Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Twins Sign Fryer

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:49 PM

According to Mike Berardino, the Twins have signed Eric Fryer to a split contract. He'll make the league minimum with the Twins and if he is in the minor leagues, he will, obviously, make a lot less.

He remains on the 40 man roster.

#2 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:54 PM

Was it Shane that said he would be our opening day starter? I think his odds just increased...

#3 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:58 PM

I just don't see how the FO can see this as a move that is improving the roster. I realize they don't consider this a blockbuster either, but...

#4 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:41 AM

This just blows my mind. It blows my mind. It blows it completely out of this universe. Good god!!!

And are people STILL going to be willing to criticize me for that TR interview in the handbook about TR mentioning Fryer as a positive?

This blows my mind.

#5 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Y'arrrgh matey!

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:45 AM

What does this signing mean for his 40-man roster status? With several roster decisions that need to be made in the coming days (Achter, Kepler, Wimmers, etc) it seems to me that Fryer could be cut from the 40-man and exposed to the rule-5 without much worry to make sure that prospects are covered, room is left for FA signings and a rule-5 pickup for the Twins.

#6 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:44 AM

The minimum is $500,000. Fryer's deal is for $515,000.

#7 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:50 AM

Did it raise from 480,000?

#8 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:17 AM

Does anybody know if this means he is required to be on the 40 man roster? Or can they drop him off and stash him at AAA. I ask bc I am unable to fathom him getting a roster spot

#9 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:35 AM

He is on the 40 man roster now, he can be DFAd ,but risk having him claimed

#10 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:02 AM

Without Mauer catching and Doumit being who he is, this is a no risk move that adds competition to the prospects at catcher. What the heck, why not? As long as we don't end up losing a real prospect in rule V, why not?

#11 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:33 AM

According to the article, he made $500,000 (pro-rated) last year. This is a split-contract, so he'd only make the pro-rated portion of $515k when he is in the majors. It really doesn't change anything from two days ago, besides the timing of this suggesting the team plans to keep him on the roster through the winter. He also has an option remaining, so the likelihood is that he'll be competing with Herrmann for a roster spot, with the loser being the starter in Rochester (subject to change if the team adds a 5th catcher to the 40-man).

#12 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,551 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:33 AM

This is a lot like the Tim Wood contract last off-season. He was handed a 40-man spot too. The Twins can remove him from the roster tomorrow if necessary, they still have this ability plus there are some others (BJ Hermsen) who can move off as well.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#13 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:44 AM

This just blows my mind. It blows my mind. It blows it completely out of this universe. Good god!!!

And are people STILL going to be willing to criticize me for that TR interview in the handbook about TR mentioning Fryer as a positive?

This blows my mind.

Shane, don't bottle it up- share your feelings. We're here to help.:)

#14 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:27 AM

I don't get the angst. Twins move one career .400 OBP catcher to first base, find another, and people complain. Sheesh.

#15 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:50 AM

I am with you Shane. Not sure how the Twins can consider Fryer to be a legitimate option at Catcher. JUST SHOW YOUR COLORS TR. Cut Fryer and start hunting for a catcher in FA, for a real baseball playing catcher.

#16 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:51 AM

TR teaching moment of the day. Remember kids, Fryer has some positives and Pinto had a GOOD, not great month. Tear down the young kid who actually played very well, build up the vet with no skill set.

#17 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:02 AM

The only thing that surprises me is the timing. These types of contracts typically happen right around spring training. All this means is that he'll stay on the 40 man through the Rule 5 draft.

I guess I don't completely get it, but he's not old, and he's terrific behind the plate. We write so much negative about the defense of Pinto and Doumit, yet when they keep a guy like Fryer, it's for the offense.

Overall, this isn't a big deal and doesn't stop them from signing anyone at all, including catchers, though I wouldn't prioritize catchers as a big need.

#18 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:10 AM

Overall, this isn't a big deal and doesn't stop them from signing anyone at all, including catchers, though I wouldn't prioritize catchers as a big need.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the angst has as much to do with free agency roster spots as much as it does the crunch already created with the Rule V threat. I'd hope guys like Vargas, Wimmers and Kepler had priority for 40 man spots. Things are getting tight again, but as mentioned, cuts can still be made.

#19 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:12 AM

He isn't going to get selected in the Rule 5 Draft...Absolutely no reason to do this move right now, as you stated, timing is odd. The only thing this moves says to me is, were fine with our current catching options.

