Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Fister to the Nationals

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:59 PM

No word yet on return, but reported as official on MLBTR.

Understandably soon to evaluate, but this certainly doesn't help the Tigers. Not sure what they could receive to make it better for the 2014 Tigers.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#2 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:02 PM

Wow , wonder who they got back, and if Detroit is planning on adding someone else?(Garza)

#3 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:04 PM

They could slot Smyly into the rotation as the lefty, but then that removes him from the bullpen where he was incredibly valuable in 2013.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#4 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:06 PM

Im guessing they are planning on adding a better starter< as there in there win now Mode.
Maybe a run at Tanaka?

#5 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:27 PM

You would think Fister could net a huge haul but it didn't sound that great. I am slightly puzzled. Plus He is going to make around 7 mil. Is anyone else puzzled or am I over valuing Dougie Doug?

#6 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,264 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:30 PM

What was the return?

And I don't think you're overvaluing him, he's really good.

#7 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

jamshots, blue darters, and humpback singles

• Members
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:34 PM

Yeah I don't understand either, why he's been flipped twice in three years.

#8 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,309 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:35 PM

Steve Lombardozzi, Ian Krol, and Robbie Ray.

Bet some will be flipped for a closer
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#9 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:50 PM

Experts are killing the Tigers for the poor return. Saying Nat's stole Fister and I agree.

#10 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:52 PM

I also agree on the poor return, but I bet the Tigers have another move to be played(Cano or Tanaka)?

#11 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:13 PM

I also agree on the poor return, but I bet the Tigers have another move to be played(Cano or Tanaka)?

I agree, but how does 7 million dollars stop signing Cano?
It has to be another trade or Tanaka,Jimenez,Santana or Garza

#12 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:30 PM

This is a bad, bad, bad trade for the Tigers and I like it. A utility man and two middling prospects for a #3 pitcher is ABSOLUTELY terrible. There is no way the Tigers win this trade. Even if Ray and Krol do well. Zero chance.

#13 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:31 PM

Just got Kinsler, so Cano seems out.

#14 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:47 PM

Man, that's a good deal for Washington.

#15 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,309 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:06 PM

This is a bad, bad, bad trade for the Tigers and I like it. A utility man and two middling prospects for a #3 pitcher is ABSOLUTELY terrible. There is no way the Tigers win this trade. Even if Ray and Krol do well. Zero chance.

Ray is much more than a middling prospect (would probably be in the Twins' top 20, which would make him a Tigger's top 10 prospect) and Krol is not a prospect but a decent set up guy. Cannot see the Tiggers using him as a closer though...
-----

#16 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:14 PM

I do not understand at all. The Tigers still have a great rotation but they should have received something worthwhile back. That's one of the key parts of trading from a strength.

#17 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:28 PM

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica Neue]Robbie Ray is the number 5 prospect according to Baseball America. Here are some thoughts on the guy ([/FONT][/COLOR]http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2014-washington-nationals-top-10-prospects-with-scouting-reports/).
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica Neue]Posted Image[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica Neue]Background: Ray first made a name for himself by flashing mid-90s heat on the high school showcase circuit, but he pitched mostly in the 87-91 mph range over his first three pro seasons. But his velocity jumped in 2013, and his prospect status jumped with it. He ranked as the No. 16 prospect in the high Class A Carolina League, and he more than held his own as a 21-year-old in the Double-A Eastern League following a midseason promotion.
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica Neue]Scouting Report: Truncated by admin staff. Please don't post full scouting reports that are behind a paywall. It's fine to post snippets of text but posting the entire article/bio defeats the purpose of the paywall and we wish to respect our fellow baseball scribes. Thanks. -Brock[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica Neue]
[/FONT][/COLOR]

#18 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,095 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:39 PM

Robbie Ray is very good, so what the hell is everyone talking about? They got two other guys to fill out their roster. I am not sure why this is so bad for Detroit. Ray should be up in 2015 at the latest and in the meantime the Tigers can pursue a pitcher.

#19 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,095 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:40 PM

I would put Ray above Trevor May, easily.

#20 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:42 PM

I would put Ray above Trevor May, easily.

I would trade 5 Trevor Mays for Fister so that isn't saying much.

