- Faced some pretty good competition, but not excuses. We had a chance to put up some runs and we didn't do it.
- Defense - We have had a chance to turn a lot of DPs and haven't got it done. Some have been routine. Extends innings.
- Played decent defense in the OF. Obviously Span needs to cover ground.
- Valencia makes good plays going forward, struggles side to side, but he's improved of late.
- Might take offensive struggles to the defensive side, needs concentration and to be ready. No quesiton that he's capable of being good defensively.
Notes from Inside Twins (with Corey Provus and Terry Ryan)
Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:11 AM
Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:20 AM
Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:28 AM
Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:38 AM
Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:39 AM
Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:53 AM
(Nishioka playing better defense.)
I witnessed that last night. He was solid on second base, robbed a batter with a diving catch on a line drive and excuted a rundown between 2nd and 3rd (which has not been trivial for him) perfectly. I think that him not Dozier will be the first middle infielder up from Rochester (no matter how unpopular this may be)
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:54 AM
Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:05 PM
I don't listen to the radio very often - doesn't Gardenhire have his own show, too? I still can't quite figure out why Terry Ryan would be asked where Willingham will hit in the order, or how the bullpen guys will be used. It seemed listening to what Ryan said about Doumit that they aren't overly pleased with his start this year.
Gardenhire's show is on Sunday morning's at 9:30. Not all fans/listeners understand the distinctions between manager and general manager... or they feel like the GM will take their comments and relay them to the manager who will immediately impliment their suggestions.
Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:48 PM
When the show came back, Ryan was talking about the upcoming draft. He said they had a 2 1/2 day meeting with all scouts to make sure they had all names, weren't missing anyone. He said that this draft could very well shape the future of the organization, with 6 picks in the top 100. Mike Radcliff will be on it 100% at this point, and Terry Ryan himself will be focusing on it as well.
That's interesting. I wonder what Johnson's standing is with Ryan. Smith promoted Johnson to draft guy when he became GM. His drafts have been well received when they happened but the results haven't been great so far.