Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Gomez

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:29 PM

Someone please tell me they just watched him homer and then get ejected. that was classic.

#2 orangevening

orangevening

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

really?!? why? how?

#3 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 970 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:05 PM

Too bad he couldn't stay in the game just to be plunked. That was complete bush league behavior. He shouldn't have made it around second base.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#4 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:10 PM

It is on the Yahoo MLB page - sounds like he admired his home run and then had some verbal interactions as he rounded the bases, and got into it with McCann at the plate -- benches then cleared. He never did have a self-confidence problem.

#5 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:15 PM

Video: MIL@ATL: Benches clear after Gomez's solo home run | MLB.com

I was watching the Braves telecast when this happened and Chip and Simpson even commented a little later how different the takes were according to the different broadcast booths. Essentially the Braves guys blamed Gomez and Anderson and Schroeder blamed the Braves. I'd side with the Braves on this one. While immensely entertained by this, Gomez acted like a complete psychopath. I can only hope we get to hear Telly interview him about this incident.

#6 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

Yep, no one has ever gotten caught up in an exciting moment and admired a home run. Of course, vigilante catchers literally blocking a guy from getting to home plate just to teach some veiled lesson about sportsmanship happens all the time. Frankly, I'm bored with having to see it so often.

All of the verbal interactions and acts of aggression came from Braves players. Who gets to throw baseballs at them?
Works on contingency? No, money down!
Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#7 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:02 PM

Make that Yahoo front page!

Go CarGo! Hate the effin Braves.

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:25 PM

Brian McCann just jumped toward the top of my favorite players list. Gomez - that was a joke!! Good for Freeman. And good for Reed Johnson, who I believe got a punch in.

#9 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 970 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:32 PM

Yep, no one has ever gotten caught up in an exciting moment and admired a home run. Of course, vigilante catchers literally blocking a guy from getting to home plate just to teach some veiled lesson about sportsmanship happens all the time. Frankly, I'm bored with having to see it so often.

All of the verbal interactions and acts of aggression came from Braves players. Who gets to throw baseballs at them?

Really?! You obviously watched the highlight and not the game. Gomez has been jawing all series and was jawing at Maholm as he finally left home plate. That's what started the comments from Braves players around the bases. Freddie Freeman is arguably the calmest, friendliest player in the entire major leagues, so for him to get riled up, you know something was going on.

#10 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 970 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:33 PM

Make that Yahoo front page!

Go CarGo! Hate the effin Braves.

Carlos Gonzalez had nothing to do with this game...

#11 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 970 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:36 PM

Brian McCann just jumped toward the top of my favorite players list. Gomez - that was a joke!! Good for Freeman. And good for Reed Johnson, who I believe got a punch in.

McCann has had two excellent moments at the plate recently in home run situations. He and Jose Fernandez had good words (verified by both) talking about respecting the game after Fernandez's home run in his final start. Tonight was standing up to a guy who'd done nothing but jaw all series and then went way overboard from the second the ball left his bat.

#12 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:45 PM

Go Go in 2008 spring training, before he had played one game for the Twins. Humble from the start.

"I am going to create a lot of RBIs for (Justin) Morneau, the catcher and the other guy."

I suppose the other guy could either be Kubel or Cuddyer.

Edited by D. Hocking, 25 September 2013 - 08:48 PM.

#13 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:51 PM

I was watching the game actually. I've also watched Gomez plenty in his career. I'd say 90% of the time he's "jawing," he's talking to (or yelling at) himself. Gomez admired his home run. I'm willing to admit that he shouldn't do that. I will always consider that a lesser infraction than someone throwing a baseball at another person, much less a punch. I guess I just value the unwritten rules of humanity over baseball's.
Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#14 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 970 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:01 PM

I was watching the game actually. I've also watched Gomez plenty in his career. I'd say 90% of the time he's "jawing," he's talking to (or yelling at) himself. Gomez admired his home run. I'm willing to admit that he shouldn't do that. I will always consider that a lesser infraction than someone throwing a baseball at another person, much less a punch. I guess I just value the unwritten rules of humanity over baseball's.

The whole fracas got weird as far as who was ejected and who wasn't, I'll give you that. Freddie Freeman was ejected for what appeared to be an accidental bump of Aramis Ramirez while in the pile, but Reed Johnson, who got in the best punch on the whole thing, was left in the game. That part didn't make sense at all.

That said, no one intentionally threw a pitch. Gomez was bringing a HBP from June to the plate against Maholm and started yelling at him as soon as he hit the ball. This wasn't typical "jawing" that Gomez does.

