Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Matt Garza?!

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 twinsin17

twinsin17

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:41 PM

Matt Garza Open To Returning To Twins
By Steve Adams [November 15 at 2:14pm CST]
Matt Garza is open to a return to the Twins, Darren Wolfson of 1500 ESPN reports. Wolfson offers more on Garza, via Twitter, stating that he hears the Twins are more interested in Garza than Ricky Nolasco, despite earlier reports that the Twins are making a "strong push" for Nolasco.

http://www.mlbtrader...g-to-twins.html

Imagine that! First TR signs Bartlett back and then goes and gets Garza...

#2 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:02 PM

This would be welcome news for sure. A four year 60 million deal would be perfect for him. Heck I'd even add a fifth if we could get Garza over Nolasco. Again, plenty of room to spend some coin and no major impending free agents/arbitration guys for the next handful of years. I like it, hope all this smoke is from a fire and not just a steaming pile of crap.

#3 Smcginnity

Smcginnity

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:30 PM

Go ahead and get excited but this happens EVERY YEAR! It is a classic move by Terry Ryan. He puts the word out there that the Twins are heavily pursuing these high priced, highly sought after Free Agents and then, he says, "oh we tried hard for them but just didn't get them." It's ridiculous.

I think they will sign 1 pitcher and it will most likely be Arroyo, in my opinion. I think they should sign three (Arroyo, Nolasco, and Kazmir/Johan) but I just don't see it happening. There is no way Garza comes here and for it to be even brought up is ridiculous and just another ploy by Terry Ryan.

#4 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:35 PM

Color me skeptical...but intrigued. Hard to imagine anything more unlikely yet at the same time attractive.

#5 Smcginnity

Smcginnity

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

I apologize for being grumpy about this but I hear the same garbage from Terry Ryan every year and I can't believe I was once excited about him coming back. He is a penny pincher and it drives me nuts.

#6 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:45 PM

I apologize for being grumpy about this but I hear the same garbage from Terry Ryan every year and I can't believe I was once excited about him coming back. He is a penny pincher and it drives me nuts.

I don't think anyone can blame you. I'm giving him one more year though. I really do feel like this might be the year they put some coin out there. It really made little sense last year to start spending too much on guys. Now we actually have some prospects getting close to debuting either this or next year or just debuted. It's quite realistic that all of Meyer, Gibson, May, Pinto, Sano, Buxton, Tonkin come up and stay up this year. Last year we were hoping Hicks would be good and that Gibson might be ready at some point. This year we have a lot more guys close to contributing. If all goes well we could be in the wildcard hunt with 2 or 3 good starting pitcher acquisitions. A Garza,Arroyo,Gibson,Correia, Deduno/Worley/Diamond starting 5 wouldn't look so bad especially if you figure Meyer and May are ready to come up by midseason.

#7 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:45 PM

I don't think many Twins fans are getting excited over vague rumors... it will take actually deals to do that.

#8 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:46 PM

I'm a skeptic and a pessimist, but even I'll admit that this is a new level of public disclosure. It could be a masquarade, but we have not seen this before, the Twins have never been linked to top free agents aside from unlikely and unsubstantiated rumors, at least not since Andy McPhail was running things.

This information is coming from sports writers (with sources) and agents. This is totally new territory.

#9 MichiganTwins

MichiganTwins

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:46 PM

We all know the Twins lack of spending, but I think this year is going to different. It has else fans will not be going to the stadium. However, I still dont think we will get Garza, but at least this year we are linked (weakly) to the top pitchers. Its a start but we still need to see results and people signed.

#10 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:47 PM

Almost forgot about Rosario and Hicks. Just lots of solid guys on the cusp where the right veteran acquisitions might make the difference.

#11 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:51 PM

Go ahead and get excited but this happens EVERY YEAR! It is a classic move by Terry Ryan. He puts the word out there that the Twins are heavily pursuing these high priced, highly sought after Free Agents and then, he says, "oh we tried hard for them but just didn't get them." It's ridiculous.

I think they will sign 1 pitcher and it will most likely be Arroyo, in my opinion. I think they should sign three (Arroyo, Nolasco, and Kazmir/Johan) but I just don't see it happening. There is no way Garza comes here and for it to be even brought up is ridiculous and just another ploy by Terry Ryan.

