Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Free Agent Pitcher Profile: Josh Johnson

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:14 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...le-Josh-Johnson

#2 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:33 AM

I would take a flyer (like Pelfrey) on him. One year 8 or 9 million. Max 2 year 15 million. Maybe he could be a stop gap till the young guys (Berrios, Stewart, Gonsalves) are ready.

#3 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:47 AM

Certainly worth the effort to sign him. He has big upside and the only downside is money which will go in Pohlads pocket if not spent. If he has a big year either trade him at the deadline or a QO next winter.
True or not I read his brother lives in the cities.

#4 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:05 AM

I'd like to see the Twins offer a Pelfrey-ish contract. Obviously more money, but incentives that could earn him up to $12, 13, 14m. If he's right - and reaches those incentives - you turn around and make him a QO.

(Wow. I typed out my comment and noticed I hadn't submitted it... lots of similar thinkers late in the morning.)

#5 Smcginnity

Smcginnity

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:36 AM

I would be all for us giving a Pelfrey contract to Josh Johnson, Johan Santana and Tim Hudson. All risky but mine as well :)

#6 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:19 AM

I'd give him a Correia contract.

(Pelfrey was already taken)

#7 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:39 AM

Basically, any one-year deal would be fine for Johnson, and probably Hughes too. That's all they will be looking for this offseason, and with that short of a term, the dollars really don't matter.

Still would be nice to get a longer-term guy for the rotation too -- maybe Johnson or Hughes if they have success could be extended reasonably, or we could splurge on an Ervin Santana type.

#8 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:23 PM

Johnson for one year, and Hughes for three. Pay what the market will bear, Pohlads.

#9 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,712 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:59 PM

It will take more than a Pelfrey contract. He is not returning from a Tommy John surgery.

Hate to say it (because the price will be high), but his play in 2013 was not reflected by his 2-8 record and 6.20 ERA, but by his 3.58 xFIP. Add his more than 1 K/IP to his 93 mph average fastball, to his under 30 age and you got a guy who you (or someone) will want to sign for a 3-4 year contract.

And I think that a 3/40 or 4/50 might be what it will take, including incentives. Look at what Lincicum got, and Johnson has fewer questions...

#10 TRex

TRex

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:07 PM

Can you make a Qualifying Offer if you only give a 1 year contract? IIRC, you didn't get compensation under the old rules unless the player was on a multi-year deal.

#11 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:17 PM

I am not very high on Johnson due to his injury history. I would be happy that the Twins signed him if they also sign one or two other pitchers. If he is the only signing, I would be pretty disappointed.

#12 Rick Niedermann

Rick Niedermann

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:42 PM

My concern is that Terry Ryan will wait till the market establishes itself and he will cringe and pull back on aggressively pursuing anyone in free agency other then the scrap bin variety. I hope he jumps out of the gate after a Johnson, either Santana, Vargas or Hughes. Hughes I would be willing to go multiple years. He seems like a good fit for Target Field.

#13 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:57 PM

I hope he jumps out of the gate after a Johnson, either Santana, Vargas or Hughes..

Vargas does not belong in this list. He would be a tremendous mistake. Nick Blackburn 2.0. But he is a groundball pitcher with a 87 mph FB who pitches to contact, which is what the Twins' like.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#14 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:58 PM

And I think that a 3/40 or 4/50 might be what it will take, including incentives. Look at what Lincicum got, and Johnson has fewer questions...

Ah... no. Lincecum has made 32+ starts for six straight years and pitched ~200 innings this season. Johnson has made 32+ starts once in his career and is coming off a season that was shortened by arm problems and ended in elbow surgery.

#15 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:43 PM

Ah... no. Lincecum has made 32+ starts for six straight years and pitched ~200 innings this season. Johnson has made 32+ starts once in his career and is coming off a season that was shortened by arm problems and ended in elbow surgery.

Looks like his camp will be asking close to Lincecum numbers... I am pretty confident that he will get it.

Interesting comments from Radcliff in that link, which make me think that these guys (Twins FO scouts) do not know the difference between "horrible" and "good" and they go by W-L and ERA. Unless they think that every single Twins SP was "horrible", since Johnson's 3.58 xFIP dwarfs all of the Twins' SP numbers, and his k/9 is almost double to the best Twins' SP.

Edited by Thrylos, 01 November 2013 - 07:47 PM.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#16 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:34 PM

I highly doubt Johnson gets 7M. That's 1.5M more than Correia with cash flush in the league.

I'm guessing it's more akin to what Dan Haren got from Washington.

#17 Trevor0333

Trevor0333

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:26 PM

Really interesting tidbit from Radcliff about Johnson

Twins VP of player personnel Mike Radcliff threw some cold water on the possibility of a move on Johnson, Berardino further reports. Radcliff said that Johnson is coming off of a "horrible" year and "if he wants $10 million, we're not going to be involved with that

To which I would agree whole heartedly!

#18 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:41 PM

Here's the problem: Ryan will wait to see what the market bares and hope against hope that he will get a deal once the dust settles. Problem is, like last year, other teams will establish the market by signing the decent SP, leaving the Twinks with rejects, the scrap-pile and has beens. To get these guys, the Twins can't sit back and react. They have to be aggressive and spend right out of the gate.

#19 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:36 PM

Johnson would be worthwhile even on a 1 year contract. If you gamble and lose it happens and if you win, you can flip him at the deadline for some very good prospects. He then would not bog down payroll in the succeeding years.

#20 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,218 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:04 AM

Johnson isn't going to get anything close to 10M (unless it's purely incentives). After a disappointing season and forearm pain, he's a Tommy John candidate waiting to happen. I'm guessing he gets less than Pelfrey. I'm fine going after him on a 1 year deal, but I'm guessing he's not getting more than 3 to 4M, and even that makes me cringe as I suspect he's on the 60 day DL by May.