Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Updated 2014 Lineup Projection

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:22 AM

2B Dozier
RF Herrmann
1B Mauer (3rd catcher)
LF Willingham
DH Arcia
C Pinto
3B Plouffe
CF Presley
SS Florimon

Bench
Parmelee
Escobar
Mastroanni
Collabello

I think they trade Doumit for a minor leaguer. I believe that, that is about all try do besides adding some minor league free agents. They do this because they will wait for prospects to come up in June/July.

What do you think?

#2 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:29 AM

No Hicks?

#3 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:34 AM

No Hicks?

No Hicks. I believe he will have to prove he deserves it in AAA first.

#4 iastfan112

iastfan112

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:48 AM

I think Pinto ends up getting called up in June and Doumit is traded then as well. I think Mauer still catches 50% or more of the time.

#5 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 994 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:55 AM

Let's look realistically.

DH - COumit or Willingham.

RF Presly or Parmelee or both.

Carbello will get a shot at first abse.

Doumit is still around

Arcia will be in the outfield, too young to be DH.

If they trade Doumit, then Pinto will get called up. No use having Pinto around unless he is going to catch at least 40 or so games at this stage.

Be interesting to see 40-man roster adds/subtracts before we get into line-up construction.
Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#6 killertwinsfan

killertwinsfan

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

I hope your wrong, I see 2 maybe 3 with Dozier, major league players in that lineup. Howver I believe Hicks will be in the lineup and i'm betting we see Sano in 2014 with the possibility of Rosario as well

#7 Danchat

Danchat

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:16 PM

Here's what I think:
2B Dozier
1B Mauer
DH Willingham
RF Arcia
C Pinto
3B Plouffe
LF Presley
CF Mastroianni
SS Florimon

C/OF Herrmann
INF Escobar
1B/RF Parmelee
OF Ramirez

The Twins will switch to 13 pitchers when the rotation implodes again. Hicks and Sano are not ready yet. Hicks gets a call in May and Sano gets the call in late June. I know what you're thinking - Ramirez is on the team? He can actually hit...somewhat. Plouffe is on his last straw. Parmelee is also on the hot seat, but gets to play 1B when Mauer rests/DHs/plays C. (Happy Gardy? We have 3 catchers now.)

#8 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,128 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:37 PM

Depressing..... I want the Cuban 1B at least. That lineup is pretty much this years, one of the worst offenses and defenses in the game.
Lighten up Francis....

#9 howieramone1406390264

howieramone1406390264

Banned

• Banned
  • 715 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

Mike, if the Twins scouts decide it's a go, I would like to take our best shots at both Abreu and Tanaka. I'm too lazy to go back and look, but IIRC the fun and games don't start until at least January. It's impossible to predict who will be successful, but I have little doubt the check book will be opened this winter. The past is not a perfect predictor of the future.

#10 Don Julio

Don Julio

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

With the number of top prospects that could be MLB ready next year, it would seem the Twins would not want to start all of their clocks at the same time. Sano, Rosario, Buxton, Meyer, May, Tonkin, etc., are all projected to be very important pieces to the Twins. It would be problematic for the Twins if they were all entering arbitration and free agency at the same time. Therefore, why not call Sano up now?

#11 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:10 PM

With the number of top prospects that could be MLB ready next year, it would seem the Twins would not want to start all of their clocks at the same time. Sano, Rosario, Buxton, Meyer, May, Tonkin, etc., are all projected to be very important pieces to the Twins. It would be problematic for the Twins if they were all entering arbitration and free agency at the same time. Therefore, why not call Sano up now?

Isn't it just as problematic if Sano is arb 2 or 3 when all of the others are arb 1? Ideally the Twins have as many of Sano's best seasons under team control as possible. Calling him up trades a month of his age 21 season for his entire age 28 season. Starting him in AAA next year is the wise move.

#12 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:18 PM

Isn't it just as problematic if Sano is arb 2 or 3 when all of the others are arb 1? Ideally the Twins have as many of Sano's best seasons under team control as possible. Calling him up trades a month of his age 21 season for his entire age 28 season. Starting him in AAA next year is the wise move.

Let's just wait to bring them all up at the same time. 2015, 2016. Are we just convinced we're only going to have these guys for their first 6 seasons and then they're gone?

#13 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

Let's just wait to bring them all up at the same time. 2015, 2016. Are we just convinced we're only going to have these guys for their first 6 seasons and then they're gone?

It is not a matter of being convinced. It is what baseball guarantees. Almost any star player would want to test the free agent market at first opportunity. It is even more likely when that player has fewer ties to the home town area.

The Twins are guaranteed 6 years service time before free agency. They should maximize what the contract provides and hope these players turn out to be stars.

#14 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:32 PM

It is not a matter of being convinced. It is what baseball guarantees. Almost any star player would want to test the free agent market at first opportunity. It is even more likely when that player has fewer ties to the home town area.

The Twins are guaranteed 6 years service time before free agency. They should maximize what the contract provides and hope these players turn out to be stars.

