Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Game Thread: Twins@White Sox 9/17 7:10PM

• Please log in to reply
222 replies to this topic

#1 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,932 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:19 PM

Twins: SP Mike Pelfrey

CF Mastroianni
2B Dozier
3B Plouffe
RF Arcia
DH Doumit
LF Willingham
C Pinto
1B Colabello
SS Florimon

White Sox: SP Jose Quintana

CF De Aza
SS Ramirez
LF Viciedo
DH Dunn
1B Konerko
RF Danks
2B Beckham
C Phegley
3B Semien

Things to Think About:

1. Think about Josmil Pinto... As of September 2013... He's the best person to think about right now... Brian Dozier is here to stay... Joe Mauer is not around... Colabello has been around for awhile... Josmil is the fresh shiny package around all the unwrapped and played with toys.

2. Think about Joe Mauer... He's been gone along time now. It's not PC these days to make light of concussions. We saw what happened to Morneau with his concussion... With that said... I think I suffered about 97 of them in my youth... I got back at it very quickly... The only thing that happened... is that I started punctuating with ellipses... Why do they seem to effect Twins Players harder than other Baseball Teams.

3. Think about Mike Pelfrey... As of September 2013... The Current Starting Rotation... Pelfrey... Correia... Hernandez... Diamond and Hendriks... If you look at those five arms... It's pretty clear... Pelfrey and Correia have to lead the way. Hopefully Pelfrey can do some leading tonight.

4. Think about Brian Dozier... He's had his day off... He should be rested and ready to hit that dinger that puts him alone in the lead for home runs on the team.

5. Think about how far we've come as individuals... When I think back to my younger days... I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#2 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:04 PM

3) Can I think about Albers, in your "Current Starting Rotation", instead?

#3 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,102 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:17 PM

2. I wonder why catchers' masks cannot include small shock absorbers where the grill attaches to the mask. Even if the shock absorbers absorbed only 10% or 20% of the force from an errant pitch, why would that not be worthwhile? My gut tells me that there must be significant room for improvement in catcher mask technology such that concussions could be significantly reduced, using shock absorbers and high tech materials.

Do we have any actual or armchair engineers here who could shed more light on this?

#4 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

Nice atbat by Dozier

#5 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,932 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:29 PM

2. I wonder why catchers' masks cannot include small shock absorbers where the grill attaches to the mask. Even if the shock absorbers absorbed only 10% or 20% of the force from an errant pitch, why would that not be worthwhile? My gut tells me that there must be significant room for improvement in catcher mask technology such that concussions could be significantly reduced, using shock absorbers and high tech materials.

Do we have any actual or armchair engineers here who could shed more light on this?

Its a good idea and I'm sure the technology is on its way. Concussions is becoming the necessity and that's the mother... Of... Something.

I think shock absorbed technology would be a good idea for 1 year olds as well.

#6 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,932 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:30 PM

3) Can I think about Albers, in your "Current Starting Rotation", instead?

oops... Yeah forgot about him... Ok... Pressure is off Pelfrey.

#7 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,932 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:32 PM

Shock absorbers would be great idea for some of my comments as well!

#8 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,149 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:33 PM

I took my prototype out for a test drive. Thoughts?

Posted Image

#9 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:33 PM

Arrived twenty minutes after game time. I see the score is 0-0. How much longer is the rain delay forecast?

#10 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:34 PM

I think shock absorbed technology would be a good idea for 1 year olds as well.

Bad things occasionally happen to toddlers, but my experience is they are basically made out of rubber at that age.

#11 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,932 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:39 PM

Pinto is acting like he wants to stay

#12 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,932 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:42 PM

Bad things occasionally happen to toddlers, but my experience is they are basically made out of rubber at that age.

If I have another Kid... I'm gonna name him Firestone... If its a girl Good Year.

#13 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Queen.

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,252 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:43 PM

4. Think about Brian Dozier...

Sigh! :D
When life gives you lemons, suck on them and persevere.

#14 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,932 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:46 PM

Sigh! :D

It doesn't take much coaxing to lead you down that path... Does it?

#15 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Queen.

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,252 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:47 PM

Wasn't there something said that Joe (and others) were testing out some new equipment with thicker padding or some such? Thought I read that. Something that was being tested to help with the heavy dings.

#16 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Queen.

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,252 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:48 PM

I thought you put that in there for me! Tell the truth, you'd be disappointed if I DIDN'T say something!

#17 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,102 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:51 PM

A friend just forwarded this article that argues that bunting is almost always a bad idea and that the smarter teams are bunting less. Any comments?

#18 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,149 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:01 PM

Any comments?

If only there were a game-centric place to discuss this thoroughly.

Posted Image

#19 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:02 PM

Ashbury: Do-
CTTF: *sigh*
Ashbury: -es anybody know how long the rain delay will be?

#20 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Moderators
  • 4,149 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

Snark aside, I find the article to be right on point.