#21 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,095 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:48 PM

I would trade 5 Trevor Mays for Fister so that isn't saying much.

It was just to give a reference point in terms of the prospect list. I am not sure what the big deal is. This isn't in a vacuum and Ray is good. Not everyone can be traded for elite to great prospects.

#22 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:51 PM

Robbie Ray is very good, so what the hell is everyone talking about? They got two other guys to fill out their roster. I am not sure why this is so bad for Detroit. Ray should be up in 2015 at the latest and in the meantime the Tigers can pursue a pitcher.

Because I would say Doug Fister is much more valuable than say…Denard Span. If Denard Span = Alex Meyer (a top 30 prospect) than Doug Fister should = greater than Alex Meyer. The package Detroit got in return, in my opinion, is much less than Alex Meyer. Robbie Ray is not, IMHO, a very good prospect.

#23 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,095 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:30 PM

Because I would say Doug Fister is much more valuable than say…Denard Span. If Denard Span = Alex Meyer (a top 30 prospect) than Doug Fister should = greater than Alex Meyer. The package Detroit got in return, in my opinion, is much less than Alex Meyer. Robbie Ray is not, IMHO, a very good prospect.

Meyer was a ridiculous return for Span, though. I understand the comparison, but that was a ridiculous trade.

Fister is turning 30, correct? Ray and Krol are 22ish and Lombo is 25. The Tigers might see trading Fister for the future while signing another pitcher to replace Fister for 2014.

#24 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:19 PM

Meyer was a ridiculous return for Span, though. I understand the comparison, but that was a ridiculous trade.

Fister is turning 30, correct? Ray and Krol are 22ish and Lombo is 25. The Tigers might see trading Fister for the future while signing another pitcher to replace Fister for 2014.

Trading a borderline top 100 prospect for a very good #2/3 starter is a steal. If you don't like the Span for Meyer deal then compare this versus the Shields/Davis for Myers/Odorizzi trade or the Dickey for D'Arnaud/Syndergaard trade.

#25 howieramone1406390264

howieramone1406390264

Banned

• Banned
  • 715 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:36 AM

I wonder if this is a salary dump. I know at one time they were close to the luxury cap. Detroit's GM is one of the best traders in baseball and this makes little sense for a win now team. BA discusses the trade. Krol allows them to move another lefty to the rotation.

So Detroit got a solid utility player, a young power lefty as a set up man, and a potential 3-4 starter with a very good second half season in AA.

Edited by howieramone, 03 December 2013 - 01:18 AM.

#26 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:55 AM

If we put stock in BA's report, Ray doesn't throw hard enough or have good enough secondary offerings (an above average change, and an ineffective slurve) to warrant being the primary piece in a deal for Fister.

May throws as hard or harder and has better secondary offerings, like Ray, he struggles with command. Ray had better results over less innings in AA, however. The big strike against May is his age--which some might attribute to his lack of "feel" for pitching.

#27 iastfan112

iastfan112

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:44 AM

As the JJ Hardy trade should illustrate, getting bad value for a player merely because you have a follow up move to replace him is a bad idea.

#28 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:38 AM

Ray screams out as a future failed starter turned decent reliever. And that's the centerpiece for an affordable cost controlled, very good pitcher? Yeah, no spinning that one.

#29 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,309 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:17 AM

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica Neue]Robbie Ray is the number 5 prospect according to Baseball America. Here are some thoughts on the guy ([/FONT][/COLOR]http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2014-washington-nationals-top-10-prospects-with-scouting-reports/).
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica Neue]Posted Image[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica Neue]

DELETED BA PROPRIETARY CONTENT

Research by Aaron Fitt Posted November 6, 2013[/FONT][/COLOR]

This content is behind BA's pay wall. Totally uncool to copy and paste and you can get the guys who are running this site in trouble...
-----

#30 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:26 AM

This content is behind BA's pay wall. Totally uncool to copy and paste and you can get the guys who are running this site in trouble...

Thanks for the heads-up on this, Thrylos. It's not so much that we'd get in trouble, it's that we want to foster a community that encourages people to pay for content they want to read, not be a vessel for them to distribute pay content to others. As a site that earns revenue from original content, it's only fair that we respect other sites and their revenue streams, even if I personally dislike the idea of paywalls.