Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

BA International League Top 20 - #12 Arcia and chat

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

12. Oswaldo Arcia, of, Rochester (Twins)
Age: 22. B-T: L-R. Ht.: 6-0. Wt.: 220. Signed: Venezuela, 2007.
Posted Image

Arcia earned a callup to Minnesota after just nine games with Rochester, replacing Wilkin Ramirez on the roster. He made an impression with his bat and stayed with the Twins for most of the season, keeping his head above water but striking out too much for his power to fully manifest.

Capable of hitting 20-plus homers in the big leagues with a balanced, powerful swing, Arcia clubbed 16 extra-base hits—including 10 homers—in 38 games with the Red Wings. As with any young power hitter, he’s still learning the strike zone.

Arcia has the arm to play right field, but he won’t be a factor on the bases and has playable range. His future is tied to his bat.

[TABLE="width: 99%"]
[TR="class: subheader-row"]
[TD]AB[/TD]
[TD]R[/TD]
[TD]H[/TD]
[TD]2B[/TD]
[TD]3B[/TD]
[TD]HR[/TD]
[TD]RBI[/TD]
[TD]BB[/TD]
[TD]SO[/TD]
[TD]SB[/TD]
[TD]CS[/TD]
[TD]AVG[/TD]
[TD]OBP[/TD]
[TD]SLG[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]128[/TD]
[TD]25[/TD]
[TD]40[/TD]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD]30[/TD]
[TD]22[/TD]
[TD]37[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]313[/TD]
[TD].426[/TD]
[TD].594[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Ryan (Minneapolis):
I am surprised that Kyle Gibson is not in the Top 20. What happened to him? Is he still have No.3 upside or just back-end type starter?
John Manuel: The league was quite strong this year, and Gibson was strongly considered, but our feedback was definitely more back-of-the-rotation than No. 3. I would imagine him getting hammered in the major leagues colored the impression of IL managers. To me, this list is a pretty strong consensus up through about No. 15, then there were a lot of directions we could have gone.

Ben (Leland Grove): Is Chris Colabello an example of someone who isn't as good as his numbers? How close was he to making your list?
John Manuel: Colabello is another example of someone who could have made the list, and I think his MLB struggles colored the evaluation. Also he struggled a bit defensively; reports of him coming into the year defensively at first actually were strong, but the feedback we got on him at first or in the outfield corners was not positive this year. He’s a tremendous story, and that kind of opposite-field power is hard to find. I think he’s a platoon option going forward and not quite a regular, not dissimilar than Darin Ruf at 17, but Ruf has shown more power at the MLB level and a bit better defense, which is saying something.