Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Minnesota Twins Agree To Deal With Ricky Nolasco

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:16 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...n-Ricky-Nolasco

#2 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Y'arrrgh matey!

• Members
  • 721 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:32 PM

Ricky "Don't call me Ricky Bobby" Nolasco is reportedly NOT a cowboy. As a young child his parents bought him a horse, but but Ricky had "No-Lasso" and his dream of being a wild west legend died then and there. The family later sold the horse to a glue factor.y

#3 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

I love this signing more for what it symbolizes than who the pitcher is. Nolasco is fine, no doubt, but the Twins bucking their "we don't build through free agency" trend is much more important to me. I would love to see the Twins land one more good starter. Garza would be ideal, but I'd take Kazmir or Arroyo now that Nolasco is (reportedly) in the fold.

#4 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,518 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

I am shocked! Good start!!!!

#5 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 891 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:44 PM

A good start, still a little worried by the fact he has not pitched in the American league. He at the current time is still the Twins ace, still hope they sign at least one better pitcher.

#6 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,047 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:47 PM

Well that's a nice Thanksgiving gift.

Now I hope that Santa Ryan brings us some Christmas presents, too.

#7 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:50 PM

It looks like the deal doesn't exceed 4 years and $52 million according to Chris Cotillo. What does that realistically leave the Twins capable of doing with other free agents? I think getting Garza would be awesome. I'm just wondering if it is realistic in terms of money.

#8 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,513 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:53 PM

It looks like the deal doesn't exceed 4 years and $52 million according to Chris Cotillo. What does that realistically leave the Twins capable of doing with other free agents? I think getting Garza would be awesome. I'm just wondering if it is realistic in terms of money.

If the Twins are willing to spend 52% of their projected 2014 revenues for player payroll, they have about $65 million to spend on free agents this off-season. Way more than realistic to get 2 more good pitchers and a bat or two.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#9 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,518 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:54 PM

13 yr they would be around 65m. They can do plenty yet!

#10 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 472 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:06 PM

I just love it when the pitcher's calling card is.... "He has posted peripheral numbers..... that suggest he should be better than...." (he is). He should be, but isn't. Good enough for the Twins' high standards, especially with Terry Ryan still making the choices and offers. I guess something is better than nothing, and the same old continues.

#11 Jdosen

Jdosen

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:13 PM

I love this signing more for what it symbolizes than who the pitcher is. Nolasco is fine, no doubt, but the Twins bucking their "we don't build through free agency" trend is much more important to me. I would love to see the Twins land one more good starter. Garza would be ideal, but I'd take Kazmir or Arroyo now that Nolasco is (reportedly) in the fold.

This is a point I made as well. Very pleased to see that the wallet is open, and very hopeful that this isn't the last of it.
I just started the blog Troy Williamson's Hands which is about MN sports and whatever else I want to write--you can find it at http://troywilliamso...s.blogspot.com/
twitter: @dose17

#12 twinsfaninsaudi

twinsfaninsaudi

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:23 PM

Oh Rickey, what a pity
You don't understand
You take me by the heart
When you take me by the hand
Oh Rickey, you're so pretty
Can't you understand
It's guys like you Rickey
Oh what you do Rickey, do Rickey
Don't break my heart Rickey!

#13 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:24 PM

I'd flip for Garza also, but could live with Arroyo or Kazmir, along with adding Salty.

#14 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,025 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:28 PM

I love this signing, especially if, as Cotillo also tweeted, the contract would be less than the contract that Edwin Jackson signed last year (4/52). If they can grab Kazmir, I'll be thrilled and call it a great offseason.

#15 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:39 PM

I love this signing, especially if, as Cotillo also tweeted, the contract would be less than the contract that Edwin Jackson signed last year (4/52). If they can grab Kazmir, I'll be thrilled and call it a great offseason.

Unless it's truly obscene, I don't even care about the annual amount. If' it's a four-year deal, I'm likely satisfied.

