Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Who is the Twins' Rookie of the Year?

albers arcia colabello hicks rookie of the year
  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 3,908 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

With Hicks dispatched to the minors and not recalled, Arcia scuffling mightily on his last recall, and the only real "success" being Andrew Albers, who gets the nod as the Twins ROY?

#2 Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:14 PM

if Arcia puts in a decent last two weeks, he could still be in the running for the AL ROY.

#3 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

I think we should almost leave it vacant with how things have turned out. The best candidate is Josmil Pinto, but he'll be a rookie next year too and has been limited to under 50 PAs. Yet still he's nearly our WAR leader (.1 behind the much more played Arcia) and is the only rookie who has positive WAA. Albers has been pretty good and I wouldn't mind if he got it either.

#4 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:16 PM

Thielbar or Pressly
Just remember: You put the lime IN the coconut. Only THEN, can you drink it all up.

#5 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,238 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:19 PM

It'll take more than a couple of decent weeks to get Arcia anywhere close to Myers.

#6 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 3,908 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

I knew I forgot somebody. Thielbar! He has done very well in his half-season. I suspect there is some smoke and mirrors there, but maybe he gets the award. I'll echo Snepp. Myers is the AL MVP, hands down.

#7 Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:44 PM

It'll take more than a couple of decent weeks to get Arcia anywhere close to Myers.

another 10 home runs and 25-30 rbi's should be enough to give him a shot:)
that would be decent!

#8 iastfan112

iastfan112

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

I'd weakly favor Thielbar at this point as well, wouldn't be that hard for someone to snag it from with a strong last couple weeks though or if he faltered. Maybe I'll change my mind but even if Pinto hits well the remainder of the season I have a philosophical problem giving a Sept callup rookie of the year.

#9 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,238 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:47 PM

another 10 home runs and 25-30 rbi's should be enough to give him a shot:)
that would be decent!

Sold!

#10 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:02 AM

A pretty unimpressive lot to choose from, given the incredible farm system that has the Twins poised on the cusp of world dominance by 2015 at the latest.

#11 Rick Niedermann

Rick Niedermann

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:45 AM

Ryan Pressley would get my vote. Pretty good numbers All year long.

#12 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,374 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:10 AM

A great problem to have all these outstanding rookies to pick from. The futrue is bright, indeed.

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#13 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:28 AM

Bobby Cuellar, the bullpen is the only thing that isn't a mess. Nice work Rook.

#14 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:36 AM

Bobby Cuellar, the bullpen is the only thing that isn't a mess. Nice work Rook.

I was going to post the same thing.

#15 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:48 AM

Brian Dozier.

Yes, there was a player on the team named Brian Dozier last year. But the one named Brian Dozier this year is so much better than last year's that he is a completely different player.

Hey, if MLB can give Ichiro the RoY at age 28 after 10 years as a pro, the Twins can name Dozier their rookie of the year.

Barring that, I'm with the 'skip it' comment. Naming a RoY from this crop is like sending Coomer to the All Star Game because everyone's gotta have a guy there.

#16 howieramone1406390264

howieramone1406390264

Banned

• Banned
  • 715 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:24 PM

A pretty unimpressive lot to choose from, given the incredible farm system that has the Twins poised on the cusp of world dominance by 2015 at the latest.

Chief, first the Central and then the world. Much can happen in 19 months.:)

#17 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

Brian Dozier.

Yes, there was a player on the team named Brian Dozier last year. But the one named Brian Dozier this year is so much better than last year's that he is a completely different player.

Hey, if MLB can give Ichiro the RoY at age 28 after 10 years as a pro, the Twins can name Dozier their rookie of the year.

Barring that, I'm with the 'skip it' comment. Naming a RoY from this crop is like sending Coomer to the All Star Game because everyone's gotta have a guy there.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hicks is next year's Dozier.

#18 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:09 PM

Even a league-average Aaron Hicks 2014 would be cell-for-cell do over of AH2013. Let's hope so. Switch hitting is hard.

#19 benchwarmerjim

benchwarmerjim

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:22 PM

Thielbar or Pressly

agreed.
I says a lot about the sad state of the starters, but Pressly has 73.1 innings pitched. That is good for 6th on the team, and 2nd most from the bullpen (miles behind Swarzak's 92.2)

#20 grubah

grubah

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:25 PM

Albers? No way, 2 great starts to begin his career does not make him a RoY candidate. It's Thielbar or Arcia. As much as I would like to say Arcia because I think he has great potential, based purely on performance (which RoY should be) you have to give it to Thielbar.

#21 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:04 PM

I'd weakly favor Thielbar at this point as well, wouldn't be that hard for someone to snag it from with a strong last couple weeks though or if he faltered. Maybe I'll change my mind but even if Pinto hits well the remainder of the season I have a philosophical problem giving a Sept callup rookie of the year.

Absolutely agree... Let's see how Pinto does the second time around and where his #s are after 300-400 plate appearances.

#22 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:34 PM

Thielbar only because he pitched in more crucial situations, at least to my recollection. Pressly gave them more innings, but often in a mop-up role. According to BR, Thielbar faced many more batters in "late and close" situations than Pressly (50PA vs 39 PA), especially considering Pressly's higher number of innings.

#23 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:28 PM

Personally I'd be shocked. And thrilled.