Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

The greatest blueprint you will ever see

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:58 PM

Couple things: This is in order to get the Twins to a .500 record in 2014, and to build them into a title contender in 2015, additionally money will be saved for the 2015 FA class as well with this plan (where they have another 16 mil coming off the books with Willingham, Doumit and Correia)

I think currently the Twins have about 55 mil owed this year in payroll, this plan assumes they would go up to 88 million in payroll this year, and then have enough money to sign an ACE or more pitchers in 2015 with about 20-25 mil to spend in the market.

Here. We. Go

1. Sign Salty to a 3 year/30 mil contract- Here is the thing, I like Pinto, but he is very unproven, esp defensively. Salty is a pretty damn good catcher defensively and has shown some nice power the past few years, he is still in his prime and give you some reassurance now that Mauer is the first baseman. IF Pinto proves to be up to snuff defensively and offensively down the road, you could always trade one of him or Salty who projects to be a 2.9 WAR player next year which is certainly worth 10 mil a year on a reasonable contract.

2. Sign Garza- 5 years 80 mil. Of course there is risk, but Garza is a damn fine pitcher and would immediately become the Twins ace (ideally Meyer passes him eventually) 5 years is a long time, but Garza should hold up and won't be insanely old by the end of the contract.

3. Sign Hughes- 3 years 30 mil. If you can get Arroyo for 2 years, I guess you can do that as well. However Hughes seems like a perfect change of scenary type guy, he has good stuff, has a respectable K/BB ratio and unlike Arroyo is still young. I think Hughes could be a very nice #3 for the Twins moving forward.

4. Sign Joba- 2 years 3.5 mil- See above, getting out of Yankee stadium could be great for him, the upside is certainly there and he shouldn't cost a lot. At best he could become your set up guy or closer (if they trade Perkins)

5. Sign Johan Santana- 1 year 1 mil (+ 2 mil in innings incentives)- This is a lighting in a bottle signing.

By signing Salty, the Twins suddenly have nice depth at every position but SS for 2015.

C- Salty, Pinto
1B- Mauer
2B- Dozier, Rosario
SS-???
3B- Sano....Plouffe (meh)
OF- Buxton, Arica and a whole smattering of high upside guys like Hicks, Rosario who could fit in as well. (Also you can always get a big hitting corner OF)

You can then add on another high upside pitcher in the 2015 FA market and fix whatever other holes the team may have.

#2 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:59 PM

If this happened, "ecstatic" wouldn't even begin to cover it for me.

#3 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:15 PM

My math was off, this would put our payroll right around 90 mil I believe. However, still would have 20-30 mil next off-season assuming they would go back to a 100 mil payroll.

#4 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:17 PM

I don't understand the obsession around here to give Hughes a 3 year deal. I rather go a 1 year deal with a team option like Liriano's deal.

#5 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:23 PM

Because 3 years would make sure you get Hughes and it doesn't do anything to hurt your long-term budget. He's a good fit here and potential to breakout.

#6 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:34 PM

Because 3 years would make sure you get Hughes and it doesn't do anything to hurt your long-term budget. He's a good fit here and potential to breakout.

Yup, also he would never agree to a Liriano type deal (hell, Liriano was a fool to agree to it, but only did because of the injury)

I'd even consider going 4 years on Hughes for a lower AAV (see: Vargas)

#7 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:38 PM

Also of note:

Hughes in Yankee stadium: 4.98 ERA in his career.
Hughes on the road: 4.10 ERA in his career.

He is a flyball pitcher, so moving to Minnesota would help.

#8 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,923 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:52 PM

Also of note:

I wonder if Hughes would rather have a one-year deal. Has anyone heard anything about that?

As for the blueprint, it's the same strategy I would advocate - go get some guys you really like for the long term.

#9 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:55 PM

I wonder if Hughes would rather have a one-year deal. Has anyone heard anything about that?

As for the blueprint, it's the same strategy I would advocate - go get some guys you really like for the long term.

Several reports have suggested he would be open to signing a one year deal, might prefer it, to build value.

#10 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:04 PM

With several teams looking at Hughes, including Huston and Miami, it will be telling if he lands in 1 of those 2 places

#11 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:09 PM

In your plan what role does Joba have?
starter, reliever?

#12 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:43 PM

In your plan what role does Joba have?
starter, reliever?

99% chance a RP

#13 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:38 PM

You just wish something like this would actually happen. Adding a good starter (Garza, Ervin or Ubaldo) shouldn't be out of the question. Adding a solid catcher could actually happen. Another starter like Hughes is unfortunately unreasonable for this FO.

But that's not the greatest Twins blueprint ever. Subtract out Hughes and Joba and sign Capuano (2/14) and a legitimately good hitter like Choo (5/90). Completely unreasonable to expect but that gives you a nice lineup with Mauer, Choo, Willy, Dozier and Salty with Sano, Buxton, Rosario, Hicks coming up. And it's a survivable pitching staff - Garza, Capuano, Correia with Meyer and Gibson coming up and enough money to spend next year.

#14 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,863 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:11 PM

I'm on board with this. Not exactly how I'd do it... But I'll get on board.

I love the title of the thread... Go get em... Vodkadave.
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#15 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:17 PM

This is a blueprint I could really get behind.

Well done, sir.

#16 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:02 PM

Great plan, and realistic to boot.

#17 mudcat14

mudcat14

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:11 PM

Don't have any major issues with your blue-print. I would however substitute AJ for Saltalamacchia. Offer him a 1-2 year deal for about the same $7.5/year he made this season, and let him know he is here to mentor Pinto and play about half the time.

As for pitching, Garza & Hughes are my prime targets as well. Both have good stuff and are around the plate, with the potential for anchoring the rotation for a few seasons. Both could be had for total commitment of less than $25M per season and not totally muck up our payroll down the road.

