Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins add Paul Molitor to the major league staff!

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#21 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,800 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:31 AM

I like it!

Any truth to the rumors that he and Gardy don't always see eye to eye?

No two people see eye to eye all the time, but they will work together well. I think they're fairly close and certainly respect each other.

#22 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

A starter, please.

• Members
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:32 AM

I don't think hiring Molitor is bad business. I like the move.
Doesn't mean I don't see value in having a Latin American coach as well.

I suspect a team is allowed to hire as many coaches as they want, but I believe there is a limit on how many can be in the dugout during a game.

Does anyone have info on this?

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#23 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,800 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:32 AM

Do they need to make room for Molitor or can they simply add him to the coaches already on the staff?

Can simply add him.

#24 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,800 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:33 AM

At the end of spring training last year, MLB said teams could add one on-field coach. So, they can't add an infinite amount, but they were one short.

#25 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,800 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

Vavra, no. He was a pretty decent hitting coach.

Vavra's good. He is the most "new school" coach they have. He's the one that really gets the advanced stats and made most use of video and such.

#26 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,088 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:49 AM

I give this move two huge thumbs up. Excellent news.

#27 stringer bell

stringer bell

WAR? What is it good for?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,964 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:50 AM

Manager in Waiting?

#28 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,775 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:02 AM

Vavra's good. He is the most "new school" coach they have. He's the one that really gets the advanced stats and made most use of video and such.

Yep. I don't get the Vavra-bashing. The Twins were a solid offensive team during his tenure, barring 2011 when they were crushed by injuries.

#29 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:10 AM

Bobby Cuellar is of Mexican descent and speaks Spanish. I agree that Latino coaches are underrepresented when compared to Latino players but the Twins aren't completely ignoring it.

#30 BabyJesusBuxton

BabyJesusBuxton

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

Barring a playoff appearance in 2015 I think Molitor is in position to be the next Twins manager. He is familiar with all the prospects in the minors because of his role as a roving instructor which will only help once they make it to the majors. I think such a move will be inevitable unless Gardy can get the team back into the playoffs before the end of his extension.

#31 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• Twins Mods
  • 10,539 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:26 AM

Twins new manager 2015?....2014?

I agree the Twins need more Latino coaches but does that have to mean you pass on a guy like Molitor? Seems kind of silly to me, he brings instant credibility for the players.

I can see the them adding a Latino coach next off-season, there is likely to be some vacancies, perhaps even one this off-season in the lower levels.

Edited by twinsnorth49, 22 October 2013 - 11:30 AM.

#32 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,239 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:32 AM

Or you could view it as "they added a Hall of Fame player who is one of the smartest hitters of the last generation and is widely respected throughout the league"..

HOF player with a rival team and a PED user.
(yes, cocaine is a PED.)

And a guy who magically became fit to be in the coaching staff this season while he was not (according to Ryan) last season.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#33 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,239 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:33 AM

Bobby Cuellar is of Mexican descent and speaks Spanish. I agree that Latino coaches are underrepresented when compared to Latino players but the Twins aren't completely ignoring it.

Bobby Cuellar is sitting in the bullpen during the games, so the only effect he can have is during practices, during ST and for the bullpen...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#34 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,800 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:38 AM

I still hope that Jake Mauer is the next Twins manager, and I believe that he would be the right choice.

#35 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• Twins Mods
  • 10,539 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:40 AM

HOF player with a rival team and a PED user.
(yes, cocaine is a PED.)

And a guy who magically became fit to be in the coaching staff this season while he was not (according to Ryan) last season.

Nice to see you taking the high road for a change. I'm sure all that cocaine Molly did in the late '70's is what stamped his ticket to the Hall.

#36 SweetOne69

SweetOne69

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:40 AM

I doubt it. Molitor wanted to be the manager when Ryan hired Gardy but other than that I don't think there's any bad blood between the two. As mentioned, he's been a pretty consistent presence at ST every year.

As I understand it, Molitor DIDN"T want to be manager at that time. The job was his if he wanted it, he didn't, so the hired Gardy.

#37 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• Twins Mods
  • 10,539 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

As I understand it, Molitor DIDN"T want to be manager at that time. The job was his if he wanted it, he didn't, so the hired Gardy.

That was my understanding as well.

#38 CwK

CwK

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:02 PM

Rosetta Stone.
Problems solved.

#39 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:03 PM

What is the true story of Molitor and cocaine usage and is it still relevant?

#40 CwK

CwK

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

A player representative for much of his career, Molitor was at the center of several well-publicized contract negotiations. He won a battle with cocaine abuse during the injury-ravaged early part of his career, overcame the negative publicity that surrounded his mention in the trial of a prominent drug dealer, and delivered persuasive anti-substance-abuse messages to young people later in his career. Popular in both Milwaukee and Minnesota, Molitor remained close to baseball after his active career ended in 1998.

Source: SABR.org