Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Anthony John "A. J." Pierzynski

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 luckylager

luckylager

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:43 AM

I was just sitting here thinking... AJ might add an element that this team is sorely missing. He surely would give some grit and vocal leadership to the team. Platoon with Pinto and allow Mauer to spend most of his time at 1st. Might be worth throwing some $$ at for a one year deal. Am I nuts?

#2 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:34 PM

Doesn't really fit. He's a lefty so he can't really platoon w/Mauer. Doesn't hit enough to be a 1B/DH. Also probably would rather play on a contending team than a rebuilding one.

#3 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Ancient Member

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

To answer the second question first, yes luckylager, you may very well be nuts.

As to signing AJ -
1. Pinto looked promising, but it is just too early to say whether he can platoon with AJ or if that would be a good thing. AJ's splits for 2013 show he did not hit RH and LH pitchers very differently.
2. We have had no update on Mauer's health. If Mauer is healthy he will probably be catching next year (hopefully without that titanium mask).
3. AJ says what he thinks. If he and Gardy have a significant difference of opinion it probably won't stay hidden. I don't think Gardy would like that.

I guess I don't see this happening.
As far as putting a little fire in the clubhouse, I like your thinking.

I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

#4 Marta Shearing

Marta Shearing

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:16 PM

Well he's exactly what this team needs. He embodies toughness and a winner's mentality. This team has neither. I would be ecstatic having AJ and Pinto split the catching duties 50/50.

#5 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:31 PM

He's not what this team needs. He's a catcher whose defense is terrible and bat doesn't exactly play anywhere else. We have 2 catchers as it is. We need pitchers.

#6 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:36 PM

People realize that AJ isn't really a good player anymore, right? He had a sub .300 on base percentage while playing for Texas. I like AJ, I think he'll be a great manager and hope it's with us. But as a player? I hope Mauer stays behind the plate.

#7 Roaddog

Roaddog

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:27 PM

No thanks. Another vet clogging the roster and taking at bats away from the kids.

#8 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:21 PM

When AJ joined the White Sox in '05 I remember telling the guys I worked with (Sox fans) that he would be the difference maker, the 'spark' that will put them over the top. What a prediction that was. Anyway, that said, despite the 'energy' and 'fight' he could bring, he's not what we need as far as baseball goes. Pass.

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.

#9 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:40 PM

Why would A.J. sign here?