Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: 20 Twins Trades: Goodbye JJ Hardy

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

SeƱior Member

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:27 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...oodbye-JJ-Hardy

"Let's get after it." ~ Someone on the Twins, probably.
Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#2 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,263 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:50 PM

That scab had nearly healed, and you had to go and pick it.

Thanks a million. :P

#3 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

That scab had nearly healed, and you had to go and pick it.

Thanks a million. :P

I generally enjoy Brad's articles. There are at least a million reasons why I won't be opening up this one.:cry::P:confused::s-instagib:

#4 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

• Members
  • 673 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:12 AM

For years Gardy played Punto when Nick wasn't hitting because 'defense' is so very important.

Then, suddenly, Gardy says we need more speed up the middle. Now the focus is on speed? Clearly he was saying these things to prepare the fans for Bill Smith's Nishi/Casilla move rather than an honest assessment of what he felt the team needed.

Like most fans, this was the move that made me question Smith's grasp of what was required. Hardy had (and still does) rated as one of the premier AL defensive SS.

And I've remained annoyed with Gardy for being Smith's apologist about this move, too.

#5 Paul

Paul

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:05 PM

[COLOR=#3E3E3E]"And I've remained annoyed with Gardy for being Smith's apologist about this move, too."

I find it hard to believe the manager of a 95 win team would allow his starting SS to be fired without having significant input into the decision. I think it much more likely this was Gardy's decision. And one not based on a sane evaluation of Hardy's on field contributions.

[/COLOR]

#6 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:13 AM

And I've remained annoyed with Gardy for being Smith's apologist about this move, too.

yeah, I completely agree with Paul's post above. Gardy pushed for 'speed' at the position and he even said that Casilla will compete with Hardy for the shortstop spot, even before Hardy was traded. Gardy didn't want Hardy, Smith listened him...like he listened to Gardy a couple offseasons earlier when Gardy said signing Punto was the team's #1 priority and that he'd be the starting shortstop if signed.

#7 LewFordLives

LewFordLives

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:15 AM

Who is this Nishioka person mentioned in the article? I don't recall him ever playing for the Twins. It never happened. Let me repeat: IT NEVER HAPPENED!