Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

September 1st

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jason

Jason

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:18 AM

Link
Scranton/WB vs Rochester 5:05 PM
SWB: Stoneburner (4-5, 4.65) ROC: Dean (2-2, 2.18)

Reading vs New Britain 5:35 PM
REA: Hollands (3-2, 4.63)NBR: Davies (3-0, 3.20)

Bradenton vs Fort Myers 11:05 AM
Cedar Rapids vs Clinton 2:05 PM
CR: Atherton (8-4, 2.61) CLI: Ewing (1-1, 4.91)

#2 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:57 PM

The last game of the regular season was a good one for the Miracle but not so much so for Buxton. The number one prospect in baseball was 0-3 and pulled after six innings. His first at bat he grounded back to the pitcher and induced a double play, while his third at bat, he popped up to the first baseside. Physically, he looked tired even before the game and at the plate he saw a steady diet of offspeed pitches from Montero who worked the corners as , as changing speeds (88-92mph fb). I don't know if it was just one game but that was not the same Buxton I've seen all year, hope sending him to the AFL doesn't turn out bad.

The Miracle lefty pitcher Tomshaw did not look sharp, his fastball topped early at 92mph but sat mostly round 86-88 especially after the first three innings and was erratic with his command of his offspeed also. He was very lucky to only give up seven hits and only a couple of hard hit balls, the infield defense looked strong.

Luke Bard made his 2013 FSL appearance and was amazing, he struck out two, sitting at 96 mph much of the time with a nasty slider and challenging the hitters. Adrian Salcedo was hitting 94 regularly with good off speed stuff, he continues to look like a good relief option down the road. It was nice to see the lower half of the lineup work the comeback as well as seeing the club hit MLBer James McDonald well especially Kennys Vargas monster shot. Vargas shows great power potential but his hit tool looks to be average at best. Levi Michael was once again great in the field and showed flashes of the possibility of an average hit tool going 2-2 (double) as well as working 2 walks and 2 sb. His contact is fair at best but shows no power but does show strong fundamentals at the plate and with the leather. He looks like a defensive utility man with OBP skills if he has a MLB future.

Buxton's last official regular season at bat in the Florida State League

Edited by Bob Sacamento, 01 September 2013 - 03:50 PM.

#3 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

Luke Bard 96 mph fastball

#4 howieramone1406390264

howieramone1406390264

Banned

• Banned
  • 715 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

Good report Bob. Nice to know Bard will probably start at Ft. Myers next season. With his pedigree, nice college career at a big time school, pre-draft ranking etc., I'm guessing we have a fast riser here.

#5 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:44 PM

Good report Bob. Nice to know Bard will probably start at Ft. Myers next season. With his pedigree, nice college career at a big time school, pre-draft ranking etc., I'm guessing we have a fast riser here.

I know it was just one outing but he looked good. When I saw him in instructs, he looked bad in limited action. As a reliever, he has the ability to be in the big leagues by next year. My guess is that he goes to the rotation next year and plays it from there.

#6 MichiganTwins

MichiganTwins

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:59 PM

Aaron HIcks having two good days in a row. What will it take for him to be a September callup? I understand there is one day left in the season plus playoffs maybe but any chance Hicks get a call up.

#7 stringer bell

stringer bell

No Speed, Warning Track Power

• Twins News Team
  • 3,669 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:19 PM

Norfolk wins. Their magic number is 1, Red Wings need to win tomorrow and have Norfolk lose to advance as the wild card.