is an average CF, and showed to be a GG caliber LF - There is not a strong replacement for him should he leave (Benson and Revere are not today's answer) Just because he is essentially the only trade chip the Twins have does not mean they have to trade him. If they did move him today, the best they could get would be prospects, unproven commodities. While I agree the farm is depleted, they are not going to give away the big league team to restock it. The fan base would go nuts. He won't get moved until the Twins are sure that they have somebody to replace him. Let's shelve this discussion until 2014.

#25 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,298 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

. Let's shelve this discussion until 2014.

At that point he has no trade value :)
And I would argue that he is replaceable this season in an 111 loss team (this is the rate that the Twins are playing) and definitely next.
-----

#26 Land Of 10,000 Beasts

Land Of 10,000 Beasts

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

Terry Ryan is no jumbalone. He won't trade Span unless we get a 19 year old Bert Blyleven in the deal.

#27 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

Terry Ryan is no jumbalone. He won't trade Span unless we get a 19 year old Bert Blyleven in the deal.

I'll circle that!

#28 CharacterGroove

CharacterGroove

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:03 AM

I'm not sure why this discussion is getting any traction:

- Span is signed to a very team friendly contract ($3M-12, $4.75M-13, $6.5M-14, $9.0M club option-15)
- Teams are incredibly reluctant to trade young, cost controlled, starting pitching
- When healthy, Span is a top 5-7 leadoff hitter
- He is an average CF, and showed to be a GG caliber LF
- There is not a strong replacement for him should he leave (Benson and Revere are not today's answer)

Just because he is essentially the only trade chip the Twins have does not mean they have to trade him. If they did move him today, the best they could get would be prospects, unproven commodities. While I agree the farm is depleted, they are not going to give away the big league team to restock it. The fan base would go nuts.

He won't get moved until the Twins are sure that they have somebody to replace him. Let's shelve this discussion until 2014.

I don't think the idea is to "move him today." If he continues to play well and stay healthy, he will have value for teams positioning themselves this summer. Particularly with your points #3 and #4. Of course, it may be that I have more confidence in Ben Revere than you and some others on this thread.

#29 Todd G

Todd G

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:52 AM

Out of curiosity: Who on this thread would have made the rumored trade from last summer (Span for Drew Storen of Tyler Clippard)?

I just don't like the idea of trading a position player for a relief pitcher. It's far too easy to build a relief pitching corps in free agency, there's no real reason to give away a player for one.

#30 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:44 AM

A lot of batting order stuff is overblown, but not when it comes to the leadoff position. Removing Span's OBP from the top of the lineup would be very bad. Until Aaron Hicks is ready, I wouldn't trade Span unless A. It was a package deal with someone else for a top starting pitcher, and B. Someone else could legitimately fill Span's spot at the top of the order.