#21 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,932 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

I thought you put that in there for me! Tell the truth, you'd be disappointed if I DIDN'T say something!

I'd like to help... You are a friend and I want you to be happy... Here is some Brian Dozier information for you... Stuff to help you when you finally make your move:

1. Brian is from Fulton Mississippi
2. He has small town sensibilities... Fulton is population 3,882.
3. Fulton is building a plant for Cellulosic Ethonol. Brian knows what that means for the local economy.
4. Brian is a fan of NASCAR... He was a big Kyle Petty Fan.
5. He wears an Elvis Costume every Halloween
6. He loves Corn on the Cob and eats it by putting the whole cob in his mouth clamping down and pulling the cob out slowly while his teeth pull each kernel off on the way out. Before he swallows the Corn he puts an entire stick of butter in his mouth and then swallows the whole works.
7. Brian likes to read... But he doesn't know how... He simply makes up what he wants the book to say. His favorite book is For Whom the Bell Tolls by Hemingway... Brian says its about a Panda Bear that got lost in Vancouver while searching for a better brand of bamboo.
8. He has the days of the week sewn into his underwear... Since he can't read... He wears Wednesday on Friday.
9. Brian likes piña Colodas and getting caught in the rain... And he laughs when his girlfriend answers the exact same personal ad that he does.
10. Brian also like Puppies and Old People.

Edited by Riverbrian, 17 September 2013 - 07:06 PM.

#22 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,932 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:04 PM

Wasn't there something said that Joe (and others) were testing out some new equipment with thicker padding or some such? Thought I read that. Something that was being tested to help with the heavy dings.

It didnt work!

#23 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,932 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:11 PM

A friend just forwarded this article that argues that bunting is almost always a bad idea and that the smarter teams are bunting less. Any comments?

I didn't read the article because I'm busy thinking up goofy stuff... But... Bunting is a good idea if you are playing for one run. However... If you are trying to win a game... Bunting is a bad idea.

The biggest problem with bunting is... It potentially kills the crooked number. 3 4 or 5 run innings win ball games... It's much harder to get the big inning if you are giving up an out... You need string some things together. A bunt cuts the string.

#24 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:11 PM

Does Pelfrey get paid by the hour? That would explain some things.

#25 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:13 PM

I'd like to help... You are a friend and I want you to be happy... Here is some Brian Dozier information for you... Stuff to help you when you finally make your move:

1. Brian is from Fulton Mississippi
2. He has small town sensibilities... Fulton is population 3,882.
3. Fulton is building a plant for Cellulosic Ethonol. Brian knows what that means for the local economy.
4. Brian is a fan of NASCAR... He was a big Kyle Petty Fan.
5. He wears an Elvis Costume every Halloween
6. He loves Corn on the Cob and eats it by putting the whole cob in his mouth clamping down and pulling the cob out slowly while his teeth pull each kernel off on the way out. Before he swallows the Corn he puts an entire stick of butter in his mouth and then swallows the whole works.
7. Brian likes to read... But he doesn't know how... He simply makes up what he wants the book to say. His favorite book is For Whom the Bell Tolls by Hemingway... Brian says its about a Panda Bear that got lost in Vancouver while searching for a better brand of bamboo.
8. He has the days of the week sewn into his underwear... Since he can't read... He wears Wednesday on Friday.
9. Brian likes piña Colodas and getting caught in the rain... And he laughs when his girlfriend answers the exact same personal ad that he does.
10. Brian also like Puppies and Old People.

Sounds like someone has already made their move....and GOT SOME!

#26 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,932 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:14 PM

Does Pelfrey get paid by the hour? That would explain some things.

No... But give him a couple years and he will be.

#27 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:14 PM

I didn't read the article because I'm busy thinking up goofy stuff... But... Bunting is a good idea if you are playing for one run. However... If you are trying to win a game... Bunting is a bad idea.

The biggest problem with bunting is... It potentially kills the crooked number. 3 4 or 5 run innings win ball games... It's much harder to get the big inning if you are giving up an out... You need string some things together. A bunt cuts the string.

I am a big fan of bunting for hits. Otherwise, unless the pitcher is locked in against you and one run will make the difference, I'd say you're better off swinging away.

#28 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:15 PM

No... But give him a couple years and he will be.

Congrats, I laughed out loud at this one.

#29 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:17 PM

The biggest problem with bunting is... It potentially kills the crooked number.

In the early innings you don't necessarily know how many runs you'll need. Bunting then seems bad in general.

If you have your ace on the mound, maybe you have a better idea of that number, even early. Or, if you have a good OBP offense with poor slugging, maybe bunting can help you wring a few more runs out, by cutting down on the two-runner innings that don't produce anything.

But I'm laying out extreme cases here; in the average game the early sacrifice is so far from optimal that it's hardly worth looking at anymore.

#30 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,932 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:18 PM

Congrats, I laughed out loud at this one.

Attached File  image.jpg   35.29KB   2 downloads