Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Twins Sign Ricky Nolasco?

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#31 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 870 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:49 PM

Oh, I only looked at LA, thanks.

#32 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 721 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:50 PM

Well, after taking a second gander at his numbers last night, I'm happy with Nolasco.

Literally, the only two guys that would rank higher would have been Tanaka (maybe) and Garza. Jimenez and Santana cost the draft pick. Kazmir I'd put at about the same level but with less track record. This is a quality signing.

The Twins have already exceeded my modest early expectations.

Ditto.

I can see Kazmir and Navarro as possibilities still.

Hoping Nolasco isn't any more than 3 years and no more than 39m. And if a 3rd or more that it's a vested option. e.g. 200 IP, ERA under 4.00 type of thing.

#33 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 797 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:51 PM

Without digging into it, why did he only pitch 80 some innings last season? Injury?

He got traded so you might be looking at split stats. He pitched 87 innings for the Dodgers and 112.1 for the Marlins.

#34 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:51 PM

Without digging into it, why did he only pitch 80 some innings last season? Injury?

Nolasco pitched 199.1 innings last year?

#35 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:53 PM

IT'S NOLASCO!

http://www.mlbtrader...l#disqus_thread

#36 Danchat

Danchat

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

And Nolasco it is. I'll say it will be 3 years 50M.

#37 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:56 PM

I am very excited to eat some crow pie tonight! Woo Hoo. I view this as a good start, not a good offseason.

This is our rotation I think:

1:
2: Nolasco
3:
4: Corriea
5: Gibson/Deduno/Meyer/Diamond

It'd be awesome to add Garza and trade for someone like Hellickson.

1. Garza
2. Nolasco
3. Hellickson
4. Correia
5. Gibson

I wonder what the price is for Nolasco, as long as we didn't have to pay a butt load per year, we should have enough chips to get Garza.

#38 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:58 PM

While Nolasco wasn't at the top of my wish list, apparently he was for the Twins, I love the Twins getting a solid arm early. Definitely have to add a few more pieces but this, if accurate, is a great start.

#39 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:00 PM

Good start. Keep at it.

#40 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:03 PM

A good start. Still need more.

#41 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:03 PM

Just an FYI, I'd nearly guarantee it's a 4 year contract with a 5th year option possible. Other teams wanted him, we had to outbid them, giving the extra year is our way to leap the hurdle.

#42 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:05 PM

I am very excited to eat some crow pie tonight! Woo Hoo. I view this as a good start, not a good offseason.

This is our rotation I think:

1:
2: Nolasco
3:
5: Gibson/Deduno/Meyer/Diamond

It'd be awesome to add Garza and trade for someone like Hellickson.

1. Garza
2. Nolasco
3. Hellickson
4. Correia
5. Gibson

I wonder what the price is for Nolasco, as long as we didn't have to pay a butt load per year, we should have enough chips to get Garza.

Here is our rotation as it stands now.

1: Nolasco
2:
3: Deduno
5: Gibson/Meyer/Diamond/ Worely/ Albers/ Johnson and more

with Meyer on the way at the allstar break.

Now we can focus on signing Campuano or Pelfry and a catcher.

Edited by Brandon, 27 November 2013 - 05:10 PM.

#43 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,242 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:10 PM

I like it! So much for all the "TR will never do anything, talk"

I would love to snag one of Bailey, Garza, Kazmir still, however I am very pleased so far, and even if they don't sign another front end guy (and just a backend guy like Arroyo, Pelfrey) along with a bat somewhere I would be pretty damn thrilled.

#44 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:11 PM

Here is our rotation as it stands now.

1: Nolasco
2:
3: Deduno
5: Gibson/Meyer/Diamond/ Worely/ Albers/ Johnson and more

with Meyer on the way at the allstar break.

Now we can focus on signing Campuano or Pelfry and a catcher.

I guess I'm not satisfied with Nolasco being our best pitcher. I'm happy to have him though.

#45 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 7,255 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:15 PM

Not my personal first choice, but it does show they are serious this year about getting better. I guess keeping my hopes up was ok after all.

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#46 S.

S.

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:15 PM

I'm very happy we're making some moves, but hard to say too much until we know the details of the contract. I do worry though that our rotation is going to end up being the same as last year, with Nolasco as the only addition and re signing Pelfrey to a multi year deal. Its a start, but the following rotation isn't exactly impressive if its the end result:

1. Nolasco
2. Correia
3. Pelfrey
4. Deduno
5. Gibson

So, lets go spend some more.

