Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Johan Santana: Free Agent

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,321 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:03 PM

[COLOR=#565555][FONT=Open Sans]The Mets decided to pay Johan Santana $5.5 million to not pitch for them in 2014 rather than pay him like $25 million. Santana is a free agent for the first time in his career. Here is the statement he released tonight.

Johan Santana's full statement
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#565555][FONT=Open Sans]I want to thank the Mets organization, my teammates and of course give a big thank you to the Mets fans, who have been behind me from day one and stood by me through all the good and bad.
I am not sure what the future holds, as this is all new to me, but I have every intention of pitching in 2014 and beyond and I am certainly keeping all my options open.
BELIEVE IT![/FONT][/COLOR]

#2 Marta Shearing

Marta Shearing

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:16 PM

Santana probably burned bridges in 2007 when he was publicly angry when they traded Castillo. I dont think ryan will consider him.

#3 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:22 PM

This will be interesting. He was actually ok when he pitched last season (8.5 K/9, 2.85 K/BB, 1.333 WHIP and he pitched 117 innings.) Injured. Those numbers would have put him on the top of the Twins' rotation.

I think that he will sign an one year plus a vesting option contract some place and that contract would be crazy incentive-filled. Like $3-5M base, $12-15M in incentives.

Would the Twins pull the trigger, would he want to return?

He might want to play for a contender, but he would definitely put rear ends on Target Field seats (will actually generate more $ than his contract) and will be better than Diamond and Albers added together...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#4 Reider

Reider

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:35 PM

I'm open to making Johan an offer, but much like offering Baker a contract, I'd like the Twins to sign two good healthy / young FA pitchers and perhaps look at a Baker / Johan (other similar types) etc.. as a possible add on / bonus. I won't be impressed if TR plays penny pincher again and only goes after the Pelfrey/Baker/Johan types without signing a couple of healthy mid to high end pitchers first. The Twins need some good young work horses.

#5 Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:34 PM

if he pitches close to last year-- he'd be our ace. I would be all for his return. A wounded Johan is better than our best pitcher now.

#6 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,493 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:24 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he's having the same surgery he had done last year, and that typical surgery doesn't have a high success rate as it is. I think he's done. I'd be fine with an incentive laden deal, but there's a good chance he never puts on a major league uniform next season, so I'm guessing he's signing a minor league contract.