Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Twins expressed interest in free-agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Reider

Reider

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:56 PM

http://www.1500espn....lamacchia111113

#2 Trevor0333

Trevor0333

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

Why invest 12-15 mill in a catcher when Pinto has shown obvious signs of being ready to take over.

With the extreme need for SP all available $ needs to be used there for craps sakes.

#3 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,956 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:41 PM

Also from this story....

A separate source said to also keep an eye on free-agent A.J. Pierzynski's situation, that he'd be a good one-year stop-gap option until Josmil Pinto is ready to take over as the main option.

I would think if the Twins signed another catcher, it would be limited to a one-year deal, and Saltalamachia is going to get a multi-year deal. But I'm OK with the Twins not wanting Pinto to get more AB before they trust him too much. He only had 75 plate appearances in both AAA and the majors.

#4 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:49 PM

Maybe a catcher for 1 or 2 years, but Twins have more pressing problems and I would rather the money be spent there(starting pitching)

#5 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:49 PM

Why invest 12-15 mill in a catcher when Pinto has shown obvious signs of being ready to take over.

With the extreme need for SP all available $ needs to be used there for craps sakes.

I think you're a bit overstating how much we should rely on roughly a month's worth of MLB at-bats by Pinto.

#6 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,291 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:00 PM

The Twins have about 60-70 million to spend this off-season, if you follow the promised 52% of revenue. This will be enough for 3 pitchers and a couple of position players. Just glad that Butera is gone, because he would start next season.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#7 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:02 PM

The Twins aren't going to win in 2014 and Pinto will be 25. Just let him play and see what happens.

#8 Trevor0333

Trevor0333

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:03 PM

I think you're a bit overstating how much we should rely on roughly a month's worth of MLB at-bats by Pinto.

I'm sorry but the Twins are NOT contending next year, even if he struggles at the plate a little it will be good experience to build on for 2015 as well as building familiarity with the pitchers on the roster.

Also Hermann can platoon against some of the RHP as well.

#9 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:11 PM

I'm sorry but the Twins are NOT contending next year, even if he struggles at the plate a little it will be good experience to build on for 2015 as well as building familiarity with the pitchers on the roster.

Also Hermann can platoon against some of the RHP as well.

Give him a shot? Sure, but that isn't how I read your claim that he was "obviously" ready to "take over". That seemed....strong.

#10 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:29 PM

It is critical that the Twins add a catcher that can defend. Ideally it would be a starter.

There are doubts that Pinto can handle the job defensively. Doumit caught far too many games this year. He will catch more next year.

if the Twins go into next season and find out Pinto is a significant defensive liability, where will they turn? Even a defense only catcher like Butera costs a premium during the seasons

Look at it from a free agent pitchers point of view. A pitcher like Hughes or Johnson are going to look to build their value towards the next contract. They need to put themselves in a good situation. Any agent is going to make them aware of the significant decrease in K/BB ratios with Doumit catching. They will be aware of the the pitch framing data. Ryan has publicized the concerns about Pinto's defense. Why sign into that situation and damage your future value?

Catcher needs to be an early priority this winter.

#11 mudcat14

mudcat14

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:31 PM

Personally, I'd be fine with a platoon of Pinto & Hermann behind the plate next season. If one or both totally bomb, I have no doubt that they could scramble and come up with some AAAA defensive whiz to finish out 2014 and address the issue next winter. I'd MUCH rather see the Twins target their spending on starting pitching and one semi-impact bat play one of about five other positions. With Mauer at 1B, Arcia at one of the OF or DH spots & Dozier at 2B, an upgrade could be found for anywhere else.

#12 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:32 PM

Saltalamacchia would be a very nice signing assuming the price is right. He is good defensively and provides a nice amount of "pop" behind the dish.

If Pinto proves to be an effective major league catcher (Bat-Sure, Defense...meh, lets see) then you have what they call a "good" problem. Also, has the Drew Butera era not shown us the value in having multiple solid options behind the dish?

AJ wouldn't be a bad stop gap, but if you go that route then Pinto basically needs to become an everyday catcher, otherwise moving Mauer does nothing except open up a huge whole.

The Twins have plenty of payroll and Salty is still on the right side of 30, give him a 3 year deal and if Pinto pushes him out of a job you can always find a trade partner.

#13 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:37 PM

Personally, I'd be fine with a platoon of Pinto & Hermann behind the plate next season. If one or both totally bomb, I have no doubt that they could scramble and come up with some AAAA defensive whiz to finish out 2014 and address the issue next winter. I'd MUCH rather see the Twins target their spending on starting pitching and one semi-impact bat play one of about five other positions. With Mauer at 1B, Arcia at one of the OF or DH spots & Dozier at 2B, an upgrade could be found for anywhere else.

I'm not sure where else you want this impact bat:
SS- There really aren't any.
3B- Isn't Sano going to be manning 3B by June? What impact bat will sign a one year deal?
OF- Hicks and Buxton will be up soon, so again, who do you sign? Willingham already takes take of the one year stop gap "power bat"

The Twins frankly aren't going to sign more then 3 pitchers absolute max total, and at the very least one would be a bargin bin signing (if not two)

You can have enough money to sign a couple decent contracts on pitchers, as well as Salty and another OF if you need. I like Pinto, but there is prob a reason he DH'ed so much in the minors, I really don't see what anyone sees in Herrmann that makes them think he is anything more then a backup.

#14 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

jamshots, blue darters, and humpback singles

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:07 PM

If the Twins really want a stop gap veteran catcher for a year, what's wrong with Doumit?

#15 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:13 PM

If the Twins really want a stop gap veteran catcher for a year, what's wrong with Doumit?