There is a huge, but huge list of players, including star players, that signed extensions well before they become free agents. Smart teams get it done early.

#15 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,259 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:17 PM

Are there really people who believe that? Very few people here believed that the Twins would be at all competitive this year. If Terry Ryan actually thought that then he must have blinders on that would fit a Clydesdale. (Oh, wait, the team that uses Clydesdales doesn't wear blinders). Maybe he found a Genie in a bottle he thought would grant every wish - this team was put together on a heck of a lot of wishin' and hopin' but that seldom goes far.

Terry Ryan OUGHT to be embarrassed about the mess of a team that this franchise fielded this year. Terry Ryan OUGHT to be embarrassed that he is so unwilling to spend money that he not only didn't improve the team measurably but arguably made it even more depressing (even if it finishes with a slightly better record than in 2012 but that isn't a sure thing). And Jim Pohlad OUGHT to be embarrassed, too.

Terry Ryan OUGHT to retire.

As for the line-up next year, the only thing I'm certain about is that it will be another merry-go-round with Dozier, Mauer, Willingham and Florimon the only relatively sure things (and even then, we could see regression in Dozier and Florimon and who knows where Willingham's health will be). Every other position is up for grabs.

I just hope that both the Manager and GM jobs are up for grabs too. (Oh, and if I were Joe Mauer, I'd be willing to waive my no trade clause in a heartbeat).

Please tone down the invective. It is understandable that you are angry and passionate, but you can say what you want to say without being so inflammatory and so dismissive of others. What you posted is borderline trolling.

#16 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,798 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:24 PM

While glunn was writing his warning, I was deleting posts. There is no purpose in turning every thread into "what the Twins should do in the offseason" or "Terry Ryan: what do YOU think?". Please heed glunn's advice.

#17 freshinthehouse

freshinthehouse

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

Here's what I hope:

1st: Abreu
2nd: Dozier (replaced mid-season by Rosario)
SS: Florimon (replaced by Dozier at mid-season)
3rd: Plouffe (traded/benched mid-season by Sano)
LF: Arcia
CF: Hicks
RF: Parmalee
DH: Collabello
BYTO R.I.P.

#18 Pius Jefferson

Pius Jefferson

The Southern Dandy

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:45 PM

Not what I want, but what I think the opening day lineup.

C-Mauer
1B-Plouffe
2B-Dozier
SS-Florimon
3B-Escobar
LF-Arcia
CF-[COLOR=#333333]Mastroianni
RF-Hermann
DH-Willingham

[/COLOR]

#19 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

I don't know how to project a 2014 lineup for the Twins without asking myself what Ryan should/might do in the offseason.

So I'll just say, they may have some players not on the roster right now, or they may not. Pretty sure Mauer and Dozier will be involved.

Edited by ThePuck, 01 September 2013 - 04:59 PM.

#20 Marta Shearing

Marta Shearing

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:59 PM

2b dozier
rf herrmann
1b mauer (3rd catcher)
lf willingham
dh arcia
c pinto
3b plouffe
cf presley
ss florimon

bench
parmelee
escobar
mastroanni
collabello

i think they trade doumit for a minor leaguer. I believe that, that is about all try do besides adding some minor league free agents. They do this because they will wait for prospects to come up in june/july.

What do you think?

lf arcia
cf hicks
rf parmelee/plouffe platoon
dh willingham
1b mauer
2b dozier
ss florimon
3b sano
c pinto

#21 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 554 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:00 PM

We'll play with what we've got now.

C - Mauer/Doumit/Hermann
1B - Parmalee/Colabello/Mauer
2B - Dozier ( Rosario in mid-summer)
3B - Plouffe ( Sano in mid-summer)
SS - Florimon/Dozier
LF - Willingham/Arcia
CF - Hicks/Presley
RF - Parmalee/Arcia/Hermann
DH - one of the above

I doubt any FA will be a starter. I doubt Buxton will be brought up until Sept 2014.

#22 CGNikolic

CGNikolic

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:05 PM

This is pointless to do until at least the season is done, or even after depending on how the offseason is handled by our front office. I guarantee you we do not see any of our top prospects (Sano, Rosario, Meyer) until at the trade deadline; at the earliest. It will likely be another rough year, but hopefully the last(?).

#23 MichiganTwins

MichiganTwins

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

Its not pointless if it gives us something to do with our lives while the major league team is destroying our moods. Also, you may be the only one saying none of the next wave will be up before the trade deadline.

#24 mudcat14

mudcat14

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:05 PM

I hope they give Pinto & Hermann abundant innings behind the dish from here on out this season. My hope is that they can prove to be a serviceable tandem, enabling Mauer to move full-time to 1B, fatten up and start driving the ball. With any luck, Joe has only hit about 1/3 of his career HR's so far.

#25 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

My reason for thinking this thread was appropriate is because I don't think the Twins should sign a bunch of free agent position players this offseason because they first need to know what they have in prospects coming up. It will be another tough year but we need take the right steps to assemble a quality, consistently competitive team.

