Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Game 14 - Twins @ Rays - 4/20/12

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,571 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

As if the Twins and Rays didn't play enough this spring, the Twins are headed to St. Pete for a three-game series tonight. Twins Lineup: Denard Span CF Jamey Carroll SS Joe Mauer DH Josh Willingham LF Danny Valencia 3B Ryan Doumit C Trevor Plouffe RF Chris Parmelee 1B Alexi Casilla 2B SP: Liam Hendriks

#2 gmarais66

gmarais66

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

I hope it won't be too much longer before the Twins DFA Plouffe... He isn't good at any defensive position and he's never going to be a decent hitter...

#3 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

This will make Mauer's positional breakdown for 14 games (all played) C: 8 1B: 3 DH: 3 That's pretty good usage. Would have been good to start that about 2008 . . .

#4 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

I hope it won't be too much longer before the Twins DFA Plouffe... He isn't good at any defensive position and he's never going to be a decent hitter...

Unlike Hughes, he may have value against left-handed pitching. .734 career OPS against lefties is not great, by any means, but it was .782 last year. That makes him valuable enough in that role.

#5 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,335 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

Unlike Hughes, Plouffe is a former Twins' first round pick (and from when Terry Ryan was the GM). In the past the Twins have shown incredible patience concerning their 1st round picks, esp. the ones who reached the higher levels. At this point of his career Plouffe is about as productive as Cuddyer (another former 1st round pick) was at the equivalent point of his career... So I will be very surprised if something will happen
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#6 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

Justin Morneau is not in Friday's lineup against the Rays after taking a foul tip off his foot in Thursday's game.

While it's a shame to see him out of the lineup the way he's been hitting recently, it's not a major concern and he is available to pinch-hit. Consider him day-to-day.

Source: John Shipley on Twitter

#7 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,571 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

I personally think it's about time Morneau got a day off. I'm not saying he should only play 4 out of 5 or something, but 10-11 or 12-13 or whatever it is, he needs a day. In fact, I think Mauer needs a full day, even not catching or DH.

#8 striker_86

striker_86

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:03 PM

Another good start by Hendricks. Keep it going!!!

#9 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

Between Parmelee's strikout last night, Valencia's first pitch pop up tonight and Casilla's pop fly bunt and double play tonight, I"m a little disgusted by some of these guys abilities to have a quality at bat right now.

#10 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

Casilla's trying to work his way into the doghouse.

#11 asmus_ndsu

asmus_ndsu

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

Casilla's trying to work his way into the doghouse.

I don't think he will ever be officially out of the doghouse if he's working under Gardy no matter how good he can be at times

#12 asmus_ndsu

asmus_ndsu

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

I really like this Hendricks guy, I love how even when behind in the count hell still challenge guys on the outer half and never just gives it up

#13 asmus_ndsu

asmus_ndsu

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

Damn, at let the home run came after the dp.... C'mon guys let's get the bats going

#14 asmus_ndsu

asmus_ndsu

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

Is it just me or is this Gomes guy as annoying to watch pitch as pappelbon

#15 asmus_ndsu

asmus_ndsu

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

Willinghammer!!!!!!!!!!! What a great AB coming from behind and getting a 3 run double

#16 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

Continue to like Burton and Maloney in the bullpen. Added to Capps, Duensing and Perkins, the 'pen could be all right.

#17 asmus_ndsu

asmus_ndsu

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

Damn burton looking pretty good against some really good hitters.... That split finger looks like a 92mph changeup

#18 asmus_ndsu

asmus_ndsu

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

Bah I jynxed it

#19 asmus_ndsu

asmus_ndsu

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:06 PM

Oh god please don't give Capps only 1 run to work with at least it will be against the bottom of the order

#20 asmus_ndsu

asmus_ndsu

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

How miserable of an at bat by Valencia. Something needs to be done with this kid

#21 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

Why not pinch hit Morneau for Valencia? Then sub Burroughs for defense... no brainer IMO.
Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

#22 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

Good win, nice save Capps!
Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

#23 asmus_ndsu

asmus_ndsu

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

Capps looked pretty good tonight he's starting to get some good movement on that splitter

#24 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

Oh, I think the Twins are going to be ok.

#25 asmus_ndsu

asmus_ndsu

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

Terry Ryan is making bill smith look like a real chump right now

#26 one_eyed_jack

one_eyed_jack

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

Gotta give some love to the 'pen. I thought they'd be the downfall of this team, but they've been solid lately. Nice job by Hendriks. A couple of mistakes, but he'll learn. Carroll is doing a nice job as a stopgap as SS, but I've never been sold on Casilla as the answer at 2B, and I'm becoming less sold on Valencia as the answer at 3B with each game. Pavano vs. Shields tomorrow should be a good one. Sure would be nice to see them come home from a winning road trip.

#27 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:52 AM

Hendriks made basically one bad pitch in his first five innings.

Then Casilla doesn't get in front of the damn ball.​

I learned to do that in little league. It doesn't hurt, Alexi.

Hendriks then starts leaving some pitches up, but does his best to minimize the damage caused by Casilla by coaxing a double play ball from Pena to keep it at two runs. He's basically at 100 pitches with one of the best hitters in baseball, Longoria up. Hendriks has been losing some of his command . . . maybe if Anthony Swarzak was a real pitcher and could have gone five innings the night before, the Twins would have made the no-brainer decision there and brought in whatever righty was warming up at the time (Burton?).

And then Casilla's play gets changed to a hit. Good lord.

One has to like how Hendriks looks as a pitcher out there. Great command on the black, even only at 91 mph, is still very good to have. He also seems to care quite a bit.

#28 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:57 AM

Also . . . this was the hope with the acquisition of Carroll and a healthy Span and Mauer. I think the three of them got on base 10 times. If Morneau stays the way he is and with Willingham playing so well, this team can be very good offensively.