Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

MinnCentric Forums

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Prince Fielder traded for Kinsler!!!!

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:31 PM

There could be more players involved, but wow, that came out of nowhere.

#2 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:35 PM

This definitely came out of nowhere. I like the trade a lot for Texas(As the trade stands right now). The ball is going to fly off Fielders bat next summer in Texas. Kinsler has slowly been getting worse with age.

#3 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:43 PM

Kind of a good trade for both teams although it's brilliant for the Rangers. They needed to open up a spot for Profar and they needed a big slugger. They do pick up 8 more expensive years of Fielder though. That won't end well.

The Tigers needed to get MCab back to 1B and they needed a MI'er. Kinsler is on the decline but he's good and he's only owed 4/60. It will be interesting to see if the Tigers use this money to pick up another slugger.

#4 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:43 PM

This definitely came out of nowhere. I like the trade a lot for Texas(As the trade stands right now). The ball is going to fly off Fielders bat next summer in Texas. Kinsler has slowly been getting worse with age.

I agree, I would imagine more is coming Detroit's way on this. Does Detroit have someone to play 3rd? We got to assume that Cabrera will move back to first, correct?

#5 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Whatchamacallit is the Best Candy Bar

• Members
  • 1,852 posts
  • LocationKerguelen Island

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:48 PM

Maybe they will move top prospect Castellanos back to 3B from the OF. His move to the outfield last season was seemingly made to find him a place to play on the big club as far as I know.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

#6 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:56 PM

Maybe they will move top prospect Castellanos back to 3B from the OF. His move to the outfield last season was seemingly made to find him a place to play on the big club as far as I know.

Good insight. I hadn't realized that he was originally a 3rd baseman. Have to remember, there may be more players in this trade.

#7 Dbohnk

Dbohnk

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:57 PM

I'll give it till the end of the week before the Tigers announce a Max Scherzer extension with the money they saved by trading Fielder.

#8 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:05 PM

Bet they sign Nathan, too.
When life gives you lemons, suck on them and persevere.

#9 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 699 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:08 PM

Great trade for Texas. A bit more in salary, but it opens up a spot for Profar. Living in the Dallas area, I can't wait to see him play everyday.

#10 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,178 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:09 PM

Prince is going to age poorly. He was mearly average last year, the only thing he has is durability at this point.

#11 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:14 PM

Wouldn't suprise me if Detroit brought back Peralta to play 3rd as a steadying force for Castellanos and extended Cabrerra beyond 2015 - not to mention extending their starting pitchers as needed. It is definately a good move for both teams.

#12 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:14 PM

Love the trade for Texas. Gives Profar a spot and puts a stop in their hole at 1st. Detroit needs the $$$ to sign Scherzer and Nathan

#13 MileHighTwinsFan

MileHighTwinsFan

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:24 PM

Prince is going to age poorly. He was mearly average last year, the only thing he has is durability at this point.

Totally agree. Big first basemen do not age well in the majors and I think it is possible Prince's best years are behind him. The Tigers just unloaded what was likely to be a long term albatross from around their neck - and the Rangers just committed to pay a high salary for a guy whose value will only decline.

Edited by MileHighTwinsFan, 20 November 2013 - 08:27 PM.

#14 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:38 PM

I wonder if the Rangers are clearing room for Cano rather than Profar.

#15 jm3319

jm3319

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:40 PM

Fun Fact: Joe "People call me nothing but a singles hitter" Mauer outslugged Fielder last year .476 to .457

Granted, it wasn't Fielder's best year by any means, but still.

#16 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

• Members
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:43 PM

I can see how some of the posters think Prince Fielder will age poorly and his contract a knife to the gut of the Rangers on the back end of the said contract. I disagree on the front end.

Fielder will not be 30 until may of next year. I guarantee Fielder hits 40 HR's at least Twice playing in Arlington with strong overall numbers. He along with Beltre will make a formidable 3 and 4 combination and my guess is that Nelson Cruz is brought back into the fold.

I do like the trade for both parties. This will enable the Tigers to have a decent shot at retaining guys like Cabrera and Scherzer. Kinsler's numbers will be okay to pedestrian playing for Detroit.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

#17 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:49 PM

Yikes, a healthy, motivated and pissed off Fielder could have a monster year in TX. I'm glad he is out of the central, but it probably means Detroit will spend big on the starting rotation which is probably a better investment.

#18 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:53 PM

At least in the short term, I like this trade for the Rangers (and thus for the Twins).
1. I think rumors of Fielder's demise are premature.
2. Kinsler's value was based so much on HR and SB, and both have been in serious decline lately.
3. Yeah, the Tigers save some money, but not a ton. Kinsler is only making $8M less than Fielder the next two years, and the Tigers had to throw $30M into the deal, too. Frankly, it's encouraging to see that team, whose payroll was $148M last year, finally show a little fiscal sanity.
4. I assume this means Miguel Cabrera moves to first base, which means they have a hole at third base, and I don't see an easy solution there, unless it's Jhonny Peralta, which would mean yet more money.

Bottom line: Kinsler isn't so much a replacement for Fielder as he is for Peralta statistically and position wise. And they gave up Fielder to get him. I don't mind that.