#47 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:16 PM

I like it! So much for all the "TR will never do anything, talk"

I would love to snag one of Bailey, Garza, Kazmir still, however I am very pleased so far, and even if they don't sign another front end guy (and just a backend guy like Arroyo, Pelfrey) along with a bat somewhere I would be pretty damn thrilled.

I'm glad you are happy Dave. I am as well. I won't be that thrilled if we don't sign another front end guy and settle for Arroyo/Pelfrey unless we saved that money to add a legit bat/catcher to go along with a guy like Arroyo.

#48 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:17 PM

I guess I'm not satisfied with Nolasco being our best pitcher. I'm happy to have him though.

I think asking for a pitcher better than Nolasco in one offseason is a pretty tall order.

This team doesn't need to be rebuilt in a day. I'm happy with Nolasco (not my first choice but perfectly acceptable) and a lower tier guy this offseason with the intent of doing it again next offseason.

#49 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,717 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

I'm going to be curious to see what the dollars were. But a good, aggressive start. This is what we didn't get last year, so I'm glad it's finally being addressed.

#50 AHSaves

AHSaves

• Members
  • 23 posts

We should be happy about this signing. I was really feeling that dull Arroyo ache in my stomach. If we could snag Garza, I don't care who else the Twins sign. Garza and Navarro would be a winning offseason for me. I still like Kazmir as well! I'd be cool with Pelfrey if we signed Garza and/or Kazmir. Plus Aledmys Diaz, the Cuban SS is still out there and now we know his age! That'd be some thick icing on the cake.

#51 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,551 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Done deal. Nolasco himself and Plouffe confirm. Details here.

Still need to find the years and AAV. Note: He made $11.5M in 2013, so I expect it to be between $13-15M AAV and either 3+1 or 4+1.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#52 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:25 PM

I honestly don't have to wait for the contract info to like this. Money is not a current issue in this organization. They can afford to pay too much or go a year too long for a guy. In factn they probably have to in order to get any quality pitcher.

Glad to see an aggressive move.
[COLOR=#0000cd]I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at[/COLOR][COLOR=#800000] Knuckleballsblog.com[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd] while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd][COLOR=#800000]MetroSportsReport.com[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd].[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000cd]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#b22222]~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~[/COLOR]

#53 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 797 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:27 PM

One projection has the deal in the range of Edwin Jackson's 4 year $52 million deal according to the mlbtraderumors piece.

#54 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:30 PM

I spent the last hour deciding if I like this signing. I do. I think Nolasco could be peaking right now and I think that he is the type of pitcher who can do well for a lot of years. It seems pretty low-risk as far as starting pitchers go. I wrote a lot more about it if you really want my analysis:

http://smartpitcher....-minnesota.html

There's a chart. It's fun.

"Let's get after it." ~ Someone on the Twins, probably.
Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#55 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:34 PM

My guess is that we overpaid, however, that is what it's going to take to get these guys here. This signing will probably start the dominoes falling on the other pitchers. I'd love to get another arm and Salty. Then see if we can maybe trade. Texas would seem like a good place for Hammer since Murphy and Cruz likely not back for one of their young arms.

#56 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Rochester

• Members
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

Tim Dierkes reports the Twins are close to a major signing. Who the signing is isn't clear. Link to post:

http://www.mlbtrader...nt-signing.html

Good guess on the thread name, by the way..

#57 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

with out looking it up , Me thinks he was just under 200 innings (199.1) with Miami and the dodgers)

#58 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,242 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:37 PM

My guess is that we overpaid, however, that is what it's going to take to get these guys here. This signing will probably start the dominoes falling on the other pitchers. I'd love to get another arm and Salty. Then see if we can maybe trade. Texas would seem like a good place for Hammer since Murphy and Cruz likely not back for one of their young arms.

You aren't going to get much back for Willingham at all at this point.

#59 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:39 PM

Hey Terry , NICE JOB kudos, now that your getting it done, lets keep going and sign Garza, Erick Chavez and Navarro

#60 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:40 PM

Hey Terry , NICE JOB kudos, now that your getting it done, lets keep going and sign Garza, Erick Chavez and Navarro

No im not drinking ...for those who are wondering :th_alc: