Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: 2013 Twins Minor League All Star Team

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,429 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:37 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...e-All-Star-Team

#2 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 657 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:05 AM

Danny Santana gets the snub!

Especially since as you noted, there is little chance of Polonco sticking at SS. And last time I looked, Polonco only played SS when Goodrum was hut.

Santana is probably the only hope this Organization has at SS for in house talent for at least 2-3 years. I have him in my personal top 10.

#3 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:51 AM

The most overlooked part of the organization in which I think are the true All Stars - are the minor league coaches. These players are all great talents, but to have the improvements that Sano; Rosario; Walker; Hicks; Williams; Buxton; etc. have made in 1 years time is very impressive.
*Sano's average jumped from .258 to .350+ in a year.
*Rosario improved as a second baseman to the point where he was nearly the best in FSL
*Walker improved his strikeout rate from 30% to 20%
*Hick was able to stay healthy (trainers) and show true talent
*Williams as noted improved his OBP to new heights (able to show off his speed more)
*Buxton was able to go from a kid with great tool potential to "Mr. Baseball"

The Twins minor coaches have done an incredible job in taking these kids to new levels and nurturing their talent in the best interest of the Twins long term. Just think of where they can be next year if they progress at their current rates.

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,429 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:35 AM

Danny Santana gets the snub!

Especially since as you noted, there is little chance of Polonco sticking at SS. And last time I looked, Polonco only played SS when Goodrum was hut.

Santana is probably the only hope this Organization has at SS for in house talent for at least 2-3 years. I have him in my personal top 10.

He's been and will be in my personal Top 10 too.

#5 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,429 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:39 AM

The most overlooked part of the organization in which I think are the true All Stars - are the minor league coaches. These players are all great talents, but to have the improvements that Sano; Rosario; Walker; Hicks; Williams; Buxton; etc. have made in 1 years time is very impressive.

<snip>

The Twins minor coaches have done an incredible job in taking these kids to new levels and nurturing their talent in the best interest of the Twins long term. Just think of where they can be next year if they progress at their current rates.

Very good point! The Twins do have very good instructors in most of their minor league system. Obviously the guys in Elizabethton (Ray Smith and Jeff Reed for sure) are tremendous. I got to know the Cedar Rapids coaching staff and their knowledge of the game, and their ability to get people to learn is remarkable. To watch them work (Jake Mauer, Tommy Watkins and Gary Lucas) is really something! Their enthusiasm is great to watch! Obviously Doug Mientkiewicz and long-time big leaguer Jim Dwyer know a ton about pitching. Ivan Arteaga gets great reviews from people I've talked to. Gene Glynn has an eye for talent, and the personality to fit in well at that AAA level. His job for so long was scout and talent evaluator. He just knows what he's doing.

Thank you for pointing this out!

#6 howieramone1406390264

howieramone1406390264

Banned

• Banned
  • 715 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:50 AM

Lightfoot789 you make a very good point. The difficulties at the major league level have masked the excellence of our minor league organization and our scouting for that matter. I had the same thought, if they could just show the same progress next year. But in reality, they will show the same progress every year. The only change is since June of 2012, we are now drafting at the top, instead of near the bottom. The organization has always been in place.

#7 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 655 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:57 AM

Maybe the Twins should look at promoting more than just players in the near future.

#8 richardkr34

richardkr34

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

Hicks would be in RF. Best arm on the team.

#9 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:40 AM

I'll take Walker's 15 more HRs & 40+ more RBIs (per season) and his position worthy arm in RF. He's a better fielder than most might believe. Hicks is a far better fielder, but Walker will win more games for you in the course of a full season. IMO :). In terms of Runs scored. Walker was second in the Midwest League in that category. So - He brings more to the table as an overall player. IMO :).

#10 richardkr34

richardkr34

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:54 AM

Sorry, I was referring to that projected September 2014 lineup; Hicks in RF instead of Rosario. As far as Walker goes, he needs to get to at least AA before his prospect status really takes off. He was a college player who spent his entire season in low A. He'll be a 22-year-old in High-A to begin next year. Hicks was in AA and doing well at the same age.