#18 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:27 PM

Don't have any major issues with your blue-print. I would however substitute AJ for Saltalamacchia. Offer him a 1-2 year deal for about the same $7.5/year he made this season, and let him know he is here to mentor Pinto and play about half the time.

I don't mind AJ, but IMO the issue with him is age, he is going to be 37 and if you sign him for 2 years at best he is going to put up his career line, at least with a guy like Salty there is the the potential that he continues to improve.

If AJ would come here on a one year 5 mil dollar deal, sure, thats a fine back up plan.

#19 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:28 PM

Well thought out and practical. I also prefer an investment in players we can see building with, not just getting by with for a year or so. (Arroyo) Like Hughes as second FA SP but lean toward Kazmir, would be OK with AJ at catcher as well. Wouldn't even need Joba, though I'd love to have him. A solid bullpen is already better next season just not getting beat up so badly.

What is also nice is this sound plan is actually do-able.

#20 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:47 PM

That's the most difficult part of this. It could, and should happen.

#21 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:52 PM

Coax DeRosa out of retirement and it sounds like a plan.

#22 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:16 AM

Also of note:

By ERA he is still less than average as a pitcher away from Yankee stadium. Wouldn't that make him an expensive Correia? As far as potential goes, he has 6 years in the majors to show one good season.

#23 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Queen.

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,234 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:14 AM

This. In lieu of the like button
When life gives you lemons, suck on them and persevere.

#24 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:55 AM

Yeah, it's a very good plan, but I'd rather have them add Kazmir instead of Santana at this point. But that is a detail.

The issue is having the Twins cut ties with the likes of Willingham, Doumit, Mastroianni and such, which they will never do.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#25 jay

jay

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:04 AM

Dave for GM.

#26 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:44 AM

Yeah, it's a very good plan, but I'd rather have them add Kazmir instead of Santana at this point. But that is a detail.

The issue is having the Twins cut ties with the likes of Willingham, Doumit, Mastroianni and such, which they will never do.

Willingham and Doumit are both gone after this year, and while Doumit appears to not serve a major purpose at this point, Willingham can still be a nice player for the 2014 Twins, its not like there are 3 superior options for the OF.....yet. Hopefully the Twins can get something of value for Willingham/Doumit at the deadline if both rebound a bit. However, I'm not overly concerned since neither is really blocking anyone. (A case could be made for Doumit/Pinto I suppose)

Mastro is harmless, he is a 4th OF who could easily be replaced by Pressley.

Kazmir would be a much superior option to Santana, however I don't think he would come on a minimal deal like that and I don't think there is any realistic chance the Twins sign 3 "legit" SP this off-season.

Edited by SpiritofVodkaDave, 25 November 2013 - 09:48 AM.

#27 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:56 AM

By ERA he is still less than average as a pitcher away from Yankee stadium. Wouldn't that make him an expensive Correia? As far as potential goes, he has 6 years in the majors to show one good season.

Couple things, 4.10 ERA is quite a bit less than Correias career numbers (many of which where helped in the NL/pitcher friendly parks)

I would argue that Hughes has actually had 3 good (but not great) seasons in 2009, 2010 and 2012. Additionally I think a change of scenery could be perfect for him, before he ever pitched in the big leagues he was already being named the savior of the Yankees rotation, which is a TON of pressure, additionally the Yankees screwed with him a bit by moving him in and out of the rotation when he first came up.

I think by going somewhere like Minnesota, the lack of media/pressure/bright lights could be beneficial to him (see Pavano?) additionally he does have pretty nice stuff and is able to strike a good number of guys out, his main problem has been the long ball, so there is a chance Anderson could help him out on that, and Target field would be beneficial as well. (Especially with a defense that could include Hicks and Buxton) for at least 2 of the 3 years of his contract.

Could he not get better and just stay the same? Sure, its a risk, but unlike a signing like Correia, Arroyo etc there is a good amount of upside if things click.

#28 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,660 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:17 AM

I'm not big on Saltalamacchia as I think his offense is historically way too inconsistant. I'm not against him exactly but three years is a lot for such an questionable non-pitcher.

The timing of how these guys sign might come into play though. Saltalamacchia is getting all the press, and with McCann off the table he might be the next to go. If the Twins signed him, it would leave them with a lot less maneuverability to sign the needed two or three starters.

On the other hand, starters may be more inclined to come to Minnesota if they first signed a well respected signal caller. He currently seems to have that rep anyway, though I suspect that might have more to do with catching veteran pitchers Lester, Buccholz, Lackey, Dempster and Peavy.

#29 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:38 AM

I'm not big on Saltalamacchia as I think his offense is historically way too inconsistant. I'm not against him exactly but three years is a lot for such an questionable non-pitcher.

The timing of how these guys sign might come into play though. Saltalamacchia is getting all the press, and with McCann off the table he might be the next to go. If the Twins signed him, it would leave them with a lot less maneuverability to sign the needed two or three starters.

On the other hand, starters may be more inclined to come to Minnesota if they first signed a well respected signal caller. He currently seems to have that rep anyway, though I suspect that might have more to do with catching veteran pitchers Lester, Buccholz, Lackey, Dempster and Peavy.

he has 3 years of .740, .740 and .804 OPS's. I will take the .740 OPS from a solid defender for 3/30 anyday if it means that Doumit and Fryer rarely appear behind the plate. I like Pinto but he could easily be a huge disappointment.

#30 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:28 AM

Can we please do away with the "Salty...historically...inconsistent?" because it really isn't relevant at all when he has shown consistency in his last 3 seasons (not surprisingly in the least coincides with him entering his prime)

He matured, changed his approach and became a better hitter, it happens a lot and 3 years worth of sample size show this.