Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Deduno

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Marta Shearing

Marta Shearing

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:13 PM

Haven't heard anything on his recovery. Is he gonna be 100% come spring training? Sign a top line starter in addition to resigning Pelfrey and its a decent rotation.
1. Garza/Santana/Tanaka
2. Pelfrey
3. Correia
4. Gibson
5. Deduno/Albers/Diamond/Swarzak

#2 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:20 PM

Haven't heard anything on his recovery. Is he gonna be 100% come spring training? Sign a top line starter in addition to resigning Pelfrey and its a decent rotation.
1. Garza/Santana/Tanaka
2. Pelfrey
3. Correia
4. Gibson
5. Deduno/Albers/Diamond/Swarzak

With all respect and IMO...

Garza isn't happening...the other two are very unlikely as well...and although they are likely big improvements over what we have, not sure any would be considered top line.

#2-#5 contributed the the worst rotation in baseball by a decent margin. One change at the top isn't going to make this rotation decent...

I like the optimism though.
Just remember: You put the lime IN the coconut. Only THEN, can you drink it all up.

#3 Marta Shearing

Marta Shearing

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:28 PM

With all respect and IMO...

Garza isn't happening...the other two are very unlikely as well...and although they are likely big improvements over what we have, not sure any would be considered top line.

#2-#5 contributed the the worst rotation in baseball by a decent margin. One change at the top isn't going to make this rotation decent...

I like the optimism though.

Who are some realistic options? I think pelfrey and gibson will be improved.

#4 Marta Shearing

Marta Shearing

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:31 PM

Bring Johan back!

#5 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:34 PM

Who are some realistic options? I think pelfrey and gibson will be improved.

Signing/trading for MORE than just one quality starter that wasn't in the rotation last year would be a start. I also don't think a rotation should be based on how we think a guy(s) will be. Pelfrey has only had flashes of good in his career and Gibson has had none. I don't really like the hope method...unless that hope is based on some actual real past success in the majors.

Edited by ThePuck, 17 October 2013 - 03:36 PM.

Just remember: You put the lime IN the coconut. Only THEN, can you drink it all up.

#6 Marta Shearing

Marta Shearing

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:38 PM

Two words: Johan Santana

#7 whydidnt

whydidnt

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:24 PM

Have to agree that the proposed rotation is still pretty awful. How about the Twins sign all of Santana/Garza/Tanaka, forget about wasting 5+Mil on Pelfrey and then let the rest the guys you mentioned battle for the 4-5 spots. That would at least have the potential to be a decent rotation. There really isn't a financial reason the Twins couldn't afford to sign all these guys, and they would have instant credibility, and they all are young enough that they could still be around in 2015-16 when the minor league bats hopefully start producing a the Major League level.

#8 Major Leauge Ready

Major Leauge Ready

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:04 PM

Bring Johan back!

I absolutely loved Johan when he was here from the moment he arrived. However, I can't for the life of me understand why we should seek a solution in a 35 year old guy who did not pitch in 2011, had a 4.85 ERA in 2012 and did not pitch in 2013. He is a great athlete and I guess there is a chance he could make a comeback but I am curious as to your thought process here.

#9 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 5,854 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:16 PM

I absolutely loved Johan when he was here from the moment he arrived. However, I can't for the life of me understand why we should seek a solution in a 35 year old guy who did not pitch in 2011, had a 4.85 ERA in 2012 and did not pitch in 2013. He is a great athlete and I guess there is a chance he could make a comeback but I am curious as to your thought process here.

For me I'd bring him back with no guarantees to make the team. Let him try with a team he gave a lot to. I have serious doubts given his injuries he can make the team, let alone pitch effectively over a season. But, who knows? For me it's one of those ... bring him home and give him a shot. Didn't we do that for ... Jacque Jones? .... a few years ago? Older vet, former Twin, just trying one last time?
When life gives you lemons, suck on them and persevere.

#10 Blackjack

Blackjack

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:25 AM

I agree!! I loved watching the Twins when Johan was pitching but I don't want to watch a shell of Johan, don't want to watch him come in and go 1-6 and get released, I'd like to remember him as he was.

#11 Marta Shearing

Marta Shearing

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:44 PM

I always thought having a view like that was weak. People didn't want Jordan to come back because they wanted to remember him how he was. I just wanted to see Jordan again, and could have cared less if he was past his prime. Same with people who complain about movie sequels. Never understood why. None of the Rocky sequels made the original any less of a movie.

#12 S.

S.

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:07 PM

I wouldn't be opposed to signing Johan to a 1yr, incentive deal IF he was the third or fourth pitcher we signed. Its completely unreasonable to assume he'll be a top line starter, and very questionable if he'll ever even be a serviceable #5 starter, or able to pitch at all for that matter. If we sign him as a lottery ticket along with signing some (or hell, even 1 would be nice) starters who have been good more recently than 2010, then by all means, i can get down with that.

In terms of lottery ticket signings, I also wouldnt mind the Twins taking a flyer on Halladay with a low risk, incentive heavy deal. My expectations for him are very low, but we have plenty of money to take a gamble on some risks like that (once again, I'm advocating this along with other good signings, not in lieu of). Even if he's a shell of the Doc he once was, he's still a proven winner, a long-time bonafide ace, and the kind of guy that some of our younger pitchers could probably benefit a lot from having around. I gotta imagine that it'd be nice for Meyer or May or Gibson or any of the young guys to be able to go talk with Halladay instead of having to try to get advice from a guy like Pelfrey or Correia while they're trying to reach their potential in the majors.