#11 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:10 AM

Plan: Move all the guys on this list to AAA under Gene Glynn. After the All Star break, move them all (including Glynn) to the major league club. Keep Dozier, Pinto and Mauer, plus most of the relief staff.

How am I doing so far?

#12 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,429 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:22 AM

I prefer him in LF just because there is more room to cover, and in my opinion, range is more important in the outfield. Also, Rosario has a very good arm too and enough to play RF. So, my choice is based on range, but Hicks definitely has a rocket for an arm.

#13 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,246 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:30 AM

Plan: Move all the guys on this list to AAA under Gene Glynn. After the All Star break, move them all (including Glynn) to the major league club. Keep Dozier, Pinto and Mauer, plus most of the relief staff.

How am I doing so far?

I had a similar thought. If this team played the big league club in a 3 game series, who would in more games?

#14 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:05 PM

What of the SS position for the future with regard to Polanco? Seth, do you think that the Twins are just playing Santana and Goodrum at SS instead of Beresford and Polanco, respectively, because they know the latter two can play SS but they think the ceiling is higher for the first two and SS is in dire straights?

I do think that Polanco is firmly above Goodrum at this point overall, so that question kinda doesn't make sense. But still, what gives? Is Santana really going to be a SS? If it doesn't work there for him, then he seems to be immediate trade material.

Same for Polanco. I *really* like Polanco though. He is still very young and the bat has not only come around, but and thensome.

#15 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:09 PM

For that matter, Polanco is pretty much Rosario-esque in so many ways outside of OF capability. Look at Rosario's 2012 numbers at A- and Polanco's 2013 numbers there.

#16 mnfanforlife

mnfanforlife

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:25 PM

I had a similar thought. If this team played the big league club in a 3 game series, who would in more games?

The minor leaguers would win, hands down. Might be a blowout. We are talking about two of the best players in the world (Buxton and Sano) right now. The MLB Twins are an average AAA team. They would get beat by a hungry, and uber-talented, minor league squad.

#17 orangevening

orangevening

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

The minor leaguers would win, hands down. Might be a blowout. We are talking about two of the best players in the world (Buxton and Sano) right now. The MLB Twins are an average AAA team. They would get beat by a hungry, and uber-talented, minor league squad.

Come on. Buxton and Sano are two of the best MINOR league players in the world. They are far, far away from being the best players in the WORLD. Depends on pitching obviously, but I would money on the major league team 2 out of 3 if not 3 out of 3. Anything else is pure silliness.

This is like saying the Alabama Crimson Tide would beat the Jacksonville Jaguars. Fun to think about, but no chance.

#18 scottsilvi

scottsilvi

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

Come on. Buxton and Sano are two of the best MINOR league players in the world. They are far, far away from being the best players in the WORLD. Depends on pitching obviously, but I would money on the major league team 2 out of 3 if not 3 out of 3. Anything else is pure silliness.

This is like saying the Alabama Crimson Tide would beat the Jacksonville Jaguars. Fun to think about, but no chance.

In fairness, this would be more like the Jags playing the SEC All Conference players. And I'd bet on the SEC (ignoring small details like Football is much more of a "team" sport, so the SEC players would struggle without ample practice time)

#19 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,278 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:28 PM

That's about right for the position players. Only difference is that I would have given 1B to Kennys Vargas. Very similar numbers with DJ Hicks (bit more power, bit less BA, OBP within 10-15 points), only Vargas got them all in Ft. Myers and is a year younger than Hicks.

#20 CGNikolic

CGNikolic

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:40 PM

In fairness, this would be more like the Jags playing the SEC All Conference players. And I'd bet on the SEC (ignoring small details like Football is much more of a "team" sport, so the SEC players would struggle without ample practice time)

1. Alabama IS the SEC All-Conference team essentially. 2. The Jaguars would destroy the SEC All Conference team. You are talking older, physically matured players who are playing against college kids. Wouldn't be close, I don't care how bad the pro team is. This is how it works in contact sports.. However, in baseball? The Twins playing this team would be interesting. And entertaining!

