Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

First promotion...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:01 AM

It appears the first in-season promotion of the year goes to... RockCats OF Darin Mastroianni. Promoted to Rochester. He takes Tosoni's spot on the roster. Tosoni was placed on the 7 day DL with a hand injury.

#2 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

Mastroianni was on the Jays' AAA roster most of last year, wasn't he? I was surprised to see that he was in AA to start the season, I kind of thought we was brought in to push guys like Revere and Plouffe in Spring Training as a possible 4th outfielder. He's probably realistically 7th or 8th on the org's depth chart for the outfield, so I guess AA was probably about right.

#3 J-Dog Dungan

J-Dog Dungan

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:57 AM

I believe the reason that we sent him to AA is because I don't think there was a spot for him to play in AAA, and Gardy and Ryan wanted him to play every day.

Edited by J-Dog Dungan, 14 April 2012 - 10:01 AM.

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,429 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

Probably short-term. Not certain how long Wilkin Ramirez is out. Tosoni could be back in a week. Dinkelman said this morning that his hand is still sore, but he hopes to be in the lineup in the next day or two.

#5 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

So does this mean he's back to playing in the outfield? He was playing 2B in New Britain, right?

#6 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:05 AM

So does this mean he's back to playing in the outfield? He was playing 2B in New Britain, right?

From what I have seen, Beresford has been playing 2B. Mastroianni in CF and LF when I was there.
Andrew Walter
Twins Fan From Afar
Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
http://twinsfanfroma...gspot.com<br />Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

#7 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

From what I have seen, Beresford has been playing 2B. Mastroianni in CF and LF when I was there.

Yeah, he's played almost exclusively in LF, with one game in CF. Got some time at 2B in ST and is listed as a 1B on the roster. How about we just go with UTIL?

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,429 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:14 AM

He's played exclusively in the OF since the season started. Not sure why they had him playing so much infield after he was sent down.

#9 stringer bell

stringer bell

I Want To Believe

• Twins News Team
  • 3,905 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:18 AM

A guy who can play capable defense in both the infield and outfield could be used at the level above Rochester.

#10 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

So now with Clete being picked up and (probably) Revere being sent down, any chance Mastroianni gets demoted again?

#11 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,429 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

So now with Clete being picked up and (probably) Revere being sent down, any chance Mastroianni gets demoted again?

If the Twins demote Revere (which may not be a given), he might as well get sent back to AA since Revere will play ahead of him and Dinkelman will only be out a couple of days.

#12 2wins87

2wins87

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

Baker to the 60-day, nobody gets sent down, unless they want another arm. The Red Wings could have used Mastroianni the last few games when Towles and Butera were taking turns patrolling the outfield; neither of them needs to be playing every day. I guess they didn't want to put Tosoni on the DL too quickly?

#13 2wins87

2wins87

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

Or was Baker already on the 25-day?

#14 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,278 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:15 PM

I don't think that there is a chance he does not get demoted, unless someone like Chang gets demotes. Either Revere or Burroughs will be in AAA. Slim chance someone claims Burroughs Mastroianni might stick with Rochester
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98