#19 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

• Members
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:56 PM

I wonder if the Rangers are clearing room for Cano rather than Profar.

That would be interesting if that is what happens. I would imagine a plan like that would have the Rangers flipping Profar or Andrus (more so Andrus) to another club for pitching. The Card's would be a nice matchup for that kind of trade. Shelby Miller and another piece or two maybe???

#20 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:56 PM

At least in the short term, I like this trade for the Rangers (and thus for the Twins).
1. I think rumors of Fielder's demise are premature.
2. Kinsler's value was based so much on HR and SB, and both have been in serious decline lately.
3. Yeah, the Tigers save some money, but not a ton. Kinsler is only making $8M less than Fielder the next two years, and the Tigers had to throw $30M into the deal, too. Frankly, it's encouraging to see that team, whose payroll was $148M last year, finally show a little fiscal sanity.
4. I assume this means Miguel Cabrera moves to first base, which means they have a hole at third base, and I don't see an easy solution there, unless it's Jhonny Peralta, which would mean yet more money.

Bottom line: Kinsler isn't so much a replacement for Fielder as he is for Peralta statistically and position wise. And they gave up Fielder to get him. I don't mind that.

All true...but the Tigers save something like $75m if my math is right, and I bet they turn around and spend all of it.

#21 golfboy1

golfboy1

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:02 PM

I agree. I understand Texas wanting to find a spot for Profar & Fielder might be ok short term but I wouldn't want Fielder for much longer.

Another year of decline & Fielder would have been basically untradeable. Detroit didn't do great...getting Kinsler for 4years @ 92 Million if you factor in the extra money but that's still better than 7 @ 168 Million.

Wow, I'll give Detroit credit for seeing the light & getting out from this deal but it ended up costing them $76 Million Dollars for 2 years of Fielder + they had to take on another contract which isn't that great. That's a lot of pizza!

#22 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:14 PM

Looks like a reasonably fair deal, though I like it better for Detroit. In two years with the Tigers, Fielder has an overall ISO under .200. His offensive trendlines look bad pretty much across the board and he can't play defense.

Throw age into the mix and he was untradeable without a massive subsidy. The Tigers did so directly by covering part of what he is owed and indirectly by taking Kinsler, who is a bit overpaid himself. He is reasonably useful though, and allows the Tigers much-needed payroll flexibility.

I see why Texas traded Kinsler - just not sure why it was for a declining, overpaid DH.

#23 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,480 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:24 PM

Seems like a shortcut doesn't it?

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#24 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:28 PM

I agree, I would imagine more is coming Detroit's way on this. Does Detroit have someone to play 3rd? We got to assume that Cabrera will move back to first, correct?

I honestly really dont think anyone else is involved in this trade. I just think that Detroit realized it loses a lot playing Miggy at 3rd and has Castellanos to play 3rd now. What wouldnt suprise me is if Detroit goes after one of the TOP Outfielders i.e. Choo or Ellsbury which are two guys who can steal and have good OBP % which I think is more dangerous than having Fielder and Miggy batting right next to each other. Although Texas likely will pursue on of the FA OFs as well. The demise of Prince Fielder is greatly over stated. Torii Hunter alluded to the fact that Fielder was having a very hard time going through his divorce and his head just couldnt get into the game last year which is understandable. Fielder will likely flourish in Texas and get back to hitting 35+ homers and 110+ RBIs which is just what Texas needs without possibly Nelson Cruz and especially since Hamilton left.

#25 AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:35 PM

Looks like a reasonably fair deal, though I like it better for Detroit. In two years with the Tigers, Fielder has an overall ISO under .200. His offensive trendlines look bad pretty much across the board and he can't play defense.

Throw age into the mix and he was untradeable without a massive subsidy. The Tigers did so directly by covering part of what he is owed and indirectly by taking Kinsler, who is a bit overpaid himself. He is reasonably useful though, and allows the Tigers much-needed payroll flexibility.

I see why Texas traded Kinsler - just not sure why it was for a declining, overpaid DH.

I can see why they traded Kinsler...he is on the wrong side of 30 and has slowly been decling as well. Why not open up a spot for a young great fielding prospect as Kinslers defensive number have been kinda bad and get a decent fielding 1st baseman or just stick with Mitch Moreland and just keep Fielder at DH. Looks good to me.

#26 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:40 PM

Is it worth pointing out the Tigers sent more cash in this trade than the Twins have ever spent on a free agent?

#27 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:53 AM

Well, the notion that contracts will become more inflated then they had been seems some what mitigated. That any team is eating money in an exchange of players is good sign that prices for contracts shouldn't get too extreme this offseason.

#28 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:49 AM

A great trade for both teams! It puts fans in the seats too.

#29 markos

markos

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:19 AM

Unfortunately, I really like this trade for Detroit. A lot will depend on what they do with the contract savings, but it seems very likely to me that they will be basically the same offensively when it is all said and done, but much much better defensively.

#30 VandyTwinsFan

VandyTwinsFan

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:38 AM

Trade them Plouffe!!! Ahahahaha!