Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Hope?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 MichiganTwins

MichiganTwins

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:18 PM

I was wondering where people thought Sano, Buxton, Meyer, Rosario, and other top prospects will start next season.

My hope is Buxton AA. And AAA for the other three, but I may just be being hopeful. What do you all think?

#2 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:43 PM

Sano will be at AAA. I think Rosario too since the Twins have kept him and Sano close together for the last several years. I'm hoping Meyer starts the year in the majors but he'll probably start at AAA. Buxton starts at AA.

I think it's possible that the Twins keep both Sano and Rosario at AA b/c they've been willing to promote without going to AAA so it won't mean much if they aren't there but I think that's where they'll go.

#3 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:44 PM

I was wondering where people thought Sano, Buxton, Meyer, Rosario, and other top prospects will start next season.

My hope is Buxton AA. And AAA for the other three, but I may just be being hopeful. What do you all think?

Buxton - AA
Sano - AAA
Rosario - AAA
Meyer - AAA
Pinto - Probably AAA unless Ryan can somehow unload Doumit
May - AAA
Stewart, Thorpe, and Gonsalves A-

That's my 2 cents. I could see Rosario and Sano starting in AA given that neither of them really hit to their full potential there, but from what I understand, the jump is pretty minimal to AAA, so since they both did OK there, they could start out in Rochester.

That said, Rochester fans should have a lot to look forward to for the next few years. They are going to have some talented teams.

#4 twinsin17

twinsin17

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:31 PM

I would like to see Buxton, Sano and Rosario all start at AA for a few reasons. Outside of the obvious convenience factor of checking box scores and reading game recaps I'd like to think getting these guys some time to gel in the locker room in the minors would help when they move up to the majors. Buxton has nothing else to prove in A+ while both Sano and Rosario would be well served with more AA experience to help adjust to higher level pitching. We saw both contact rates and plate discipline deteriorate after their promos last year. As for Meyer if he has a good spring I agree he should have a shot a breaking camp in the bigs. A Stewart/Thorpe/Gonsalves rotation in Cedar Rapids would make for a killer three game road trip and is one thing I really hope happens.

I am interested to see where the Twins assign their 1B prospects in Kepler, Hicks and Vargas next spring. Kepler has held his own in the AFL against some of the best prospects in the minors and it is doubtful going back to A- would benefit him. Hicks hit very well in A ball but his power regressed some after moving up, although he did increase his on base percentage. Vargas seems certain for a promo to AA. Does this mean Kepler splits 1B/DH with Hicks at Ft Myers while picking up spot starts in the OF? Maybe I am wrong but I think there is value in a player knowing day in and day out what his position is. Here's hoping if he does turn in to a split position player he has a better future at it than Parmelee and Colabello.

On a side note, VERY disappointing first couple innings for the Cardinals tonight...let's hope they can turn this thing around! Scary stat: 9 out of the 10 last game 1 winners won the series. With all the bragging sox fans do they can wait another 83 years for a title for all I care!

#5 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:03 PM

I would like to see Buxton, Sano and Rosario all start at AA for a few reasons. Outside of the obvious convenience factor of checking box scores and reading game recaps I'd like to think getting these guys some time to gel in the locker room in the minors would help when they move up to the majors. Buxton has nothing else to prove in A+ while both Sano and Rosario would be well served with more AA experience to help adjust to higher level pitching. We saw both contact rates and plate discipline deteriorate after their promos last year. As for Meyer if he has a good spring I agree he should have a shot a breaking camp in the bigs. A Stewart/Thorpe/Gonsalves rotation in Cedar Rapids would make for a killer three game road trip and is one thing I really hope happens.

I am interested to see where the Twins assign their 1B prospects in Kepler, Hicks and Vargas next spring. Kepler has held his own in the AFL against some of the best prospects in the minors and it is doubtful going back to A- would benefit him. Hicks hit very well in A ball but his power regressed some after moving up, although he did increase his on base percentage. Vargas seems certain for a promo to AA. Does this mean Kepler splits 1B/DH with Hicks at Ft Myers while picking up spot starts in the OF? Maybe I am wrong but I think there is value in a player knowing day in and day out what his position is. Here's hoping if he does turn in to a split position player he has a better future at it than Parmelee and Colabello.

On a side note, VERY disappointing first couple innings for the Cardinals tonight...let's hope they can turn this thing around! Scary stat: 9 out of the 10 last game 1 winners won the series. With all the bragging sox fans do they can wait another 83 years for a title for all I care!

Maybe I'm the lost one, but are we talking about Max Kepler? He is considered a 'toolsy' outfielder, I believe. Generally those guys stick as outfielders. I do believe if I remember seeing reports correctly, he would grade as a below average CF, but an above average corner outfielder in the bigs. Maybe you meant Hicks/Vargas at 1B/DH though.

#6 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,231 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:41 AM

I see no good reason for Sano and Rosario to be in AA. Few, if any, prospects are perfect at a level before moving up. No one in AAA is better than them, and they were plenty good at AA. I think Buxton should be at AA, but if he spent 1 month at Ft. Meyers it wouldn't crush me. Meyer s/b in AAA, if he's not, it is a bad sign about him helping at all in 2014, imo. May, no idea where he ends up. I think they'll move him to AAA because he's already been in AA for two years, and it's time to move on up.
Lighten up Francis....

#7 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:21 AM

Maybe I'm the lost one, but are we talking about Max Kepler? He is considered a 'toolsy' outfielder, I believe. Generally those guys stick as outfielders. I do believe if I remember seeing reports correctly, he would grade as a below average CF, but an above average corner outfielder in the bigs. Maybe you meant Hicks/Vargas at 1B/DH though.

