Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: Free Agent Profile: Scott Kazmir

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,292 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:02 AM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...le-Scott-Kazmir

#2 howieramone1406390264

howieramone1406390264

Banned

• Banned
  • 715 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:21 AM

This is the lefty I would go for.

#3 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,037 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:53 AM

2 years and $25 million? Clearly, I would do that, but I am just pointing out that these predictions that are so low are silly. Kazmir and Hughes will sign for similar money though thee years might be different.

#4 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:33 AM

I'd sign Kazmir for an annual average value of $10mil or less, maybe even look at adding a 3rd-year team option. The Twins need more guys in the rotation that can miss bats. Kevin Correia looks great in a rotation when he is a 4 or 5, but certainly leaves a lot to be desired when he's your #1.

#5 zchrz

zchrz

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:34 AM

Hmm I was under the impression Kazmir was de railed more to injury than just losing it. I think he would be a good gamble on an overpay to get him here. Certainly could use a lefty and certainly could use a strikeout pitcher, even if he bombs 2 or 3 years isn't going to hurt things much.

#6 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:16 AM

If the Twins get Arroyo then Kazmir is a perfect compliment to him as you go from soft tossing righty to strikeout lefty to Dedunno to soft tossing righty Corriea to ? I figure the Twins will either go for him or Maholm even though Maholm is also a soft tosser.

#7 markos

markos

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:47 AM

I think that Kazmir would be a poor fit for a lot of reasons, but my primary reason is that I don't think he will be able to match last year's performance next season. When considering Kazmir, keep in mind that he faced one of the easiest schedules in all of baseball last season, with 19 of his 29 starts against teams with below-average offenses: Twins (5), Royals (5), Astros (2), Mariners (2), Phillies, Mets, White Sox, Marlins, and Yankees. Almost all of these teams had below-average home run rates as well, yet Kazmir still gave up an above-average rate of homers. And if you take out the 5 starts against the Twins from last year, Kazmir's HR/9 rate increases by 11% to 1.20, which would make his HR/9 worse than Kevin Correia's.

Another reason is that Kazmir has a fairly substantial platoon split, with RH batters' OPS of .794 last year. This is not a great fit for Target Field, which is much better at suppressing LH batters.

#8 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:02 AM

The Twins should go after Kazmir very hard with a multi year offer. He is turning 30. His fastball is back to 2007 levels, which makes me think that the time off was crucial in healing and he is ok health-wise right now. Plus, the Twins do not have any top of the rotation lefty starter prospects above the Rookie leagues. They need a lefty in the rotation. And I'd rather not see Diamond pitch again...

As far as this is concerned:

His WHIP was a little high, at 1.32

Totall BABIP-driven, since his BABIP was .326. Normalize his WHIP for league average BABIP and you got 1.19. Not bad. Opportunity to buy low
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#9 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:06 AM

I don't have the link but mlbtraderumors.com has the Twins signing Kazmir on their top 50 projections. they were right about 40% of the time last year so this will be fun to watch play out.

#10 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:02 AM

Signing Kazmir has been one of my top wants even before the season ended. In fact, he was one of the pitchers available "on a flyer" I wanted the Twins to sign last off season and still surprised they didn't.

With all due respect to talent and opinion, and while I'll be excited and hopeful about any additions the Twins make/sign to improve, I have difficulty laying out $12M plus for some of this years FAP options and some of their accompanying caveats.

Kazmir at 2 and $8+, even up to $10M makes sense to me. I'd be willing for some sort of 3rd year option as well. Past trak record, age, re-discovery of self and being LHP all make this a smart sign.

Now, Hughes at $8-10 or Johnson for similar plus some bonus gives us the best 1-2 punch we've had in some time without breaking the bank or tying up huge payroll for long terms. And there is still money left over for C help and hopefully a useful LHP hitting spare INF.

Lastly, a million (maybe 2) and a little incentive bonus for Johan or Colby Lewis for this years possible surprise turn around would finish things off nicely.

Kazmir is the start for me.

#11 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,660 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:18 AM

I'll bet Kazmir gets more than anyone is predicting. But it should be from the Twins. An overpay on a two year gamble will not hurt this team in the long run. Nor in the short run, really.

#12 jmlease1

jmlease1

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:23 AM

I would like both Kazmir & Hughes, both on 2-3 year deals. They should get between $8-10M each and I think the Twins should be willing to pay it. The questions are, will either be looking for a 4 year deal and should the Twins go that long on them, and will demand create a market where they can command contracts in the $10-12M range? Much tougher questions.

I think I would be willing to go as high as $11-12M on Kazmir on a 2 year deal. (less on Hughes, even though I think he'd be a great fit for the Twins) It's probably too much risk to go that high on a 3 or 4 year deal, considering his history.

I have to say, I'd feel a lot better about the Twins next season if their rotation was Kazmir, Gibson, Hughes, Correia, and Diamond/Deduno/Worley. Sure, there's no "ace" in that group (especially since "ace" seems to now be defined as "guy who is listed as someone who can win the Cy Young before the season starts") but it is a crew that could throw a lot of innings, miss more bats that previous years, and keep the team in games.