#16 Westgaard66

Westgaard66

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:40 PM

Awesome!

now, one more legit pitcher and Salty & would be very pleased with the FO's efforts this offseason.

#17 JP3700

JP3700

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:50 PM

I don't love Nolasco, but I like the signing. I think it was important to get a reliable, league average pitcher for multiple years. I would have preferred Feldman since he would have cost less years and dollars, but they spent more for the track record of durability which I can appreciate.

If they do acquire another pitcher, it should be one with upside on a shorter term deal. Sign a Kazmir or Hughes or trade for an Anderson or Hellickson. I think it's important to see what we have in Deduno (if healthy) and Gibson. Meyer and May should see some big league time as well. They also have to be willing to cut bait on guys like Diamond and Worley, and not hold on to them just because they are out of options.

Re-evaluate the team next off-season and use free agency to continue to complement a young and upcoming team. Plenty of attractive free agents next off-season, no need to go all out in this one when we are so low on the win curve. With money to spend, some improved pitching and the young impact position players coming up, we'll be in good shape to be aggressive in 2015.

#18 MichiganTwins

MichiganTwins

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:53 PM

I just love it when the pitcher's calling card is.... "He has posted peripheral numbers..... that suggest he should be better than...." (he is). He should be, but isn't. Good enough for the Twins' high standards, especially with Terry Ryan still making the choices and offers. I guess something is better than nothing, and the same old continues.

Terry Ryan just spent money.......thats not the same old continuing.

#19 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:54 PM

The hope is that Nolasco's results catch up to his stuff. If Cotillo is correct and this smaller than EJax's 4/52 then I'm okay with this even if I have been not in favor of signing Nolasco. I know that everyone would like Tanaka or Garza but the first will likely sign for well over 2x of this and the second could get close to 2x.

Now if the Twins can get some 2011 Javy Vazquez (a good comparable) season out of him. He does have the ability to put together a really nice season especially if/when the Twins OF defense improves.

The most encouraging thing is that this shows that the Twins aren't just talk this offseason. I would have lost my mind this year if they only shopped in the Capuano/Pelfrey market. Hopefully they aren't done though.

#20 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 797 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

Proud to be a Ryan sympathizer for the first time in awhile #erection

#21 Trevor0333

Trevor0333

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:07 PM

If this could be followed up by a Garza signing or Homer Bailey trade with Salty it would be pretty hard to not call it a very successful off season for TR.

#22 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:47 PM

Details:

4 years at $12 million per
a $13M club option for the 5th with an $1M buyout that vests based on innings pitched the last 2 seasons.

#23 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,179 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:52 PM

Details:

a $13M club option for the 5th with an $1M buyout that vests based on innings pitched the last 2 seasons.

A 4/$48m deal. Nice. Lower than I expected.

#24 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:54 PM

Yeah.
that's what the Royals paid for Vargas practically ;)
-----

#25 Trevor0333

Trevor0333

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:56 PM

That is actually a great deal, much better than I had expected. Very good move TR, now bring us another one like this with Garza.

#26 kirbyelway

kirbyelway

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:59 PM

Details:

Where did you get this?

#27 Trevor0333

Trevor0333

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:00 PM

I like the 2 year vesting option giving a lower buyout over a higher straight buyout option.

#28 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,025 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:16 PM

Yeah, I think in the Handbook, we predicted 4 years and $52 million, so getting him at 4 years and $49 million (with the 5th year option) is a terrific deal, in my opinion.

#29 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,130 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:20 PM

Details:

that seems pretty low considering what Vargas got. That would seem to imply a preferred destination discount ala josh Johnson and Dan Haren. If true that's great, seems too good to be true for a guy on a multi year deal this early.

#30 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:24 PM

that seems pretty low considering what Vargas got. That would seem to imply a preferred destination discount ala josh Johnson and Dan Haren. If true that's great, seems too good to be true for a guy on a multi year deal this early.

the interesting thing is that it is not a preferred destination. Nolasco is a (San Fernando) Valley guy. His preference was to stay home with the Dodgers.
-----