#15 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 970 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:03 PM

Gomez did give this:

#16 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:06 PM

The whole fracas got weird as far as who was ejected and who wasn't, I'll give you that. Freddie Freeman was ejected for what appeared to be an accidental bump of Aramis Ramirez while in the pile, but Reed Johnson, who got in the best punch on the whole thing, was left in the game. That part didn't make sense at all.

That said, no one intentionally threw a pitch. Gomez was bringing a HBP from June to the plate against Maholm and started yelling at him as soon as he hit the ball. This wasn't typical "jawing" that Gomez does.

Fair enough, I wasn't aware of that part of the history. I'm just not a fan of baseball justice and I never will be. It's probably the part of the game I like least. I do feel I'm in the minority though. To each their own.
Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#17 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:10 PM

Carlos Gonzalez had nothing to do with this game...

Who dat?

#18 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 970 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:12 PM

Who dat?

He is CarGo

#19 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 970 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:14 PM

Fair enough, I wasn't aware of that part of the history. I'm just not a fan of baseball justice and I never will be. It's probably the part of the game I like least. I do feel I'm in the minority though. To each their own.

Yeah, not a fan of the whole "justice" thing, but this had nothing to do with that. Gomez came up pissed that Maholm had the nerve to throw a 70 mph curve that hit his lower leg in June. He hit a home run and screamed at Maholm from the plate before taking off. Then he kept hollering as he ran, which is what engaged Freeman at first and eventually McCann at home. Really there was no baseball justice enforced here, just Carlos Gomez being a doofus.

#20 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:26 PM

I like Gomez but I don't think there was any way he was yelling at himself. It was pretty obvious that he was yelling at Maholm the whole way and then McCann when he finally noticed him.

Unlike you, however, I found the whole incident awesome. An otherwise boring game is now going to be memorable for the foreseeable future.

Of course I like guys that have a loose wire like Gomez, Nyjer, Milton Bradley, etc. They make things more interesting for me while I watch the robotic Twins lose 95 games a season.

#21 MichiganTwins

MichiganTwins

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:32 PM

Also, look at GoGos reaction to the first pitch in that at bat. I wish they would have beaned him after that pitch.

#22 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:37 PM

I like Gomez but I don't think there was any way he was yelling at himself. It was pretty obvious that he was yelling at Maholm the whole way and then McCann when he finally noticed him.

Unlike you, however, I found the whole incident awesome. An otherwise boring game is now going to be memorable for the foreseeable future.

Of course I like guys that have a loose wire like Gomez, Nyjer, Milton Bradley, etc. They make things more interesting for me while I watch the robotic Twins lose 95 games a season.

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I love Gomez and his antics. Licking bats, yelling at everyone, getting excited, I love all of that. I don't enjoy throwing at people and whatnot.
Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#23 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 970 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:43 PM

I think what's dumb is that next April, a Braves pitcher will plunk Gomez for this incident that happened 6 months previous.

#24 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

I watched the replay again and Gomez was yelling at Maholm the whole way. He definitely shouldn't do that. I was totally wrong about that part.
Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#25 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:46 PM

I think what's dumb is that next April, a Braves pitcher will plunk Gomez for this incident that happened 6 months previous.

Agreed, and they'll do it even if Maholm is on another team.
Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#26 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:46 PM

Gomez had struck out 6 times in the series prior to this AB. How many times did a Braves pitcher show up Gomez after the punch out? I would guess none. If Gomez wants to show up his opponents he should join the NBA.

#27 jm3319

jm3319

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:11 PM

Go Go in 2008 spring training, before he had played one game for the Twins. Humble from the start.

"I am going to create a lot of RBIs for (Justin) Morneau, the catcher and the other guy."

This quote is awesome. That is all.

#28 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:29 AM

Exciting!

#29 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:31 AM

Classic GoGo! Ha!

#30 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:12 AM

Gomez was a punk when he was with the Twins and he's still a punk. I'm sorry he was ejected. I would have enjoyed seeing him get what he deserved next time he came up. Then again, since you really can't throw at a guy any more, the punch that got landed serves the same purpose.

I always have trouble coming up with a NL team to root for in the postseason, but the Braves and, particularly, McCann, are now at the top of my NL list. I love that he and Freeman and the others didn't let Gomez get away with that crap.

Obviously, McCann and Johnson should have been ejected. The fact that they weren't either speaks to incompetency of the umpires or maybe even they felt Gomez got what he deserved.
[COLOR=#0000cd]I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at[/COLOR][COLOR=#800000] Knuckleballsblog.com[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd] while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd][COLOR=#800000]MetroSportsReport.com[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd].[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000cd]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#b22222]~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~[/COLOR]