#20 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:13 AM

I can't see Kepler being selected in the Rule 5 either, not sure how someone could keep him on the roster all year long, same with Wimmers. Although, Wimmers is more likely to get selected in my eyes.

#21 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:19 AM

Terry Ryan got Solimon for Buetera last year so maybe plus defensive catchers have more value than we think. Having one good defensive catcher is not a bad thing.

It looks like the Twins have 36 guys on the 40 man roster and can easily cut Colabello, Parmelee, Hermsen etc if they need room. So I don't think there's much to worry about. I suspect it's much more likely that we add someone in the rule v draft than lose someone.

#22 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:20 AM

He isn't going to get selected in the Rule 5 Draft...Absolutely no reason to do this move right now, as you stated, timing is odd. The only thing this moves says to me is, were fine with our current catching options.

Actually, I think it says the opposite. He's the only plus defender we have and I suspect Ryan would like to upgrade that but wanted at least one good defender back there.

#23 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:22 AM

This kind of thing honestly makes me kinda hope for a loss of somebody in the rule 5. As a kind of punishment for dumb roster moves. Clearly middle relievers are pretty replaceable, but I would like to see players who have come up through the system get a chance. Losing a Dakota Watts isn't that big of a deal, but if such a thing happens it is because of Eric Fryer.

This should come as no surprise given that, I believe, Fryer was the first "positive" mentioned in that interview in the handbook. Am I wrong about that? Wasn't he actually the first person named by Terry Ryan? They are not adding another catcher, I can almost guarantee you that.

#24 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:25 AM

An excellent defender at catcher is a luxury item for teams that can score runs and are willing to sacrifice offense for defense because they can. We don't have the "luxury" of that problem. We need a catcher that is going to produce a bit. I'd take a year of AJ, to let Pinto tinker with his defense for a portion of this season and then take over.

Is this board going to be okay heading into the season with our catchers in Minneapolis being Fryer, Pinto and Doumit? I'd be very opposed to that. I'd much rather go AJ/Doumit/Herrmann. - Pinto for Herrmann at midpoint or when defense is plausible. AJ could be worth something at the deadline as well.

#25 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:28 AM

Part of me hopes what you said Shane, the other part hopes that Fryer quits baseball to become a janitor at his hometown school district.

#26 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:29 AM

This is strange...shades of Drew Butera. What it means that if the Twins do waive him from the 40-man, and another team claims him, they are responsible for the contract he signed with the Twins, which the team probably wouldn't want to take on. That keeps him from being claimed as a Rule 5, too. In that way, it is good. Keeping him on the 40-man is bad.
Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#27 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:31 AM

Please stop, Fryer will not be selected in the Rule 5.

#28 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:35 AM

An excellent defender at catcher is a luxury item for teams that can score runs and are willing to sacrifice offense for defense because they can. We don't have the "luxury" of that problem. We need a catcher that is going to produce a bit. I'd take a year of AJ, to let Pinto tinker with his defense for a portion of this season and then take over.

Is this board going to be okay heading into the season with our catchers in Minneapolis being Fryer, Pinto and Doumit? I'd be very opposed to that. I'd much rather go AJ/Doumit/Herrmann. - Pinto for Herrmann at midpoint or when defense is plausible. AJ could be worth something at the deadline as well.

Actually, a good defensive catcher might help our young pitchers. Someone posted an article here a month or so ago that showed that Gibson was one of the most robbed pitchers in baseball on strike calls. The theory being that Mauer was too big to let the umps see the bottom of the zone (where sinker guys throw) and Doumit couldn't frame worth crud.

And Fryer is a better offensive catcher than Herrmann.

#29 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:45 AM

I would bet cash money that Herrmann would have a better offensive year than Eric Fryer.

And Fryer certainly would not even have been remotely considered by any other team in the rule 5 draft.

#30 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:46 AM

So because Mauer was big it only hurt Gibson's pitches? That doesn't make sense to me, this would mean that Mauer hurts ALL of our pitchers. That problem is gone, Mauer is no longer a catcher. By that notion, all of our pitcher's stats should go up and that is just not true. If that's the case, get a smaller catcher, all of the ones I have listed are that.

Which young pitchers are you talking about?
We only have 8 pitchers on the 40-man that are under the age of 28 and of those 8, I only give Gibson, Ibarra, May, Pressley, Tonkin and Thielbar a chance of being successful. If you want Fryer helping our young pitchers, send him down to AA. He isn't going to get selected in the Rule 5, we will have that option.