Well other then the whole "catching and throwing" part of being a catcher he wouldn't be bad :)

#16 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:05 AM

Money spent for a catcher = money wasted. It's not like Pinto has to bat .300, he simply has to hit as well as Plouffe and be "OK" at catcher. The need is pitchi put all of the free-agent money there. Signing multiple barrel scraping is worse than one or two of the best pitchers that can be had by the Twins. Catcher? Pinto, Hermann, Doumit and whoever is at Rochester are more than enough options. The need to is to challenge the next wave to see if they belong, not spend aimlessly on some washed-up veteran who would be replaced anyway. Play Pinto.

#17 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:13 AM

Unless the Twins get McCann or Salty, there is no reason whatsoever to throw money at a catcher. A.J. is not a serious contender. Good lord.

#18 Otwins

Otwins

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:33 AM

The best money we could spend to help the pitching staff is a good defensive catcher. Pinto looked far below average defensively. Watch St. Louis. They get a lot of credit for having so many good young pitchers. I think it helps them tremendously to pitch to Molina. The twins need Gibson and Meyer to be pitching well in the majors next year to have a chance to put together a decent starting rotation. Signing a good defensive catcher in my opinion is more important than signing a starting pitcher.

Edited by Otwins, 12 November 2013 - 12:38 AM.

#19 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:42 AM

A good defensive catcher is not more valuable than an above average to good starting pitcher. Not even close. Again, Herrmann and Pinto average out to an average defensive catcher.

#20 howieramone1406390264

howieramone1406390264

Banned

• Banned
  • 715 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:50 AM

It makes no sense not to bring in a veteran catcher to split the job at least 50/50 with Pinto. All kinds of catchers are out there, for all kinds of prices. A two year deal until Turner is ready will work just fine.

Also, Turner has been wrongly labeled as a Butera clone since he is outstanding defensively. At .372 he was the #1 hitter for a team which has made the NCAA playoffs 11 of the past 13 years and #4 in the SEC. Teams that didn't like his hit tool didn't draft him, a team that did, did as per usual. The Twins were linked to every top catcher in the draft. Turner fit their draft board.

#21 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:51 AM

Turner is three years away and it isn't clear that he is going to be good anyway.

Pinto and Herrmann can get the job done in 2014. All money should be thrown towards starting pitching.

#22 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:17 AM

The Twins could sign Molina as he is available. That would put to rest the debate what difference pitch framing makes in a game.

#23 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,103 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:42 AM

I don't agree, Shane. There is plenty of money to sign a catcher or DH or OF if they want, on top of two starting pitchers.
Lighten up Francis....

#24 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:35 AM

I don't agree, Shane. There is plenty of money to sign a catcher or DH or OF if they want, on top of two starting pitchers.

Exactly, they could sign Salty, two legit SP (and one lottery ticket-Johan) and still have enough left for a DH/OF type (5-6 mil)

Also, if Pinto is as good as people claim he is, there will still be plenty of at bats for him.

#25 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,703 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:44 AM

I can understand getting a veteran catcher, but I'd rather have a $13 million pitcher and a $5 million dollar catcher than a $13 million catcher and a $5 million pitcher.

Saltalamacchia is OK defensively, but really, the team who buys him is buying off of a career year. A year which happens to look very similar to Ryan Doumit 2012. I'm not paying +$8 million for that.

#26 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,103 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:00 AM

I'm down with that Nick. Heck, I'd be good with 2 $13MM pitchers, and a $2MM catcher.....
Lighten up Francis....

#27 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,703 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:40 AM

I'm down with that Nick. Heck, I'd be good with 2 $13MM pitchers, and a $2MM catcher.....

Yes, if hypothetically the Twins plan on signing three pitchers and a catcher, I'd prefer the pay to look like this, assuming the salary requested is based on expectation of performance:

Pitcher 1 = $$$$
Pitcher 2 = $$$
Pitcher 3 = $$
Catcher = $

Pitcher 3 and the catcher can swap spots if the pitcher 3 is aa low risk/high reward lotto ticket type.

Edited by nicksaviking, 12 November 2013 - 10:45 AM.

#28 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:03 AM

What if we went with Ramon Hernandez? He is a vet that can mentor Pinto for about 2-2.5 million. Last year he made 3.2 million but I don't see him making that again at 38. You can sign him to a 1 year deal and than let Herrmann and Pinto take over after that. He isn't a guy that will demand 4 starts a week so the Twins can still get Pinto and Herrmann plenty of games at catcher (assuming the Twins will want both on the MLB roster). He is also a guy that, if Pinto is playing acceptable, you can release or trade for a D prospect or just cut. He has hit for average in the past with some pop and has thrown out would be base stealers at a 30% clip. He would merely be a bridge to Pinto/Herrmann, he doesn't have to be great and he could just go away when Pinto is ready. There is no reason to sign someone who will block a promising prospect on a team with 3 straight 90+ lose seasons. What do you think?

#29 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:22 AM

If A.J. was willing to be a backup at this point (and he ought to be), I'd absolutely sign him on a 1 or 1+option deal to back up Pinto and bat primarily against tough right-handers.

#30 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

jamshots, blue darters, and humpback singles

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:04 PM

Turner is three years away and it isn't clear that he is going to be good anyway.

Pinto and Herrmann can get the job done in 2014. All money should be thrown towards starting pitching.

Bueller?

I'd like to see Herrmann and Pinto slug it out (maybe not the right metaphor) compete and Doumit would be just fine to catch for a free agent pitcher, if that's what the Twins think they need.

Pinto will not be a career .340 and Herrmann's average will lift and Herrmann 's D measures up favorably against Pinto's. Herrmann did call those Albers shutouts. Herrmann, Pinto, Doumit are the catchers on this team.