I disagree. Normally the Twins are not this active in their public involvement. Part of the problem last year was not only an utter disaster of results, it was the seemingly pathetic effort. The Twins told us they were active, but no one nation-wide picked up on that.

This year, they are picking up on it. Which tells me, at the very least, we're being significantly more aggressive. That's at least encouraging.

#12 Smcginnity

Smcginnity

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:01 PM

I hope I'm wrong. I just think Terry Ryan has financial priorities way before fan appreciation priorities. It's frustrating. I do think it's strange the number of free agents we are attached to right now but I think it will all be for little in the end. It would be smart to build the pitchers to prep for the youth movement. That means getting a guy that can mentor Trevor May, Kyle Gibson, and Alex Meyer (such as a Josh Johnson or Arroyo type). Or, getting guys that can be ready to compete for a wild card again in 2015 and 2016 - Kazmir, Nolasco, and Garza fit this mold the best.

Either way, I think the Twins need to sign three guys. 1 guy on a 1-year deal (Johan) and 2 guys on 2-3 year deals.

#13 raindog

raindog

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

If the Twins can sign Garza and Arroyo, (I like Arroyo because it would be a 2 or 3 year deal), I'd be ecstatic. The rotation would go from "dumpster fire" to legitimately "good".

I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment though.

#14 howieramone1406390264

howieramone1406390264

Banned

• Banned
  • 715 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:12 PM

I hope I'm wrong. I just think Terry Ryan has financial priorities way before fan appreciation priorities. It's frustrating. I do think it's strange the number of free agents we are attached to right now but I think it will all be for little in the end. It would be smart to build the pitchers to prep for the youth movement. That means getting a guy that can mentor Trevor May, Kyle Gibson, and Alex Meyer (such as a Josh Johnson or Arroyo type). Or, getting guys that can be ready to compete for a wild card again in 2015 and 2016 - Kazmir, Nolasco, and Garza fit this mold the best.

Either way, I think the Twins need to sign three guys. 1 guy on a 1-year deal (Johan) and 2 guys on 2-3 year deals.

Terry Ryan's priority is to avoid a long rebuild and build a team which can contend in the Central for many years. Fan issues necessarily come second.

#15 Smcginnity

Smcginnity

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:14 PM

Terry Ryan's priority is to avoid a long rebuild and build a team which can contend in the Central for many years. Fan issues necessarily come second.

I don't think those are mutually exclusive. They are the same thing.

#16 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

Ryan traded for Barlett, his people drafted Garza. There should be no wonder why Ryan is interested in these players

#17 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:22 PM

https://encrypted-tb...b0bbcKJJaTU3C9g

#18 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:31 PM

The Pohlad's concerns comes before the fan's concerns for Ryan.

#19 howieramone1406390264

howieramone1406390264

Banned

• Banned
  • 715 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:41 PM

I don't think those are mutually exclusive. They are the same thing.

No one said they are mutually exclusive, but they are far from the same thing. We can't even agree on this board with approximately 300 regular posters on how to proceed.

Edited by howieramone, 15 November 2013 - 04:44 PM.

#20 JP3700

JP3700

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

I'd be happy with Garza. I definitely prefer him to Nolasco. However, I wouldn't be upset if we missed on both. I'd much rather they shop in the middle tier: Kazmir, Feldman, Arroyo, Johnson, Hughes. Just much better value there IMO.

If I'm signing a long term contract, I'd rather they hand one out to someone in the 2015 class: Scherzer, Bailey, Lester, Shields, Masterson. That also would fall right into the window where most our top prospects will be contributing.

#21 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:15 PM

I'd be happy with Garza. I definitely prefer him to Nolasco. However, I wouldn't be upset if we missed on both. I'd much rather they shop in the middle tier: Kazmir, Feldman, Arroyo, Johnson, Hughes. Just much better value there IMO.

If I'm signing a long term contract, I'd rather they hand one out to someone in the 2015 class: Scherzer, Bailey, Lester, Shields, Masterson. That also would fall right into the window where most our top prospects will be contributing.

I would agree but it seems like a lot of these guys never actually make it to free agency. I guess i would advocate for not spending so much this year that those guys are off the table for us financially. One long deal with a guy like garza wouldnt limit us from still trying for one of them next year.

#22 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:22 PM

Fan concerns should matter. At some point, if they don't, all that fancy new budget room is going to disappear and that long-term plan will hit some major snags.

