Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Fangraphs article on Alex Meyer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 B Richard

B Richard

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:28 PM

Eno Sarris of Fangraphs posted a quick blurb regarding Alex Meyer. Sarris talks about Meyer's off speed stuff and improved control, projecting him to be a quite important part of the Twins' future. Video is included from one of Meyer's AFL starts.

Link: Alex Meyer Progresses, Impresses in Arizona | FanGraphs Fantasy Baseball
[SIZE=2]Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
Better get while the gettin's good
Catch a ride to the end of the highway
Where the neons turn to wood[/SIZE]

#2 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:03 PM

Thanks for the link.

#3 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:12 PM

That's pretty good stuff. I wonder how a strong AFL will affect preseason prospect rankings. His stuff and improved control could boost him pretty damn high. With the need for an ace to compete in the playoffs, he might be the most important prospect the Twins have.

Interesting note on the one flaw Sarris discussed. He has a very short leg stride. Does anyone know if this came over with him from the Nationals orgainzation, or is this something the Twins have groomed into him? I'm no expert in pitching mechanics, but I could see how it may improve control for a tall guy with a smaller margin of error when it comes to limiting extra movements.

But I would like to find out if a short stride is intentionally systematic because most of the Twins starters seem to have a short stride, in fact I just recently complained about this with Felix Jorge. It does limit velocity and obviously the lack of velocit and strikeouts is one mystery many Twins fans have been trying to solve for quite awhile now.

#4 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:03 PM

That's pretty good stuff. I wonder how a strong AFL will affect preseason prospect rankings. His stuff and improved control could boost him pretty damn high. With the need for an ace to compete in the playoffs, he might be the most important prospect the Twins have.

Interesting note on the one flaw Sarris discussed. He has a very short leg stride. Does anyone know if this came over with him from the Nationals orgainzation, or is this something the Twins have groomed into him? I'm no expert in pitching mechanics, but I could see how it may improve control for a tall guy with a smaller margin of error when it comes to limiting extra movements.

But I would like to find out if a short stride is intentionally systematic because most of the Twins starters seem to have a short stride, in fact I just recently complained about this with Felix Jorge. It does limit velocity and obviously the lack of velocit and strikeouts is one mystery many Twins fans have been trying to solve for quite awhile now.

Honestly not sure. I've never heard of it before although I think Radke and Blackburn had pretty short strides (but Johan didn't and I think Gibson has a pretty big stride now). Maybe throw that one to the "ask Jack" thread?

#5 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 682 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:07 PM

Wow. That is a super short stride! Like the previous poster, I don't know much about stride length.

Found this on Tim Lincecum, hope it's helpful.

How Tiny Tim Became a Pitching Giant

Would love to hear from anyone who finds or knows of any 'best practices' of pitching mechanics.

Edited by twinsfan34, 04 November 2013 - 04:36 PM.

#6 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 682 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:11 PM

If you do nothing at all, just scroll to the bottom to see the stride length/deliveries of Nolan Ryan and Tim Lincecum.