#21 CGNikolic

CGNikolic

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:49 PM

That's about right for the position players. Only difference is that I would have given 1B to Kennys Vargas. Very similar numbers with DJ Hicks (bit more power, bit less BA, OBP within 10-15 points), only Vargas got them all in Ft. Myers and is a year younger than Hicks.

A fair point, but I think you are pointing out the fact that Vargas is the better PROSPECT, while Hicks had the better year. Either one did deserve it however.

#22 Spicoli

Spicoli

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:21 PM

The Twins need to get pitching bad. I think in the next couple years the Twins could have a great offensive team with Sano, Buxton and the others coming up but they really don't have any depth as far as pitching prospects go. Stewart is really the only high end pitching prospect we have, Meyer isn't to far behind but other than them its pretty thin. Berrios and Gibson could be number 4s but that doesn't help too much.

I guess if Stewart and Meyer both pan out as solid number 2s or one even becomes an elite pitcher than we could have a good roto.

Edited by Spicoli, 19 September 2013 - 06:25 PM.

#23 scottsilvi

scottsilvi

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:09 PM

1. Alabama IS the SEC All-Conference team essentially. 2. The Jaguars would destroy the SEC All Conference team. You are talking older, physically matured players who are playing against college kids. Wouldn't be close, I don't care how bad the pro team is. This is how it works in contact sports.. However, in baseball? The Twins playing this team would be interesting. And entertaining!

I think you do a huge injustice to the depth of the SEC. The conference averages 8 first round picks / draft, which means there are approximately 24 future first round picks currently in the SEC, and 180 players that will be drafted into the NFL. I think that all-star team (again, pretending these players had been practicing/playing together all year like the Jags) would give the Jags a run.

#24 richardkr34

richardkr34

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:39 PM

I think you do a huge injustice to the depth of the SEC. The conference averages 8 first round picks / draft, which means there are approximately 24 future first round picks currently in the SEC, and 180 players that will be drafted into the NFL. I think that all-star team (again, pretending these players had been practicing/playing together all year like the Jags) would give the Jags a run.

Look at the 2011 draft. Construct a team using SEC players. Ask yourself if they could beat a team of proven NFL players (The Panthers being the worst team that year).

#25 roger

roger

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:08 AM

I would only disagree with one statement in your entire post...that being Aaron Hicks in left field of next year's September lineup.

I am of the opinion until he proves he can hit, anywhere, his future is very much in doubt. Yes, he was pushed up to the Twins before he was ready. However, his results in AAA may have indicated he may never be ready. Other than a good rookie season in the GCL, one solid season at AA in 2012 and a great stay in the AFL, he has never hit for an acceptable average (for a top prospect that we all seem to annoint him as). Until he proves he can, I won't be including him in any future plans.

#26 BabyJesusBuxton

BabyJesusBuxton

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

I am of the opinion until he proves he can hit, anywhere, his future is very much in doubt. Yes, he was pushed up to the Twins before he was ready. However, his results in AAA may have indicated he may never be ready. Other than a good rookie season in the GCL, one solid season at AA in 2012 and a great stay in the AFL, he has never hit for an acceptable average (for a top prospect that we all seem to annoint him as). Until he proves he can, I won't be including him in any future plans.

Hicks has shown a history of doing very well after about a year of an adjustment period to the advanced pitching at each level. I personally think development-wise he should have been in AAA all year but the offseason trades really forced him up early.

If you are expecting him to hit .310 you won't be happy with him but I think an average around .275 with an OBP around .375 isn't outside the realm of possibilities with Hicks in a couple years if he can continue to develop.

#27 BabyJesusBuxton

BabyJesusBuxton

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

This has already happened back in '98 and obviously, the game would still end in a tie after the lights go out at[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Calibri]the Metrodome [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]Tar[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]get Field in the 9th inning.