Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Postseason Coverage

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:54 PM

What does everyone think about MLB's postseason coverage? I typically like TBS more than Fox because I can tolerate the announcing far more easily. I don't really care for Darling but I liked the early rounds with Eck, Buck Martinez, Joe Simpson, etc. I also like the pre and post game shows because it's obvious it's in the same manner as TNT's NBA coverage.

I think Pedro has been a pleasant surprise for me and Olbermann has grown on me throughout the past two weeks. Verducci is ok and I think Sheffield is actually pretty decent. I'm glad they got rid of Dirk Hayhurst as I didn't find him knowledgeable or funny- a bad combo. Little things like "Who's your daddy" and the Olbermann mustache face Pac Manning eliminated opponents make it better in my opinion.

Fox.... I absolutely despise Joe Buck. At this point I can appreciate McCarver (which is probably not a popular sentiment), but it's completely ruined by Buck who is an even douchier version of Hayhurst. I think the pre-game show has been helped by having the MLBN guys instead of Jeanie Zelasko and Kevin Kennedy, but using the NFL music angers me and I just don't like the overall production of the product.

#2 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,821 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:23 PM

MLB's postseason coverage is a pet peave of mine. It drives me nuts. I'll run through my complaints in order:

Dick Stockton didn't watch a ballgame all year, that was obvious during the Pirates-Cards series. You could cook a pizza in the time it took him to look at his scorecard to find guys' names.

Posted Image

This guy, Ernie Johnson, is just unpleasant to listen to. Is his diaphram broken? He is all throat. His voice could give out at any second. I find it distracting.

The best of the 4 LCS crews was easily Buck Martinez, Don Orsillo and Dennis Eckersly. Orsillo and Martinez are regulars season announcers for the Red Sox and Blue Jays anyway, so they know players' names at least, and I personally like Orsillo's low key style. Strangely though, TBS saw it fit to have them call the As-Tigers series instead of the Red Sox - Rays series.

Bob Brenly was at WGN for a number of years and also managed the D-backs to one or more World Series wins. He knows the players and has good insights and I enjoy his analysis but again, he was cut along with Orsillo and Martinez after the LCS series. SMDH.

Joe Buck is like the anti-Bremer. Completely uninvested, to the point that he seems like he can hardly be bothered to call these games sometimes.

In almost every case, I would rather listen to the local guys call these games. I have an MLB.TV subscription and really there are only a handful that are worse than the national guys IMO.

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,286 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

I liked Hayhurst. Wish they would have used him more (meaning, asked him more questions), but I understand that they want to make Pedro and/or Sheffield the focus.

To be honest, I just have it on in the background, some of the time.

#4 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:41 PM

No matter what one thinks of the coverage, the baseball itself has been pretty damn fantastic up to now though. So there's that, which to me makes pretty much any game fun.

#5 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,515 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

I've pretty much got ignoring announcers down ... I do it all the time with Dick/Bert.

But chief is right, the baseball is fantastic.