FWIW, Kepler is playing 1B in the AFL right now, and he did play 24 games there at Cedar Rapids this year (vs. only 30 in the OF).

Not sure how much of that is due to injury or crowded outfields, though.

#8 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:23 AM

I would like to see Buxton, Sano and Rosario all start at AA for a few reasons. Outside of the obvious convenience factor of checking box scores and reading game recaps

I'd like to hear the Twins front office say that!

Maybe just assign them all to Cedar Rapids so they're closer to Minneapolis too. :)

#9 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 838 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:49 AM

Would hope to see Sano, Rosario, Meyer and May at AAA. See no reason for keeping them at AA. Buxton will probably start at New Britian. Most of the young pitchers should be at Cedar Rapids and I hope most of the relievers will move to New Britian. Should be interesting, but will leave a crowed Rochester Rotation and some of the bodies that started for the Twins this year might be released or outrighted and not resigned,

#10 Siehbiscuit

Siehbiscuit

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:52 AM

I think the Twins will keep him in the outfield as long as possible, but like his versatility at 1B. Kepler will be given a shot at AA, due to his good AFL performance, but likely he will start in Fort Myers (that is unless he is unprotected and picked up in the Rule 5 draft).

Buxton - AA (will work through AA and be a Sept. call up)
Sano, Rosario - AAA (It would SHOCK me to see Sano make the team out of ST Not because of his talent, but he is 20 years old and the Twins will want to push off FA as long as possible).

Meyer and May - AAA (Meyer is ready, May has to be promoted after two decent seasons at AA).

Hicks - A+
Vargas - AA

Edited by Siehbiscuit, 24 October 2013 - 08:55 AM.

#11 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:03 AM

Kepler will be given a shot at AA, due to his good AFL performance

Still a very small sample, but Kepler has cooled a bit in the AFL. .594 OPS, league OPS looks to be around .715.

But I think the fact that he is in the AFL suggests he could start in AA next year.

#12 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:25 AM

Kepler didn't excel in Cedar Rapids, he's not skipping Fort Meyers... and he'll be a CF as long as he can play decent defense there.

#13 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:08 AM

Silly me: I was thinking he finished in high-A last year.

Yeah, unless he starts tearing it up in the AFL, he's headed for Ft. Myers to begin next year, at best.

#14 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:14 AM

Kepler will be added to the 40-man so they have to get that ball rolling. He will start in Fort Myers.

#15 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:25 PM

Reality Check: Buxton has not played above high A and currently is being over matched (.229/.280/.409 - SSS) at the AFL that is good AA level competition. Let's see how he will fare there and then we can talk about possible promotion in September. I think that he will spend the majority of the season in New Britain.

Sano/Rosario/Meyer/May will all likely start in Rochester, unless for some reason they win a spot on the MLB roster in ST; and potential trades will affect that possibility.

At least one of Pinto and Herrmann (depending on whether Doumit is with the team and what kind of ST they have) will make the Twins. The other will be in AAA.

The top 2013 draftees will likely be in Beloit. Berrios might be an interesting case, but I think he will be in Fort Myers.

Of course, the Twins can sign about 8-10 MiLB FAs and this whole thing might snowball down...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#16 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:30 PM

Of course, the Twins can sign about 8-10 MiLB FAs and this whole thing might snowball down...

You KNOW that this is going to happen, man. It always does and it always infuriates. Fill-in roster nonsense again and again and again.

#17 MichiganTwins

MichiganTwins

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

Reality Check: Buxton has not played above high A and currently is being over matched (.229/.280/.409 - SSS) at the AFL that is good AA level competition. Let's see how he will fare there and then we can talk about possible promotion in September. I think that he will spend the majority of the season in New Britain.

Sano/Rosario/Meyer/May will all likely start in Rochester, unless for some reason they win a spot on the MLB roster in ST; and potential trades will affect that possibility.

At least one of Pinto and Herrmann (depending on whether Doumit is with the team and what kind of ST they have) will make the Twins. The other will be in AAA.

The top 2013 draftees will likely be in Beloit. Berrios might be an interesting case, but I think he will be in Fort Myers.

Reality check: Beloit is no longer affiliated with the Twins.

#18 UCLA_YANKEE_COLA

UCLA_YANKEE_COLA

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:46 PM

Reality check : scouting the stat line of the AFL is absolutely, positively pointless. Yes, I noticed you called out SSS but you still cited the stats as if they mean ANYTHING. Which they don't. At all.

#19 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

[COLOR=#333333]Reality Check: Buxton has not played above high A and currently is being over matched (.229/.280/.409 - SSS) at the AFL that is good AA level competition. Let's see how he will fare there and then we can talk about possible promotion in September. I think that he will spend the majority of the season in New Britain.[/COLOR]

Rebuttals: He's injured. He's tired after his first full season. Small sample size. Moving up a level (even from A+ to AFL) takes a little bit of adaptation.

I think that whether they decide A+ or AA is the way to go with him, it won't be more than half a season before he's moved up again, and he probably gets a September call up either way if he plays in 2014 like he did this year.

#20 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:51 PM

Reality check : scouting the stat line of the AFL is absolutely, positively pointless. Yes, I noticed you called out SSS but you still cited the stats as if they mean ANYTHING. Which they don't. At all.

Also, Buxton is the third youngest position player in the AFL and is coming off his first pro season. The kid has a future.

#21 MichiganTwins

MichiganTwins

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

I forgot to add when do you think I will make it to the majors. Do you see me more as a AAAA player or big league regular? I am working hard in the offseason to get to the show, but its tough.