The Twins need to show themselves to be aggressive. They can do that without sinking the ship. And, as a bonus, they'll show the fans the same level of investment that they're asking for in return.

#23 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:46 PM

Negotiations for Garza will demonstrate just how serious the Twins are with respect to spending for starting pitching. Garza has many of the really desirable traits the Twins seek in pitching--especially health, age, and skills. No, Garza isn't a Cy Young caliber pitcher--but he is good enough to lead this bunch. If he demands five years--give it!--this is one of the cases where a five year contract (or longer) works to the Twins advantage. Garza is a pitcher whose function isn't to just ad wins in 2014, but to be a mainstay in the rotation providing quality and stability for years to come. Second best in negotiations--might just as well be last, winner takes all.

#24 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:49 PM

Fan concerns should matter. At some point, if they don't, all that fancy new budget room is going to disappear and that long-term plan will hit some major snags.

The Twins need to show themselves to be aggressive. They can do that without sinking the ship. And, as a bonus, they'll show the fans the same level of investment that they're asking for in return.

When the Twins started winning a decade ago there was no jump in attendance like 87-88. That would temper the Pohlads who do not want to lose money. Yes the last few years they have made money, but pre Target they did lose a lot of money.

#25 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:53 PM

Go for it. Just do not think it will happen.

#26 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:03 PM

The only problem with getting Garza is that he's probably getting Anibal money and then some. Anibal was younger and had slightly better numbers but Garza has been successful in Tampa.

I'm okay with throwing a big pile of money at Garza, Tanaka or Ubaldo even though the Twins won't. And there is still plenty of money to sign another pitcher next season if there's one available.

#27 AM.

AM.

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:47 PM

It actually make sense in terms of the Twins modus operandi. Wouldn't cost them a draft pick, and it wouldn't be spending huge free agent money on a stranger. Garza was traded away for (although it pains me to say) the top prospect in baseball. Getting him back in the organization when he becomes a free agent seems very plausible.

Plus, he is the best arm available this winter! Would love to see it. (With JJohnson or Hughes as the second piece...)

#28 JP3700

JP3700

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:14 PM

I would agree but it seems like a lot of these guys never actually make it to free agency. I guess i would advocate for not spending so much this year that those guys are off the table for us financially. One long deal with a guy like garza wouldnt limit us from still trying for one of them next year.

I'd say Scherzer and Bailey are locks to become free agents (Scott Boras factor). Shields and Masterson are likely to become free agents due to the teams they play for. Lester is the most likely to get extended due to his world series performance.

As far as a Garza signing limiting us from going after someone in 2015, I actually think it would. To make the math easy, let's assume Garza would require 5yrs, $85M. $17M along with Mauer's $23M. That's already $40M a year for the next five years on two players. Imagine adding another player around $20M a year. That's $60M a year committed to 3 players over the next 4 years. That doesn't sound like a successful plan to me. I wouldn't mind two big commitments, but three is too much for a mid market team.

Like I said, I wouldn't mind a Garza signing but I just feel this FA class has good value in the middle tier. While next year has some front line pitchers and I'd rather go after one of those guys if I am giving out a long term deal.

#29 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:23 PM

As far as a Garza signing limiting us from going after someone in 2015, I actually think it would. To make the math easy, let's assume Garza would require 5yrs, $85M. $17M along with Mauer's $23M. That's already $40M a year for the next five years on two players. Imagine adding another player around $20M a year. That's $60M a year committed to 3 players over the next 4 years. That doesn't sound like a successful plan to me. I wouldn't mind two big commitments, but three is too much for a mid market team.

I'm not seeing the problem. Even if the Twins signed Garza for that much, and then signed a $20MM player, they would still be far under budget. Who else would be taking up payroll?

Having said that, I don't think Garza will get that much. And if he does I don't think it would be from the Twins.

#30 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,956 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:35 PM

I can't think of an offseason where the Twins have been rumored nationally to be anywhere near this aggressive, especially with bigger names. Ryan isn't afraid to be aggressive early in the free agent period for pieces he thinks he needs - overpaying Jamey Carroll before 2012 comes to mind - but never with players of this caliber and price tag.

Literally just a week ago, I would've said that the chances that the Twins sign any pitcher for more than $10M/year were less than 5%. Now I feel its probable. There are just too many rumors and discussions with some of the better names on this market. I don't know why the change in direction and philosophy, but whatever the reason, I'll take it.