I hope the Twins can sell themselves to Kazmir. Despite the bad last few years, there are a bunch of things to like about coming here: Target Field (both as an awesome ballpark and a good place to pitch), a stable franchise, a lot of young hitting talent in the pipeline, and Joe Mauer. Hopefully, this is where Gardy's rep as a player's manager helps sell a guy on coming here.

#13 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:52 AM

2 years for Kazmir.
4 years for Hughes.

#14 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:56 AM

I having been hoping they sign Kazmir. There are many other pitchers not to take a chance on, he is worth it. Might go even a little over $10 million a year if only 2 years are guaranteed. Would like a third year club option, but might not be doable.

#15 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:10 AM

The Twins should go after Kazmir very hard with a multi year offer. He is turning 30. His fastball is back to 2007 levels, which makes me think that the time off was crucial in healing and he is ok health-wise right now. Plus, the Twins do not have any top of the rotation lefty starter prospects above the Rookie leagues. They need a lefty in the rotation. And I'd rather not see Diamond pitch again...

As far as this is concerned:

Totall BABIP-driven, since his BABIP was .326. Normalize his WHIP for league average BABIP and you got 1.19. Not bad. Opportunity to buy low

Since he is a southpaw I would give Kazmir a 2 year (up to 25mill) deal. I wouldn't give him a 3rd year (2016) since by then the cavalry should be arriving.

Kazmir scares me with his WHIP which is high--yes it is driven by BABIP--but remember its the Twins defense we are talking about--until Hicks and Buxton get here--with the possible exception of Florimon--nobody is average or better on defense--our pitchers will be having high BABIP against them.

#16 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:33 AM

Kazmir makes sense on many levels.

#17 Siehbiscuit

Siehbiscuit

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:38 AM

I'll bet Kazmir gets more than anyone is predicting. But it should be from the Twins. An overpay on a two year gamble will not hurt this team in the long run. Nor in the short run, really.

This is right on! Overpay by a million or two annually to insure that he comes to the Twins. If he can show that he now has learned how to pitch and stay healthy, its a steal. Worst case, the Twins took a risky gamble and he fails miserably. At least its a short term deal that will not handcuff the organization.

And for those that want Hughes vs Kazmir, why? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so I don't mean to sound rude. Just don't understand this train opf thought. Kazmir has at least proven it as a starter before. Hughes is also an elite prospect, but has never produced great numbers as a starter. He seems like a bigger gamble, unless its also a 1 or 2 year deal. I'm interested to hear why the Hughes-lovers prefer him to Kazmir.

#18 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:56 AM

and for those that want Hughes vs Kazmir, why? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so I don't mean to sound rude. Just don't understand this train opf thought. Kazmir has at least proven it as a starter before. Hughes is also an elite prospect, but has never produced great numbers as a starter. He seems like a bigger gamble, unless its also a 1 or 2 year deal. I'm interested to hear why the Hughes-lovers prefer him to Kazmir.

I can't say I prefer Hughes over Kazmir necessarily but maybe a little insight. Hughes has been healthy at least over the past few years with around 30 starts in 3 of last 4 years. His ERA is close to a full run less away from Yankee Stadium. He's given up almost double the homers in Yankee Stadium than away in close to the same innings over his career. It's been stated before but his fly ball tendencies might play really nice in Target Field. Especially if we've got an outfield of Buxton/Hicks/Rosario/Arcia by the end of 2014.

His ERA was also driven up last year due to a high BABIP. He might be a really nice buy low option for the Twins due to these factors.

I say go get 'em both on 2-3 year deals. Both should be affordable enough and wouldn't hamstring the organization.

#19 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,037 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:09 AM

The Lincecum deal is informative. I really, really doubt that Kazmir is going for less than $10 million a year.

#20 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:06 PM

I would be absolutely thrilled if the twins would sign this guy and Tanaka. That would make this offseason a huge success. ..in my opinion. If they dont sign Kazmir they are counting on Albers and Diamond. That wont cut it.

#21 twinstalker

twinstalker

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

Check out his stats versus teams other than the Twins. They're not good, as the Twins were 20% of his starts.

#22 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

I would prefer Josh Johnson, but Kazmir is a second choice as long as it is not more than a 2 year contract.

#23 TopGunn#22

TopGunn#22

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:50 PM

It's true, Kazmir dominated the Twins last year. But I still want him. He's a good fit, and yes, whoever gets him him will have to pay at least 10-mil per year, maybe as much as 12-mil for 2 or 3 years. Tanaka should be the #1 target, but the bidding for him may get ridiculous. Kazmir, Hughes and someone like Johan, J. Johnson or Colby Lewis as the third signing. I don't mind 3 year deals. You can never have too much pitching, we could spin guys off to contenders at the deadline year by year, and guys get hurt.
Kazmir---3 years 36 million (don't get outbid,
Hughes---3 years 25 million
Johan et al---1 year 7 million
This changes somewhat if we make a trade for someone like "Shark" Bailey, Anderson, etc...
Bottom line...we need pitching and have some money to spend. Get at it.

#24 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:34 PM

Check out his stats versus teams other than the Twins. They're not good, as the Twins were 20% of his starts.

A good point I was wondering what his stats were if you removed the Twins from his record...That being said 2+1 [email protected] with a million buy out ,and an option year at 12