What position do people want us to sign a definite starting player, long term, at that won't be blocking our prospects? 1B I think will be Mauer the majority of the rest of his career. SS would be a good one. Maybe Catcher?

Edited by Chance, 01 September 2013 - 06:41 PM.

#26 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,128 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:16 PM

Well, I am not convinced hicks will ever hit, so ellsbury. And pitching, lots of starting pitching. High upside guys to 1 year deals that can be flipped if they do well. Or tanaka, or the Cuban 1b....can always DH him ......any SS.
Lighten up Francis....

#27 shs_59

shs_59

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:30 PM

Channeling my inner Aaron Gleeman here maybe, but who gives a flock about the 2014 Twins roster? the 2015 Twins is what REALLY matters, particuallry in the second half.

1. DH Eddie Rosario
2. 2B Brian Dozier
3. 1B Joe Mauer
4. 3B Miguel Sano (rookie yr, i believe)
5. LF Oswaldo Arcia
6. RF Trevor Plouffe (hoping for an Alex Gordon lite like Turn-around)
7. C Josmil Pinto
8. CF Aaron Hicks / Alex Pressly [platoon]
9. SS Danny Santana / Pedro Florimon [platoon]
----

bench:

Florimon
Pressly
Herrmann
Collabello or Parmelee or Vargas or FA type....like a Kubel, Reynolds, or Scheirholz type.

SP 1 Brandon Morrow 3 years $16.5 M per with option for 4th + incentives; 50 million dollars. 68 Million if 4 years.
SP 2 Kyle Gibson
SP 3 Alex Meyer (could be actual rookie yr, if spends lots of time in AAA in 2014)
SP 4 Colby Lewis (replacement for Correia)
SP 5 Scott Diamond

RP 1 Glen Perkins
RP 2 Michael Tonkin (please oh please God)
RP 3 Jared Burton/ or Casey Fien
MR 4 Ryan Pressly
MR 5 Caleb Theilbar
MR 6 Trevor May
LR 7 Andrew Albers (spot 6th starter)

(some top guys in AAA)

Byron Buxton*, Daniel Ortiz, Evan Bigley, Nate Hanson, James Beresford*, Matt Koch.
Zach Jones*, Zach Jones, Zach Jones, Alex Swimmer Wimmers? , Jason Wheeler, Liam Hendriks*, Vance Worley*, AJ Achter. + Dakota Watts*

(some top guys in AA)

Travis Harrison, Jorge Polanco, A.B. Walker, Max Kepler? , Stuart Turner, Jorge Fernandez, Aderlin Mejia, Jose Berrios, Miguel Sulbaran, Mason Melotakis, Tyler Jones, Tyler Duffy, Taylor Rogers, Luke Bard?

I think Kohl Stewart will start 2015 in High A Ft. Myers but ya never know.

Edited by shs_59, 01 September 2013 - 07:32 PM.

Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AAA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-A) 5. J.O. Berrios (P-AA) 6.Nick Gordon (SS-RK)  7. *Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8.Jorge Polanco (2B-AA)  9. L. Thorpe (SP-A) 10. *Trevor May (SP-AAA) 11.Kennys Vargas (1B-AAA) 12.Travis Harrison (OF-A+) 13.Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A+) 15.Nick Burdi (RP-A)  Just Missed :P P Tyler Duffey, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

#28 Marta Shearing

Marta Shearing

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:43 PM

LF Arcia
CF Hicks
RF Presley/Parmelee/Plouffe
DH Willingham
1B Mauer
2B Dozier
SS Florimon
3B Sano
C Pinto

Make Rosario an outfielder again. Rosario (RF) and Santana (SS) midseason call ups.

LF Arcia
CF Hicks
RF Rosario
DH Willingham
1B Mauer
2B Dozier
SS Santana
3B Sano
C Pinto

In 2015 swap out Buxton for Willingham and lets roll!

CF Buxton
LF Rosario
1B Mauer
3B Sano
DH Arcia
2B Dozier
RF Hicks
C Pinto
SS Santana

#29 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,043 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

How many people thought at the start of the year that Brian Dozier would be the surest thing among the position players for 2014? How many thought that Dozier would hit the most homers for the Twins in 2013 (Quite likely, but not certain)?

Starters: Dozier 2B, Hicks CF, Mauer 1B, Willingham DH, Arcia LF, Plouffe 3B, Parmelee RF, Pinto C, Florimon SS. Bench: Herrmann, Escobar, Mastroianni, Presley

#30 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:09 PM

How many people thought at the start of the year that Brian Dozier would be the surest thing among the position players for 2014? How many thought that Dozier would hit the most homers for the Twins in 2013 (Quite likely, but not certain)?

Starters: Dozier 2B, Hicks CF, Mauer 1B, Willingham DH, Arcia LF, Plouffe 3B, Parmelee RF, Pinto C, Florimon SS. Bench: Herrmann, Escobar, Mastroianni, Presley

Dozier isn't the surest thing among the position players, Mauer is...but my belief in Dozier hasn't waivered. I've been a Dozier fans since before ST of 2012.